What's new
What's new

Complete shop selling out!!!

macguyver6940

Plastic
Hey all, a good friend of mine is moving out of Cali... like so many others... and needs to sell his shop full of equipment. He has listed on Facebook here: 530 SELL IT!!!
This equipment is in GREAT shape and has been used with excellent care. Price is pretty good. He would really like to sell all as a lot, but may be willing to parcel off individual units.
Sure hope this SPARKS JOY with someone here!!

There are people who won't touch Facecrap with a 10 foot pole. I'm one of them. I wish him good luck with his sale.

Yes, but the OP used qty (3) exclamation points in the title, and qty (3) in the linky.
That has to stand for something....:D

Last edited:
you guys are funny. Around here, Facebook Marketplace has pretty much replaced Craigslist as the place to find things sold by real people for low prices. I use it a fair amount. Craigslist is full of ads and scammers these days, FB marketplace is little old ladies cleaning out the garage- its where the deals are.

you guys are funny. Around here, Facebook Marketplace has pretty much replaced Craigslist as the place to find things sold by real people for low prices. I use it a fair amount. Craigslist is full of ads and scammers these days, FB marketplace is little old ladies cleaning out the garage- its where the deals are.

Actually Facebook is just a popular place for liberals to gossip.

Hey all, a good friend of mine is moving out of Cali... like so many others... and needs to sell his shop full of equipment. He has listed on Facebook here: 530 SELL IT!!!
This equipment is in GREAT shape and has been used with excellent care. Price is pretty good. He would really like to sell all as a lot, but may be willing to parcel off individual units.
Sure hope this SPARKS JOY with someone here!!

Under you "about me":
Ramsey Financial Coach

Wow, I hear them on the radio, but your posting here is putting a shadow on them.

I keep hearing this and I think it's mostly parroted by folks without a clue how to utilize craigslist.

Conservatively, Craigslist has 1000 times the deals that Facebook marketplace does. Craigslist is easier to use, better search features and I feel significantly less dirty and violated using craigslist than anytime I touch Facebook.

Craigslist's product is commerce.

Facebook's product is you.

Fuck Facebook.

I hate facebook too, pretty much never hang out there, but...

I too have heard what Ries said - lots of people I know do all their buying and selling there. And I've found craigslist to be very disappointing, lots of dealers and the same old disappointing stuff for too much $$. Kinda like ebay.

But I find the search function of facebook marketplace to be difficult to use. Maybe I'm just too old, but it just doesn't work well for me.

Last edited:
richard newman;3735037And I've found craigslist to be very disappointing said:
IMO, it's YOU not Craigslist. Craigslist deals are gone in a heartbeat. The deals are there. I don't care where you are, the deals are there. They go fast though.

I was second caller last weekend on a 60k mile 2015 Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4. Perfect nice truck. $4000 Not a joke, not a scam. Truck was sold in 20 minutes from when it was listed. $30,000 truck for $4000

That's not an unusual occurrence either.

I have a pretty nice 2nd gen Dodge Cummins 4x4 service truck. I bought it on craigslist for $1000 last summer. It's a $7500++ truck

Few months ago I bought an 81 F-250 4x4 hunting truck with a blown 300 six for $400. It had brand new ARB air lockers front and rear and new 35" MT tires.

I picked up a nice 90's mercedes car once for with title and good tags. The bolts holding the shifter to the floor came loose. Drove it home, fixed it in 1 minute and sold it for $1000 the next day.

Bought a huge selection of metrology including micrometers to 30", a late model Shaublin 102, a B&S cylindrical grinder, a bunch of nice steel shop carts and a few Wilton bullet vises from a guy for $500

I've bought a bunch of cheap forklifts.

I bought 100 16' tall 3' wide R20 value structural insulated metal panels for $3500 and then bought a freestanding 5 ton bridgecrane that came with an additional 50k lbs of good steel for $2500. I built most of my shop with that material.

Best craigslist deal I ever got was investigating a listing that showed up for just a few minutes in the free section for industrial auction leftovers. The ad was posted with an address and then removed. I rarely look in the free section, just happened to be looking right then. I took a chance and drove out 30 miles and was there at 7am the next morning. Pretty long story, but the super condensed version is I traded my services for a few days for an income stream that will generate about $80k/year for about 10 years. I'm 3 years in.

The only deal I've ever got on Facebook was a Haas VMC I bought for $1. It was a good deal, but I would put it in my top 100, not top 10.

doesn't seem an unreasonable amount for what's there and I'm sure he'd be willing to dicker if someone wanted the whole lot. I'd be tempted to buy it just for that no nose picking sign.

I keep hearing this and I think it's mostly parroted by folks without a clue how to utilize craigslist.

Conservatively, Craigslist has 1000 times the deals that Facebook marketplace does. Craigslist is easier to use, better search features and I feel significantly less dirty and violated using craigslist than anytime I touch Facebook.

Craigslist's product is commerce.

Facebook's product is you.

Fuck Facebook.

Yep. I agree completely.

For the record, I am 47 years old. I think the anti-facebook crowd are ... I dunnoo... who they are. Use it as a tool if you don't want to hang out I guess. I'm a member of alot of groups that mean something to me. No different than PM with the Donies and Thermite crowds, you follow who you want, ignore the others, what is so hard??!

Don't know whose quote, but tried to sell my beater car on CL, $5 for an add. Free on FB, had hundreds (yes!) of replies within hours, sold for a smidge profit (considering it didn't run) with no ad fees so...??

I think he should post to both sites.

There are reputable people and scams on both sites. Maybe 20% of the camper ads are scams. Our state consumer protection office isn't even interested in going after them.

I have people replying to FB ads that have no information about them on their FB page and all their friends are in Guatemala.

The search on facebook sucks. I have no idea why they even think it is usable.

You search on lathe, you get all sorts of other machine tools, but you also get sewing machines and a whole bunch of unrelated stuff. The people writing the code think they are doing you a favor by bringing in anything their search algorithm thinks fits. You also can't negate anything, so "lathe -wood" returns wood lathes on FB, but on CL that search eliminates wood lathes.

Steve

They both have their place. I've sold a lot of equipment/machinery on CL and cheap stuff on FB. I recently bought an Ellis bandsaw on FB, the old guy doesn't post so he said to his teenage daughter post this. Where do you think a teenage girl's going to post? FB of course. All I know is I have a newish bandsaw.

For the record, I am 47 years old. I think the anti-facebook crowd are ... I dunnoo... who they are. Use it as a tool if you don't want to hang out I guess. I'm a member of alot of groups that mean something to me. No different than PM with the Donies and Thermite crowds, you follow who you want, ignore the others, what is so hard??!

Facebook is not free. If you use it regularly and think it costs you nothing then Facebook has done exactly what they set out to do.

I don't have a Facebook account nor will I ever. If I see something on Marketplace I'm interested in I will ask someone else with an account to get their info for me.

Craigslist actually is essentially free except for a couple sections or if you post as a dealer. Craigslist is very transparent and doesn't have massive data farms filled with minute details of my personal habits and private information. Craigslist has never tried to influence anyone's actions or opinions. Craigslist doesn't have agendas.

Basically, if the difference isn't apparent you really ought to take a step back and try to focus on the forest instead of the tree.

For the record, I am 47 years old. I think the anti-facebook crowd are ... I dunnoo... who they are

Who doesn't like Facebook? Anybody who's concerned with Facebook's (and the tech oligarchs as a whole) ever increasing influence on our society through their use of censorship, deception, and cooperation with establishment government. Not to mention all the data mining and privacy intrusion they partake in.

Back