What's new
What's new

Craigslist funny time!

wheelieking71

Diamond
Okay, there is this old guy local to me, who has been posting two machines for sale for over three years now.
A Bridgeport: Bridgeport Mill & assessories
And,
A Southbend: Lathe [South Bend] & Assessories

Okay, his prices are steep. Real steep. And the lathe looks like its already in the scrap pile.
Not super funny. Annoying that we have been looking at these adds for over 3 years. But, funny? Ehh

Now, today! I see something funny!
Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this old geezer is off his rocker with his prices!

HAHAHA I see this: Bridgeport mill shop closed retired

And that is the Craigslist funny for today, or as long as they leave it up.

And that is the Craigslist funny for today, or as long as they leave it up.

Always post a screen shot of any Craigslist ad to keep the memories alive forever. :D

Attachments

• Craigslist Full Retard.jpg
    Craigslist Full Retard.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 6,393
  • Craigslist Pigpen Bridgeport.jpg
    Craigslist Pigpen Bridgeport.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 7,673
  • Craigslist Pigpen South Bend Lathe.jpg
    Craigslist Pigpen South Bend Lathe.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7,358
Just another post from Craigslist in fantasyland. :nutter:

You would think after 3 years, he would adjust the price, a little anyways? Nope, not one penny.

So, its one of two things. Either:

#1 The guy is nuts. And, living in a fantasy land.

OR

#2 The guy doesn't really want to sell them. And, they are only listed to appease his significant other.

Now, if they didn't look as though they had been abandoned when they were 8yrs old (esp. that poor lathe! C'mon) I might believe #2.
But, it is painfully obvious they have not been touched in years, which gets me leaning pretty heavily towards #1.

So, if the seller happens to be lurking here (hey, you never know!) Clean your junk man! I am tired of looking at the mess!

So many dreamers on craigslist. Recently came across a skid steer for sale. Add says is a pretty new model, but something looks wrong. I email and get the serial number. The manufacturer confirms that it's at least 10 years older than model it is listed as.

I email the owner that it's not what he thinks it is. I'm still interested, but not at the newer model price. He balks at my offer.

A few days later the posting is deleted. Soon a new post appears with all the updated model information that I gave the poster. The catch: same price.

However, I think the customers are the most annoying. 9 times out of 10, the customer calls, texts, or emails, and the price and pickup time are set. When the time comes, they never show up. Most times you never hear from them again.

You'd think after 3 years he'd get sick of all the calls and texts and emails wanting to know "best price" and offering up a fake check and their shipping company info. I'm motivated to sell shit so I don't have to deal with the onslaught of scammers from CA and TX with bad english.

Here is another funny add.

This guy is on CL for at least 5yrs.

---------------
uploadfromtaptalk1443058839634.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443058861510.jpg

Tool & Diemaker- Moldmaker, CNC Programmer by MasterCam V9.0, X2, X3, X5, BobCAD-CAM 3D Mill, Lathe, Wire EDM or manualy, CNC Machinist, Set up, Charmilles Wire EDM, 290 F, programm, Set Up, operat. , Jig Grinding, over 35 years experience, and over $15.000.00 on tools, looking for full , part time, contract, partneship, or consultation work, speak French, Spanish. Inglish. Resume on request.*

Phone Cell*show contact info*, single, willing to move any where

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sks/5231417011.html

Gotta love 'em. Every niche on Craigslist seems to have somebody who "knows what it's worth" and is on some secret that nobody else knows.

Here is another funny add.

This guy is on CL for at least 5yrs.

---------------
View attachment 150047

View attachment 150048

Tool & Diemaker- Moldmaker, CNC Programmer by MasterCam V9.0, X2, X3, X5, BobCAD-CAM 3D Mill, Lathe, Wire EDM or manualy, CNC Machinist, Set up, Charmilles Wire EDM, 290 F, programm, Set Up, operat. , Jig Grinding, over 35 years experience, and over $15.000.00 on tools, looking for full , part time, contract, partneship, or consultation work, speak French, Spanish. Inglish. Resume on request.*

Phone Cell*show contact info*, single, willing to move any where

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sks/5231417011.html

I'd like to see the "manualy" wire edm!! :crazy::nutter:

There is someone who posted an ad for very old semi truck and trailer for $10,000 in the wheeler dealer. The ad has been there for at least 5 years but likely a lot longer. I think wheeler dealer still has a policy of not charging for an ad until the item sells.

He lowered the price to 9K a year or so ago. Don't know if he sold part of the package or just decided it was time to lower the price.

However, I think the customers are the most annoying. 9 times out of 10, the customer calls, texts, or emails, and the price and pickup time are set. When the time comes, they never show up. Most times you never hear from them again.

Happened to me once. Went to local Mall parking lot waiting for buyer. Waited...waited and waited some more but he never showed up.

Lot's of fantasy prices on Craigslist for machine tools. Hardinge chuckers listed for 3,4 or more thousand dollars and these aren't newish machines or in like new condition with lots of tooling. Older chuckers like W&S lathes listed for 1000 or more when scrap price is all they would bring, assuming the seller could haul it to the scrap yard.

12 grand is about the standard for a glassblowing lathe. Check out Glassworking Lathes

Not sure what model was listed in the ad since it expired, but some of the models are easily $40-50k+.

I bought one a few years ago for 10k, which was a $44k machine new without chucks and had just been refurbished to new specs by the factory, and mine came with chucks. The chucks are $3,400 each.

I'm not exactly sure why glassblowing lathes cost so much, considering what they are, but that's what they cost. There is not a whole lot of places offering a well built cast iron glassblowing lathe these days.

I'm not exactly sure why glassblowing lathes cost so much, considering what they are, but that's what they cost. There is not a whole lot of places offering a well built cast iron glassblowing lathe these days.

I followed your link. Pretty cool history. Hadn't thought of people hand making vacuum tubes back in the day. If those lathes are still made in the US, the price is understandable, especially with such likely low volumes of production.

http://www.littonengr.com/About_Litton_Products.cfm

Teryk

12 grand is about the standard for a glassblowing lathe. Check out Glassworking Lathes

Not sure what model was listed in the ad since it expired, but some of the models are easily $40-50k+.

I bought one a few years ago for 10k, which was a $44k machine new without chucks and had just been refurbished to new specs by the factory, and mine came with chucks. The chucks are $3,400 each.

Because they have a "firecarriage"! ? maybe ?

Back