Craigslist funny time!
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 310
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    5,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7401
    Likes (Received)
    7464

    Default Craigslist funny time!

    Okay, there is this old guy local to me, who has been posting two machines for sale for over three years now.
    A Bridgeport: Bridgeport Mill & assessories
    And,
    A Southbend: Lathe [South Bend] & Assessories

    Okay, his prices are steep. Real steep. And the lathe looks like its already in the scrap pile.
    Not super funny. Annoying that we have been looking at these adds for over 3 years. But, funny? Ehh

    Now, today! I see something funny!
    Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this old geezer is off his rocker with his prices!

    HAHAHA I see this: Bridgeport mill shop closed retired

    And that is the Craigslist funny for today, or as long as they leave it up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18440
    Likes (Received)
    4308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    And that is the Craigslist funny for today, or as long as they leave it up.
    Always post a screen shot of any Craigslist ad to keep the memories alive forever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails craigslist-pigpen-bridgeport.jpg   craigslist-pigpen-south-bend-lathe.jpg   craigslist-full-retard.jpg  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    608
    Likes (Received)
    600

    Default

    Just another post from Craigslist in fantasyland.

  4. Likes INTEGREX GEEK liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Redwood City, CA USA
    Posts
    4,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    179
    Likes (Received)
    904

    Default

    Maybe he thinks he's in a machine tool desert. Phoenix is a desert, but...

  6. Likes INTEGREX GEEK liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    5,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7401
    Likes (Received)
    7464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabworks View Post
    Just another post from Craigslist in fantasyland.
    You would think after 3 years, he would adjust the price, a little anyways? Nope, not one penny.

    So, its one of two things. Either:

    #1 The guy is nuts. And, living in a fantasy land.

    OR

    #2 The guy doesn't really want to sell them. And, they are only listed to appease his significant other.

    Now, if they didn't look as though they had been abandoned when they were 8yrs old (esp. that poor lathe! C'mon) I might believe #2.
    But, it is painfully obvious they have not been touched in years, which gets me leaning pretty heavily towards #1.

    So, if the seller happens to be lurking here (hey, you never know!) Clean your junk man! I am tired of looking at the mess!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    11,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    8975

    Default

    So many dreamers on craigslist. Recently came across a skid steer for sale. Add says is a pretty new model, but something looks wrong. I email and get the serial number. The manufacturer confirms that it's at least 10 years older than model it is listed as.

    I email the owner that it's not what he thinks it is. I'm still interested, but not at the newer model price. He balks at my offer.

    A few days later the posting is deleted. Soon a new post appears with all the updated model information that I gave the poster. The catch: same price.


    However, I think the customers are the most annoying. 9 times out of 10, the customer calls, texts, or emails, and the price and pickup time are set. When the time comes, they never show up. Most times you never hear from them again.

  9. Likes INTEGREX GEEK, jr81452 liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    425
    Likes (Received)
    396

    Default

    You'd think after 3 years he'd get sick of all the calls and texts and emails wanting to know "best price" and offering up a fake check and their shipping company info. I'm motivated to sell shit so I don't have to deal with the onslaught of scammers from CA and TX with bad english.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    272
    Likes (Received)
    155

    Default

    Here is another funny add.

    This guy is on CL for at least 5yrs.


    ---------------
    uploadfromtaptalk1443058839634.jpg

    uploadfromtaptalk1443058861510.jpg

    Tool & Diemaker- Moldmaker, CNC Programmer by MasterCam V9.0, X2, X3, X5, BobCAD-CAM 3D Mill, Lathe, Wire EDM or manualy, CNC Machinist, Set up, Charmilles Wire EDM, 290 F, programm, Set Up, operat. , Jig Grinding, over 35 years experience, and over $15.000.00 on tools, looking for full , part time, contract, partneship, or consultation work, speak French, Spanish. Inglish. Resume on request.*

    Phone Cell*show contact info*, single, willing to move any where


    https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sks/5231417011.html

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    5,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7401
    Likes (Received)
    7464

    Default

    Hey, at least he doesn't speak ingrish! Doh! Bad joke. "Lord I appologize"

  13. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Gotta love 'em. Every niche on Craigslist seems to have somebody who "knows what it's worth" and is on some secret that nobody else knows.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    547
    Likes (Received)
    606

    Default

    This one's probably been on for five years. It's actually a local joke with machinists here:

    Attention Machinists- Starrett Granite Surface Plate

    Machinist's - Starrett granite surface plate. 4" X 18" X 24". True to .0005 inch. For machine shop use.
    Very good condition. Very heavy. $350

    Steve

  16. Likes INTEGREX GEEK liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1539
    Likes (Received)
    1766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTEGREX GEEK View Post
    Here is another funny add.

    This guy is on CL for at least 5yrs.


    ---------------
    uploadfromtaptalk1443058839634.jpg

    uploadfromtaptalk1443058861510.jpg

    Tool & Diemaker- Moldmaker, CNC Programmer by MasterCam V9.0, X2, X3, X5, BobCAD-CAM 3D Mill, Lathe, Wire EDM or manualy, CNC Machinist, Set up, Charmilles Wire EDM, 290 F, programm, Set Up, operat. , Jig Grinding, over 35 years experience, and over $15.000.00 on tools, looking for full , part time, contract, partneship, or consultation work, speak French, Spanish. Inglish. Resume on request.*

    Phone Cell*show contact info*, single, willing to move any where


    https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/sks/5231417011.html
    I'd like to see the "manualy" wire edm!!

  18. Likes INTEGREX GEEK liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    741
    Likes (Received)
    673

    Default

    I sometimes see ads for the same prices around here, but the location has to be set to
    fantasy_island_1978-show.jpg

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3308
    Likes (Received)
    1726

    Default

    There is someone who posted an ad for very old semi truck and trailer for $10,000 in the wheeler dealer. The ad has been there for at least 5 years but likely a lot longer. I think wheeler dealer still has a policy of not charging for an ad until the item sells.

    He lowered the price to 9K a year or so ago. Don't know if he sold part of the package or just decided it was time to lower the price.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,941
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    216
    Likes (Received)
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    However, I think the customers are the most annoying. 9 times out of 10, the customer calls, texts, or emails, and the price and pickup time are set. When the time comes, they never show up. Most times you never hear from them again.
    Happened to me once. Went to local Mall parking lot waiting for buyer. Waited...waited and waited some more but he never showed up.

    Lot's of fantasy prices on Craigslist for machine tools. Hardinge chuckers listed for 3,4 or more thousand dollars and these aren't newish machines or in like new condition with lots of tooling. Older chuckers like W&S lathes listed for 1000 or more when scrap price is all they would bring, assuming the seller could haul it to the scrap yard.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    bainbridge island
    Posts
    1,149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    220
    Likes (Received)
    272

    Default

    Glass blowing equipment litton lathe
    12 grand for a simple glass blowing lathe.

    LOOKING TO BUY CRAFTSMAN 12'' METAL LATHE ...QUICK CHANGE GEARBOX
    this guy is getting annoying. has been posting the same request for the last 2-3 years.
    i would spend the time to design and pay a friend of mine 10$ to 3-d print one just to make him go away lol...

  23. Likes jljim liked this post
  24. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    272
    Likes (Received)
    155

    Default

    Same guy .
    Just spamming CL

    Multiple posts


    uploadfromtaptalk1444302204012.jpg

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    304
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    12 grand is about the standard for a glassblowing lathe. Check out Glassworking Lathes

    Not sure what model was listed in the ad since it expired, but some of the models are easily $40-50k+.

    I bought one a few years ago for 10k, which was a $44k machine new without chucks and had just been refurbished to new specs by the factory, and mine came with chucks. The chucks are $3,400 each.

    I'm not exactly sure why glassblowing lathes cost so much, considering what they are, but that's what they cost. There is not a whole lot of places offering a well built cast iron glassblowing lathe these days.

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    corvallis,or
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    89
    Likes (Received)
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazemaster View Post
    I'm not exactly sure why glassblowing lathes cost so much, considering what they are, but that's what they cost. There is not a whole lot of places offering a well built cast iron glassblowing lathe these days.
    I followed your link. Pretty cool history. Hadn't thought of people hand making vacuum tubes back in the day. If those lathes are still made in the US, the price is understandable, especially with such likely low volumes of production.

    http://www.littonengr.com/About_Litton_Products.cfm

    Teryk

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1539
    Likes (Received)
    1766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazemaster View Post
    12 grand is about the standard for a glassblowing lathe. Check out Glassworking Lathes

    Not sure what model was listed in the ad since it expired, but some of the models are easily $40-50k+.

    I bought one a few years ago for 10k, which was a $44k machine new without chucks and had just been refurbished to new specs by the factory, and mine came with chucks. The chucks are $3,400 each.

    I'm not exactly sure why glassblowing lathes cost so much, considering what they are, but that's what they cost. There is not a whole lot of places offering a well built cast iron glassblowing lathe these days.
    Because they have a "firecarriage"! ? maybe ?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •