What's new
What's new

craigslist funny time!

Man I’d be driving up to pick that up right now if it were not so far away. How do you find these great deals. :sarcasm:

I've got a vise that looks identical to that (got it at an auction for basically nothing). It doesn't have a name plate, and I had just assumed that it was a Chinese no-name brand. Anyone know if these were common designs to copy or if the one I've got would likely be a Wilson?

That Wilton is an 8" vise. It's not under-priced, but you aren't going to get a 8" Kurt for that either...

edit: ripper beat me to it...:)

I guess I didn't realize it is an 8" vise. That is a little better I guess?
I still only see about $350 (I was at about $150 when I thought (ass-umed) it was 6")

Funny how we all revert back to 6" without size reference....Ida thought the same thing if I didn't look up the part number lol

Here's an add for new @ 502.00 USD
Wilton Tools 12390: Verti-Lock Machine 8" Vise 1280N | JEGS
When something seems too good to be true...

I can't help but think there's a typo in there. The Wilton stock number (12390) and price in that ad match a 5" vise, the description is of an 8". Wilton stock number for the 8" Versa lock is 12375.

I might call Jegs- $500 for a new 8" is a steal...

I have had a Wilton bench vise for 30+ years and never knew they made mill vises.

When something seems too good to be true...

I can't help but think there's a typo in there. The Wilton stock number (12390) and price in that ad match a 5" vise, the description is of an 8". Wilton stock number for the 8" Versa lock is 12375.

I might call Jegs- $500 for a new 8" is a steal...

And looks like they have a coupon $50 off $500... Brings it to $450. (SAVEMORE)

I have had a Wilton bench vise for 30+ years and never knew they made mill vises.

AFAIK, those are still made, but I'm certain they now offer some "big box store priced" (I'll assume imported) vices too. I wonder which line is more indicative of their mill vice offerings?

AFAIK, those are still made, but I'm certain they now offer some "big box store priced" (I'll assume imported) vices too. I wonder which line is more indicative of their mill vice offerings?

I bought my first professional grade tool box, a cantilever style Kennedy when I was 16 and that was over 40 years ago. I still have many of the tools that rode around in my trunk when I went to High School in the 70's. I am amazed when I pick up certain tools that say "Made in USA" on them knowing they are a type that haven't been made here in ages.

I know a lot of people on this forum are not Facebook users. On Facebook there is a section called the Marketplace. A lot of stuff cheap due to people not knowing what they have. I missed a Rusnock vertical mill for $85 in northern New Jersey a few days ago. Search for whatever is on your mind and you will be amazed.

Would you pay anywhere near 2 grand for it though?
To put it to work, no. But as a showpiece, sure. It would be a great statement piece for an industrial themed brew pub or restaurant.

It's sort of in-between a drill press and a radial drill. There are applications for that kind of drilling even today. Water passages on molds, the sort of thing that would otherwise go on a radial drill.

But I think it's real value is decorative. It doesn't have a huge footprint, but it's still large enough to draw attention.

Back