What's new
What's new

Craigslist : Some Lunatic Wants to Buy a Shop, Detroit Area

I'd like to hear the story behind that. He's got $5M in cash to work with? I can't help thinking the real business is something other than machining.

Wait, wait. I've got a bridge crane and a bridge mill to sell you.

Seriously, if it is you -- what sort of replies are you getting?

I've got a shop, AND a bridge I'd like to sell.

In Brooklyn, unfortunately, so I guess that rules me out.

But heck, guys - it says "THIS AD IS REAL"! How could anyone doubt the veracity of the buyer-to-be??

What's cool about the Craigslist ad is that the guy with $5 million "cash in hand" (presumably 50,000 photos of Benjamin F.) didn't bother to actually pay Getty Images $50 or so for a legal version of the smiling CNC dude picture used in the ad. Just the watermarked preview version, not to be used for commercial purposes.

Which starts the whole process with copyright infringement . . .

I've got a shop, AND a bridge I'd like to sell.

In Brooklyn, unfortunately, so I guess that rules me out.

But heck, guys - it says "THIS AD IS REAL"! How could anyone doubt the veracity of the buyer-to-be??

Veracity is down the drain advertising 500k to 5mil available. Not to mention 500k wouldn't equip a true, productive fab AND machining facility, even in Detroit. Highly suspect intent is actually a front.
It's happening in CA, huge overbids on desert land, that turn out to be marijuana operations. Legal or not, it's only been in place a short time, that's a lot of cash in short order.

I've noticed a significant uptick in machine shops for sale for retarded prices in the last couple weeks.

Manufacturing is starting to be valued fairly?

I've noticed a significant uptick in machine shops for sale for retarded prices in the last couple weeks.

Manufacturing is starting to be valued fairly?

Point. I had a standing 2 million open-to-buy acquisition budget when Esterline was on a roll under Gerry Andlinger's Chairmanship, two step above me, dawn of the 1970's. I was still in my late 20's. Titmus Optical sale was my call.

Years later, Terry Matthews commit to the Ogdensburg, NY plant was largely off the back of our deal for product C&W needed.

This s**t goes on all the time. No "drug deals" involved.

No Mitt Romney's involved, either! Real folks. Builders of the future who know their s**t, not cheating, opportunistic, KKR-style ass-rapers of the dead and dying.

Think Romney and Bain were scoundrels? Just research KKR! How TF they've stayed "mostly" out of jail .. or the morgue .. beggars belief!

Nor is the advertiser REALLY ponying-up "free money".

IF, repeat IF, a value is there? A deal may proceed. If not, not.

Read "damned SELDOM!"

Worn-out commercial air ass and even private plane as well as Hertz Buicks or Audi's & Alfa's in Europe going to Op-Audit deals that I had to call sure-fire losers.

Big Corp don't pay yah to fail them.

Meant to go forth and find Unicorns, not Albatrosses.

He just needs your bank account, Social Security # and Visa card number sent to Nigeria to start the deposit transaction!

LOL! Solved a major problem for a client, one assignment, by putting a superbly qualified Nigerian in.... and as Director of IS/IT! BIG guy, physically, too!

"Multicultural" London, indeed!

Sure messed-up the heads and game plans of the Paki, Saudi, "Persian", and more than one Hindoo factions as had been warring on each other!

:D

Back