What's new
What's new

Datron Neo Series 2+, New spindle, Complete Datron Vacuum Chuck System, and More

WallaceDesign

Plastic
I am selling my 2016 Neo Series 2 that I bought directly from Datron, used but actually pulled from some sort of demo booth in Chicago - which makes me the first owner. The machine has ~5700 power on hours and ~350 total machine cutting hours on it. It has a new spindle with 0.25 cutting hours and 4 hours of warm up and break-in. On this machine, the spindle is the only thing I have had an issue with. I think that before I bought the machine when it was living in a sales booth, the spindle was probably run flat out without being warmed up in an effort to sell machines. Mine very suddenly went bad and it was replaced promptly under warranty by a service tech and I wasnt charged anything. I am selling the machine because the work I bought it to perform is on indefinite hold for pandemic-related reasons. It doesnt make sense for me to just have it sitting idle, lonely, and depreciating. I might be making a couple more parts over the next couple weeks to close out some previous obligations, but that wont amount to more than 5 or 6 hours of cutting.

The machine was built in 2016 as a Neo Series 1+. I bought it used (by Datron), direct from Datron. The factory warranty will expire 9/1/2021 +/- a few days. Before I took delivery of the machine, I had it overhauled to Series 2 spec, so its exactly the hardware you would get if you bought one new today. Everything listed below wouldnt come with a new unit unless you purchased it.

It comes with:
- Whatever used tooling I havent sold from my other post. Thats more than a 24-tool magazines tooling, all of which has about 100 hours of cutting time, combined.
- About 26 tool holders/collets for 0.25in and smaller - metric and standard, a number of 8mm press-on retainers (they are inexpensive, I dont remember how many I have on hand), and a few of the larger set screw type holders. Again, far more holders than needed to fill the entire tool rack.
- (2x) Vacuum chucks, one of them brand new and unused, one of them lightly used. The lightly used one has a cosmetic issue where I accidentally touched it with an end mill. Doesnt affect functionality in any sense. See pictures.
- A stack of Vac-Cards 3 inches thick. In this stack are all three types of Vac-Card that Datron sells.
- The Busch Vacuum pump that Datron sells with it, plus the Datron contactor kit so that the pump can be activated remotely from the machine interface. This has maybe 40 hours on it. I fabricated an exhaust filter for this, too.
- Datron maintenance kit, Datron collet tool, Datron tool retainer installer tool, Datron probe calibration device.
- Bed adapter plate for an Orange Vice, 9in Delta IV (bolt-on attachment type)
- 9in Orange Vise Delta IV, two sets of soft jaws, plus the serrated hard jaws that come standard.
- This Neo was factory-upgraded to Series 2 so it has a faster interface computer, a more accurate breakaway Rennishaw probe, an uprated spindle chiller, and some vacuum, spindle coolant, and cutting coolant sensors that pause the machine if one reads low.
- This Neo was factory-upgraded to run on single phase 240vac with a 20A breaker.
- All of my tool libraries, templates, etc in Fusion 360. As an aside, when I asked for tool settings for the Neo - for tools that Datron makes and sells! - I was told to work it out on my own and then given a huge spreadsheet of tool settings for another machine - the M8, and a tiny spreadsheet for the Neo that only included Datrons end mills and was mostly just settings for aluminum anyway. Most of the Neo settings ended up being too aggressive for the machine (IMHO), and the M8 stuff was for a much stouter spindle so I had to test cut and check every single setting I plugged into Fusion, anyway.
- All manuals and documentation.
- Factory warranty until 9/1/2021 (+/- a few days, I think its 9/1).

I attended training at Datron West in California. If youve run a mill before then you really dont need to attend training. Between the brilliant user interface and the well written and exhaustive instruction manual, everything is covered. Having my Bespoke Neo Fusion library would take most the guesswork out of setting up your application. Plus its under warranty so you can just call Datron if you want to know anything.

I am asking $107,500 - which is $7500 and 360 cutting hours more and 6mo warranty less than a new machine. But, its something like $25,000 less than the cost of buying it all new for a *very* seldom used machine, and Datron does not provide any safe settings with which to plug into your CAM system. Depending on how you value your time that could be a savings as well. I do not pay freight, nor will I crate the machine - mostly for liability reasons. I can of course facilitate those things. The machine is in Colorado, Denver area, if you're interested and youd like to come see and/or buy it.

I'm hosting the pictures on Google Drive due to size constraints in the forum. Please have a look and thank you for your interest.
Datron Neo For Sale - Google Drive

Back