What's new
What's new

Enco 111-1445 Lathe in Powell, TN. $7900

Noshinchan

Plastic
Gentlemen,

I'm not a machinist (a machinist friend suggested this site) but am in charge of selling a lathe used by a serious hobbyist for making boat engine parts. It's an Enco 111-1445 with numerical control, retired only because the user is now 82 and running out of steam. It sits in its original place and can be powered up for testing, with a 12' overhead door 10' away (no dock).

I'll try to answer questions, but suspect your best option will be to see in person. There are a number of related tools open for in-person offers (no list or prices yet). Opinions on price, etc. are welcome.

Enco (3).jpgEnco (4).jpgEnco (10).jpgEnco (12).jpg

Gentlemen,

I'm not a machinist (a machinist friend suggested this site) but am in charge of selling a lathe used by a serious hobbyist for making boat engine parts. It's an Enco 111-1445 with numerical control, retired only because the user is now 82 and running out of steam. It sits in its original place and can be powered up for testing, with a 12' overhead door 10' away (no dock).

I'll try to answer questions, but suspect your best option will be to see in person. There are a number of related tools open for in-person offers (no list or prices yet). Opinions on price, etc. are welcome.

View attachment 322109View attachment 322110View attachment 322111View attachment 322112

I'm not seeing any "Numerical control".

I am seeing a digital readout box.

An Enco is likely a low end rebranded Chinese machine, brand new similar quality and sized lathes go for around $6k with some tooling. If that lathe has a decent amount of tooling with it and everything works and it isn't worn out you are probably looking at around a value of $2500 or so. You should list everything that comes with it or at least put it in a pile and take a picture of it.

tough position to be in, selling something for someone else that you know nothing about. I'd strongly suggest getting your machinist friend involved (for beer, donuts, pie?) to get a better feel for what goes with what and roughly how much it's worth.

Cleaning out the chip pan and giving it a once over with a rag wouldn't hurt your chances either :)

...Cleaning out the chip pan and giving it a once over with a rag wouldn't hurt your chances either :)

Yeah. Always amazes me how many lathes or other machine tools end up on Craigslist or Facebook looking
like shit. Chips everywhere, dirty, piled high with crap and no tooling shown. If the guy who is selling it doesn't
care enough to clean it up you always wonder how he looked after it while he was running it...

Yeah. Always amazes me how many lathes or other machine tools end up on Craigslist or Facebook looking
like shit. Chips everywhere, dirty, piled high with crap and no tooling shown. If the guy who is selling it doesn't
care enough to clean it up you always wonder how he looked after it while he was running it...

Uh.. welll. Actually.. that is mayhap the ONLY thing you do NOT "wonder" about.

The evidence of cumulative - not just "recent" - neglect is right in front of you whether wear is or not!

"82" ain't far off, I should live a few more year and still be able to pick-up a chip brush, spray can, and shop towel, but some of that filth is the accumulation of a score or more of years - not just a decade.

And yet? Could come clean in 30 minutes of not overly onerous work.

As to "boat parts"? 650 navigable miles Knoxville to the Ohio, thence to the Misssisippi and the Gulf for the bluewater oceans of the whole world, but still..

Colour that recreational watercraft, a lathe that size. Not massive Marine Diesel barge towboats?

Got what I was asking for; lots of good advice which I appreciate. I'll clean it up, hassle my machinist friend for calling the digital readout a numeric control (he's new to the trade), and find a better class of experts to consult. For the curious, Knoxville has plenty of good water around for racing speedboats, and the owner was a local hero for building stuff and going fast. There's a Hostek KBC 386P EDM to sell too.

Am I right in thinking I can't edit the original post?

QT: [Am I right in thinking I can't edit the original post?]

The original post is fine.. You should not want to change it or the thread won't make sense.

Agree $1200 to $3500 depending on condition and accessories.

That late a lathe if cared for would be still mint if cleaned and oiled properly.

Got what I was asking for; lots of good advice which I appreciate. I'll clean it up, hassle my machinist friend for calling the digital readout a numeric control (he's new to the trade), and find a better class of experts to consult. For the curious, Knoxville has plenty of good water around for racing speedboats, and the owner was a local hero for building stuff and going fast. There's a Hostek KBC 386P EDM to sell too.
Pardon me ?

"Local Hero"..... wow that should be worth a few grand on the price tag....

Am I right in thinking I can't edit the original post?

Not after - theoretically - about 21 hours, no. It actually varies by DB maintenance runs, but "too late, now", regardless.'

OTOH, no need. It got the ball rolling.

"As displayed", the lathe is "worth" maybe $1,200 for reasonably quick sale.

IF your "client" is willing to doll it up and WAIT for many months, maybe double that. Not a lot more.

They were "decent", even very well-liked. But that is not the same as "legendary-good".

And no one REALLY much cares what it was a(ny) previous owner used a(ny) machine-tool FOR.. unless it meant extremely good care and far lesser wear than average.

Wear on this one? Could was it actually IS lesser than average.

Signs of neglect often indicate very infrequent use as one turns a modest one-off part, then rushes-off to do other "stuff", leaving the lathe unkept.

Those in all-day production HAVE to be cleaned-up, lest the operator be buried at his post in turnings at risk of being unable to even see the tool-tip and razored to the "death of a thousand cuts"!

Such it is with "subtractive machining" as a small and nicely shaped final part is "dug out of" a far larger mass of alloy.... the "net difference" in mass turned into sharpish "chips"!

2CW

always neat to know the history of stuff, but that won't add anything much to the price. Now if it were an American Pacemaker, maybe..

Like anything price = location, condition, goodies

Down here, well equipped in excellent condition you might get $5k for it. Up in the north east or midwest, barebones and with issues you might be lucky to get a grand.

should have spent time coming to look at the machine instead of stating what it's not worth, the prices of lathes have gone astronomical these days if you haven't noticed , well worth the price negotiated , especially with some of the attachments I got with it, 2 skoda live centers, a brand new yama 10" 6 jaw indexable chuck, the ways on the machine look incredible , very low hours on it just needed a good cleanup , these are not show cars there meant to have metal and oil all over them , if your chip pan ain't filthy then your doing it wrong ...... Look at what these lathes are selling for now, and mind you this thing isn't your hobby size lathe , has a 10" 3 jaw chuck , 14" faceplate, 12" 4 jaw, the swing over the bed is 16" , even the compound is massive it's a good 6" wide and requires a cxa tool post, the tailstock weigjs in at 100lbs alone, the machine weight is 4500lbs last hobby size I had was a 13x40 and had a nice steel base for it and it weighed in at 1800lbs......a new equivalent of this lathe is over 20 grand from msc, grizzly just to name a couple

Some of the stuff people think is massive really makes me grin. :D I've run machines you could chuck 2 of those things up in end to end flat on the chuck and turn them into chips.

I've got a machine that's right about the same size in my garage at home. It's about 2,500 pounds, I actually weighed it myself with a hanging scale. I find it extremely hard to believe that there are anywhere near 4,500 pounds in that thing, unless you're weighing it with all sorts of other stuff piled on top? 😄

Some of the stuff people think is massive really makes me grin. :D I've run machines you could chuck 2 of those things up in end to end flat on the chuck and turn them into chips.

I've got a machine that's right about the same size in my garage at home. It's about 2,500 pounds, I actually weighed it myself with a hanging scale. I find it extremely hard to believe that there are anywhere near 4,500 pounds in that thing, unless you're weighing it with all sorts of other stuff piled on top? 😄
Oh Yes it does weigh that.....my tractor will lift 3500 lbs before the ass lifts off the ground and it will not budge this the thing.....drag it around yeah lift hell no....and yeah I e seen and operated bigger machines, no you can't build a ship propeller on it but it's just a 14x45 . It's more of production sized machine and not a hobby lathe.msc still sells a version of this machine labeled a 16x40 now all the specs are there. I've had a13x40 hobby lathe it weighed 1600lbs, had a supermax 14x40 and if you know anything about the supermax there heavy built for that size it was 2500lbs but this thing is twice the size of the supermax. Grizzly use to sell this machine as a 16x40 g0749 you can go to there site still and pull specs up

"An Enco is likely a low end rebranded Chinese machine, brand new similar quality and sized lathes go for around $6k with some tooling. "

i disagree . a new chinese Acra would be 10x the machine . Enco machinery
was the worst of the worst . they were sort of Jet lookalikes at the time , but with
worse -than -harbor freight quality . i used to buy shop supplies at enco , when they
had a retail store in Atlanta in the early '90s . the lack of any sort of fit/finish was
comical. crude parts slathered in paint ... rough leadscrews on lathes and mills..
misspelled engrish on tags and plaques . we would get a good laugh whenever we went to their showroom.

a bit later , they sold cosmetically similar lathes of better quality called "Turn Pro"
and 'Rong Fu' (wrong, fool ! ) which were much more expensive . i believe they later morphed into MSC branded tools.

with the current cost of freight and rigging, i wouldn't take that lathe if it were free.

Back