What's new
What's new

Estate sale, lathes, mill, etc

Mebfab

Diamond
Helping with an estate sale. Father was a toolmaker and this is his personal shop. All the equipment looks to be in excellent condition. Tooling included.

South bend model 9A $3500 (scraped bed, looks great, tooled)

Rockwell lathe $2500

Enco mill (bp copy) 3500 (bought new, little use, very very well tooled)

Delta toolmakers grinder $2000 (looks new)

Nichols mill, vise, x axis screw feed $1000

Delta drill press, woodworking machines, gun safe, etc.

If i am way off on pricing let me know. Wasnt sure how to price some of it because of condition and amount of tooling.

The pickers went through the house and took advantage of her.

Will post pics later.

well.. hmm.. just off the cuff, I'd say if things were cleaned up a bit to enhance the "drool factor", and the "well tooled" aspect was fleshed out a bit, and with MUCH better pics, you might get those prices.

if your interest is to help out the parties involved, I might consider a vary basic tooling package with each machine, reduce prices on the heavy(ish)iron, and a well itemized listing of other items might bring more return.

stuff that can be (relatively) easily shipped can bring good money if in nice condition (indexers, rotary tables, metrology, etc) . it's a question of how much time someone is wiling to put into cleaning, photographing, and dealing with prospective buyers, and how long they are willing to wait to get the max return.

I had about an hour to look everything over and take pics. So the above was best i could get for now. I am fully aware that we could split off tooling for better prices. But at this point hope to find someone localish or willing to drive over and buy the machine and all its tooling as a lot.

I'd second the idea of pricing the basic machine separately from a tooling package. Price those machines at about half the above and you'll get more inquiries. Prices seem about 2x what would have enticed me to take a look, back when I didn't have a lathe, surface grinder, mill etc. Note in the ad that the tooling packages are separate.

And then when buyers show up point out that most folks buy a lathe, mill, grinder etc. and don't realize they'll end up spending way more for tooling. Even if you insist on selling each machine WITH its apparently abundant tooling, it will seem a better deal to buyers and give you a shot at the sale. I ended up selling 19 machine tools when I was told I had 6 months left with cancer. That's how I sold those 19 tools within a month or so. (I'm now happily living past my expiration date -- and buying back a bunch of stuff; but that's another story).

If someone really does't want a center or follow rest, extra grinder hubs, a US made Spindex, etc. --- but buys most of a machine and its tooling - those smaller items sell well on Ebay.

I may be be wrong here but the delta drill press is probably actually a mortiser. A woodworking
machine that drills square holes.

Probably worth more than even a nice condition delta drill press would sell for.

I may be be wrong here but the delta drill press is probably actually a mortiser. A woodworking

Probably worth more than even a nice condition delta drill press would sell for.

It looks like it is an add on mortising attachment. I had one of those years ago for my drill press. It never worked very well. I do now have a dedicated mortising machine. Like night and day.

Brian

I dont deal in woodworking machines, what do you think its worth?
Drill press by itself maybe $250 due to great condition and mortiser $75-$100 depending on how many bits? The 4 bits sell for $75. New ones (Delta) at Home cheapo are $139 but looks like yours is a different brand, maybe better as it looks more stout. Link to one online, could not get HD link to work:Delta 17924 Mortising Attachment Kit
This youtube likes the attachment and shows its use: Drill Press Mortising - YouTube

Last edited:

It's a Delta drill press with a mortising attachment. I have the same setup on a Dunlap (Can I say that?).

One tipoff is that the paint is different.

Steve

Back