What's new
What's new

Fadal 4020HT - Seattle Craigslist

I’d be all over that if it was even remotely local, I don’t have the balls to buy sight unseen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It might be a good deal. It might just be an OK deal: 31 year old machine, 88 control, table looks decent and in general it looks well maintained (although that replacement keyboard looks like a downgrade from OEM). It's really unlikely it's a great deal. You can probably get a machine with rigid tap and a -5 control for the same or not much more.

For someone who just needs to do fairly simple stuff in hard material, I can see it being a real money maker though.

It might be a good deal. It might just be an OK deal: 31 year old machine, 88 control, table looks decent and in general it looks well maintained (although that replacement keyboard looks like a downgrade from OEM). It's really unlikely it's a great deal. You can probably get a machine with rigid tap and a -5 control for the same or not much more.

For someone who just needs to do fairly simple stuff in hard material, I can see it being a real money maker though.

Everyone keeps talking about these great cheap Fadals out there. I have been looking semi-serious for a couple years. Most 4020s are over $10k and they look a lot worse than the one posted above, many are much more ( dealer listed price)

Maybe the one above has sat broken since new, but the paint inside the enclosure , the table and the way covers(posssibly replaced) tell me that it had very little use. If it was a 3016l I’d buy it unseen, but the 4020 is a tad bigger than I want right now, and the potential for bad turcite scares me off a distance purchase unless really cheap.
Too bad it’s not a HS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was talking with a guy in March about a mid-'90s 4020 in upstate NY for under $10k, I know they're out there. I paid $4,500 for a '98 3016 with -5 processor and rigid tapping (except the EEPROMs, which must have been switched to another machine) in April.

That said, I got it from a liquidation. I wouldn't buy from a dealer unless you're looking to get screwed. Buying from someone who just wants to sell the machine should still net you a decent deal (better than this one, at least).

For the PNW, this one "appears" to be a great deal. There is a similar one on there that doesn't appear as nice listed for $14k, which is more standard for what I have seen over the last two years. They will get down to ~10K, but those go quickly if they aren't in bad shape.

A plane ticket to check out a machine elsewhere, and freight to move it, and you're probably in the same price ballpark for a better machine, having just gone through this exact experience. I saw a lot in southern California, and I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get those to Washington (or go check them out from there).

It's cheaper to replace Turcite or drop a fixture plate on a Fadal than it is to upgrade to a -5 processor or rigid tapping, which for me were critical factors. For someone else they may not matter much, if at all.

Back