What's new
What's new

Fantasy Island eBay machine tool listing of the day....

Hey now, it would make an exceptional boat anchor. Oh wait, Nebraska is kinda far from water........

Here's a screenshot to preserve it forever:

2020-11-11 09_41_15.jpg

The flat belt is made from Rich Corinthian Leather!
If anyone understands the relate...
:) An interesting factoid is that Chrysler just made up the term "Corinthian Leather" as there is no such thing really....

It is always kind of sad to see these things. If it were offered “free to haul” I bet someone would take it and get a lot of joy out of it. At least it would be better than melting it down and making more useless junk.

On the other hand—out-of-touch prices prevent me from dragging yet more stuff home...

It is always kind of sad to see these things. If it were offered “free to haul” I bet someone would take it and get a lot of joy out of it. At least it would be better than melting it down and making more useless junk.

On the other hand—out-of-touch prices prevent me from dragging yet more stuff home...

It seems common in these cases that when the seller doesn't get their inflated price, they immediately let it go to the scrapper....

Might be surprised. I live in rural Wisconsin and I know of two shops that have similar machines, both in regular use. One is a sole proprietor farm tractor/implement repair shop that stays busy year-round and the other is a farmer who, when he's not farming, rebuilds tractor trailer engines, like two stroke Detroit diesels. He's also a certified aircraft mechanic with two planes of his own, so no slouch when it comes to mechanical ability.

I know of a barn in Nebraska that you can't barely get into, the old farmer runs a machine shop all winter.

I used to buy auto parts from a supply house, several of those in the engine shop....

My first lathe, bought 50 yrs ago, was a similar 17" Leblond Heavy Duty. Maybe even older,no lead screw, just a few speeds. Bought it to make banjo rims, but then got cutting metal, and got hooked. Luckily I didn't know enuf to be intimidated, so I cobbled together all sorts of stuff for it,including a fixturing plate to replace the compound so I could do some milling on it with an old arbor held between 4 jaw and tailstock.

When I replaced it with a 17" Regal round head, I was able to sell it to a guy who repaired trailers, he loved it. Old iron doesn't have to die, just needs someone with low expectations.

:) An interesting factoid is that Chrysler just made up the term "Corinthian Leather" as there is no such thing really....

Oh, yes there is!

Problem is the old wimmin living inside of it, Corinth, Greece, or the old cowpokes, Corinth, Texas, get right stroppy you mistakes either one of 'em for up-hole-stery!!!...

"An interesting factoid" is that the "Connolly hides" [1] that park yerazz in a Supermarine Spitfire, Royce, Bentley, or Jaguar "etc" .. were named after those who prepared the leather .... rather than those on whom it was growed.

:D

[1] Connolly Leather - Wikipedia

Back