What's new
What's new

Forklift wanted, small 2-4000 pound capacity.

I am looking for a smaller forklift, for going in and out of trucks. 2000-4000 pound lift, anything EXCEPT electric. Hard tires or air tires are fine. Need it right away. The closer to Pittsburgh, the better to save on shipping costs. Anybody have anything?

Why not electric ? (I may be able to shoot down your objections once I know what they are ;) )

But if electric remains out, and assuming by "going in and out of trucks" you actually mean "in and out of enclosed semi trailers", then you need to look for a forklift specifically for that purpose, as LP powered versions do exist with masts so short that you can even raise a 4 foot tall crate high enough to stack another on top inside an enclosed semi trailer without the mast hitting the top of the trailer.

And the nice part is, since most folks *don't* want one like that (since their ultimate raise height is compromised for other purposes), when you do find one like that they sell pretty cheap.
There is a specific name for that type, which escapes me at the moment...maybe a "freight car" or "box car" forklift...as historically they were developed for unloading train freight cars. Larger ones (6K and up) tend toward being shorter overall as well, with tall counterweights.

Why not electric? Because I forget things a lot and will forget to plug it in to charge.
Really, I have never had any luck with electric lifts. I always kill the battery after 2 years somehow and I can't fix that myself.
And you know what I am looking for, Inside a semi trailer, a "Boxcar Special" I have seen them called. But it doesn't have to be exactly that, just a small lift that can drive inside a truck. Not too picky. But what you described would sure make my life easier. And sorry one more correction, this one must be propane, so that I don't die when I am running it inside a trailer.

I have a 93 Toyota hard tire 5000# in Detroit if interested.
The truck runs like crap and I haven't had time to look at it yet, don't know much about lift trucks but if you have any questions just ask and I will try and get the info for you.
I'm asking $1750.00 loaded here in Detroit.

I also have a 1971 S80B Hyster with oil clutch and 220 inch lift with hard tires that needs some electrical work, I would like to get $1500.00 for it.
This truck runs and drives but needs some work.
Both trucks are propane and I'm just trying recoup some of the cost for these trucks as I replaced them with a newer Hyster.

Again I'm not a dealer just trying to make some room for more interesting projects.

Thanks, Kevin.

[email protected]

The truck runs like crap
Is part of the "crap" aspect that it vibrates excessively at RPM's slightly above idle ? If so, it has a GM engine and nothing much one can do about it. But if it's just eratic in general, could just need propane system cleaning out.

"And sorry one more correction, this one must be propane, so that I don't die when I am running it inside a trailer."

Propane'll kill ya just as fast as anything else inside a trailer won't it? I mean burning propane produces CO2, CO and uses up oxygen. It produces less CO than gasoline but more C02. Same as gasoline or anything else. If you want to avoid that particular issue you'd do better with electric, I think.

-Justin

Propane'll kill ya just as fast as anything else inside a trailer won't it?
With the trailer doors open (which they would be always in an loading/unloading situation) he'll be fine with propane. Plus you're in there for just a minute or two at a time typically before you back the truck back out into fresh air.

Still, if doing that day in and day out, electric would be safer long term, sure nuf.

Yeah Propane can kill you, but like D. Thomas said, its only for a minute to go in then out, so it would be fine there. But Diesel or Gas in that situation would be bad. Don't want to fill up the whole trailer with smoke.
CO2 is not a bad thing, its what you produce when you breathe out, cause thats what else makes up the air besides Oxygen and some others. But if you have CO2 only and all the oxygen is used up, then you are in trouble.
But I am starting to think electric is not a bad choice for this one. I just don't like the way they feel when you drive them, but then again its probably because I am not used to them. Plus the electric ones always seem to have very low ground clearance, making going over a dock plate a little tougher.
But electric ones seem cheap used, but the battery is probably shot too.
Really for the 3-4 hours a week I would use it, it probably would be fine to get an electric one.

I have a beautiful little 4K Baker electric that runs perfectly. Side shift, 2 stage mast, 42 inch forks (straight..no bends) ...plently low enough to go into a typcial enclosed trailer but not low enough to raise a load up 4 feet in the trailer. But most folks never need to do that anyway.

Clean and with original paint (highly unusual for over 10 year old forklift), excellent tires and brakes too. If you've ever seen that funny German forklift training video with Klauss, this is the same forklift he's driving

Fun to drive, good "feel" on accelerator and steering.

Price- a pidley 2,000 bucks !!

The catch ?...needs a new battery of course ! The one in it works but only runs maybe 15 minutes straight before it gets low. Brand new battery would be about $3K and will last 10 years with care. A "reconditioned" battery cost about $1,000 and will last 3 to 5 years typically.

Of course if you want the ultimate small electric...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7554751157&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1

baker4.jpg

baker1.jpg

"Hello, I'm Spunky the Baker forklift and I like long drives along the dock, going into trailers, and PA !"

See thats my worry about an electric lift, I don't know how to check the battery on them besides charging it, then running it till its dead. And at most places you can't do that when you go to look at it, that would be tough. But I know you are honest about your machines so you tell me its actual condition.

The more I have looked, the more I think i need one of those boxcar specials. With the "free lift" when the forks get to the top of the mast before the mast starts going up. I get in sea containers with many crates stacked to the top and will need to be able to get them down before moving them.
But Spunky actually is in pretty nice looking shape.
I don't understand, most every forklift that I have seen has Terrible paint, or was just re-painted. What do these people do to these things? They must constantly run into things.
Heck I have a 5 year old New Holland skid loader that still looks great, and I go through the woods, brush, digging, go through everything with it and its barely scratched!
Who knows :confused:
I Still like that CAT lift though. Just out of curiosity, can you haul that one yourself or is it too heavy?

thats my worry about an electric lift, I don't know how to check the battery on them besides charging it, then running it till its dead. And at most places you can't do that when you go to look at it, that would be tough.
You check the battery with a simple hydrometer inserted into each cell. Battery must be fully charged for accurate readings. But if the deal is good enough, who cares ? Just figure on buying a reconditioned battery for 1,000 bucks and you're set. As to keeping it charged and not overcharged...no biggie..just get a modern charger, hook it up and everything else is automatic except for keeping the water levels up. You can even get "desulfurnator" trickle chargers that keep the battery "topped off" all the time while you're not using the forklift.

I don't understand, most every forklift that I have seen has Terrible paint, or was just re-painted. What do these people do to these things? They must constantly run into things.
That has always mystified me too. I used to frequent a forklift wholesaler who has hundreds of late model "just off lease" forklifts in Charlotte, NC and it never ceased to amaze me how bad most of this trucks looked. Even two year old ones could look like they were twenty years old. Not just the paint, but in the engine compartment too..filthy dirty in there.

I recently saw some 2001 Toyota's that looked worse than the 1945 model in my Bibb Machinery post..and I'm not exaggerating....unbeliveablely filthy, dented, seats with duct tape holding remants of vinyl but mostly just the foam showing.

Re the CAT 12,500 lb I have...probably weighs about 18,000 lbs. I could haul it in theory on my gooseneck but I'd be reluctant to haul it very far...not so much from a trailer capacity standpoint, but mostly due to being way over weight from a legal standpoint.

Just wondering if you have checked with Bob Koester, he sells used forklifts in Turtle Creek Pa,,, (just east of Pittsburgh for you non W-Pa guys) He gets a lot of forklifts of all different sizes, most are propane. He usualy runs ads in the Pittsburgh papers and the Truck Trader. I don't know his phone number, but you could call his sometimes partner and owner of the building where he stores his equipment: John McGhee 412-823-8890, he can put you in touch with Bob and also may have something for sale. He's in the rigging business.

not so much from a trailer capacity standpoint, but mostly due to being way over weight from a legal standpoint.
Yeah didnt think about that, Damn right I would not let you haul it here. I didn't know if you had a larger truck too. These state boys have been pulling Everybody over recently for checks. I went to an auction the other day, and they had a little checkpoint set up where the police man would stand there on the side of the road and flag some trucks in for an inspection. And this was on Rt. 22, which is a small country 2 lane highway out there.
I know they are trying to be safe, but they are getting damn near annoying. I had a trucker tell me that he got stopped and checked at 3 places in PA on his way to my place, coming up from Morgantown, WV. And thats only about 70 miles! I was wondering why it took him 3 hours to get here after he called from Morgantown. Felt bad for the guy, he didnt get here till 7pm and was planning to be here at 5, and had to be in Philly the next morning. If I was not a nice guy, I would have left and made him wait till the morning to get unloaded. But I always unload them right away, I have even unloaded trucks at midnight. I know how hard it can be to drive and make schedules, things happen along the way.

Yeah, once ya get above what I call the "imaginary" Mason Dixon line (the imaginary one starting somewhere just north of Richmond, VA ;) ), you start getting into the stricter trucking zones where if you're not absolutely prim and proper things can get expensive in a hurry !

But neither one of us need to be trucking something as easy to load, easy to chain, easy to protect..as a forklift...that's what LTL is for ! Probably get that puppy backed up to your dock in PA for 650 bucks.

forklift

I am looking for a smaller forklift, for going in and out of trucks. 2000-4000 pound lift, anything EXCEPT electric. Hard tires or air tires are fine. Need it right away. The closer to Pittsburgh, the better to save on shipping costs. Anybody have anything?

I have a good one. J1Case allterrain diesel. In Pourtsmouth VA. 4000lbs capacity.

interested?

R+L trucking company in Ohio has a constant 'forklifts for sale' sign out on 71? between Columbus and Cincinnati. Don't know much about the company or the lifts, but you could probably beat them into a deal on shipping...

Chip

Back