What's new
What's new

Found rotting in ranch shop...need input

You need to be more descriptive in your post, and you should upload your photos here instead of Photobucket. It doesnt work for some people. Also be sure you are posting in the right subforum, does the equipment you are asking about meet the forum guidelines in the sticky at the top of the forum? I have to ask as your post doesnt give us any clue as to what you are asking about.

Charles

You need to be more descriptive in your post, and you should upload your photos here instead of Photobucket. It doesnt work for some people. Also be sure you are posting in the right subforum, does the equipment you are asking about meet the forum guidelines in the sticky at the top of the forum? I have to ask as your post doesnt give us any clue as to what you are asking about.

Charles

At least its closer to correct subforum here than same thing cross-posted to cnc section.
Need some serious TLC for those equipment(rust colored acra mill, rustbucket lathe..after that photobucket gave up, dunno if there was something else)
edit: + large-ish "Goodway" lathe, Gorton mill, stubby Le Blond

He stumbled upon old, rusty, likely non functional examples of an Acra turret mill, a Goodway lathe, a very old LeBlonde, and a Gorton mill. Crap stacked on two. None are exciting or particularly interesting. Worth scrap minus transport from where I stand. And I'm IN Wisconsin!

Yawn.

Are they selling just the machines or any and all extras also? Do you know what else comes with them? It looks like they are all powered up so you can run/test them. Without knowing any details maybe $1000-$2000 for the four of them, less if anything is broken or not working or badly rusted.

That stuff is worth $160 per ton delivered to the scrap yard here. The weather is going to leave a lot of the internals rusted and bearings frozen solid over and above what you can see in the pictures. You would spend way more in a time and money than they would be worth to bring them back to life.

If you have time and the interest it could be worth while to buy as a home shop endeavor. I suspect they are not plug and play and possibly/ probably not powered. It will take quite a bit of effort on your part just to move, cleanup, setup and put to working order. Provided you have a place to put everything and power up. What little bit of tooling i saw was slim and rather old school.

If the current owners think it's a gold pile don't waste much time. If they are reasonable and want it out of their way i would make an offer for everything. This would include any 3ph. Power converters, electrical boxes, wiring that is specific to the equipment.

Availability of equipment in your area can have an effect on value and price people are willing to pay. Without knowing anything else i would start at $800 to $1200 and not go much higher.
That's just my honest opinion, others may agree or offer differing advice. Good luck, Hodge

You're looking at this all wrong. I suggest you ask the guy how much he'll pay you to take them out of there for him. You'll be the one picking up trouble. He'll be getting rid of it, and gaining tons of room to boot.

The old LeBlond and maybe the Gorton may be of interest to someone looking for a project, but the newer machines don't typically get the same level of dedication in bringing them back. Guys buy old iron because wear and damages aside, you can end up with an accurate "classic" machine and the warm-fuzzies that you helped keep it going, but most people shopping for an import don't want that, they just want a tool to make parts.

If I was selling those, I'd list the LeBlond at $500 OBO (emphasis on OBO), but the others I'd leave be.

In that condition you're looking at a ton of sweat equity and some possible cost for parts if the rust crept inside.
They are worth on average $150-300 each.
Of course, the owner thinks they have appreciated all the time he's stored them, and now expects to make a profit on
the sale.......yea buddy. Merely offering him exactly what he paid for them years ago when they were rust free will find him insulted.
Happens all the time. Let the dreamers dream.........and the sellers live on in their fantasy world.
;)

I would recomment that you don't go look at the pictures. When I looked a few minutes ago, the Photobucket page popped up a whole bunch of fake "Microsoft" your computer is blocked, call right away crap after the fourth or fifth picture. I truly hate that organization.

In that condition you're looking at a ton of sweat equity and some possible cost for parts if the rust crept inside.
They are worth on average $150-300 each.
Of course, the owner thinks they have appreciated all the time he's stored them, and now expects to make a profit on
the sale.......yea buddy. Merely offering him exactly what he paid for them years ago when they were rust free will find him insulted.
Happens all the time. Let the dreamers dream.........and the sellers live on in their fantasy world.
;)

Oh man, you mirror my sentiments exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if the ad says "Ways look great!". Somehow, every machine for sale has great ways :rolleyes5:
I'm also pretty sure people go find the most expensive listing for the same or similar machine and automatically assume theirs is worth the same.

Everyone of those is a rebuild project, and not a trivial one.

The last lathe I sold, I literally called the bed "scrap iron" because it was so worn. Someone still bought it, and didn't even care. :scratchchin:

Now that I see the rust on the Goodway Lathe more clearly, it looks pretty bad. I'm dropping my appraisal of that machine to $100 and a guy would have to be willing to take on that major project out of spite. Like maybe his buddies all told him 'you can't fix that'! THAT kind of motivation is required here.
Been there......DONE THAT.

Here are most of his pics:
View attachment 247892View attachment 247893View attachment 247899View attachment 247900View attachment 247906
3 of them look like there are non rusty chips on or under them.

The Acramill is pretty cool. Looks like it was used to machine rubber tires using a wooden box for workholding.

The 1/2" green pipe for the quill lever is a nice touch. Adds color to an otherwise boring, brown machine. They could've just slapped on the pipe, but went the extra mile with the cap.

I wonder if the acra mill has the splined bushings for the variable speed head like my machine. I'd buy it for those if the price was right :D

So...first off, thank you all for your input. As my original post says I was tired of the losing battle I was having trying to post on here and apologize for there not being much info at all...so please see below.

These are in a concrete floored ranch shop down on the AZ/CA boarder. I stumbled upon the shop for an unrelated issue and asked about using the machines. The story I got was the father (who passed a couple years back) got these on trade or in lieu of monies owed to him. The son has no idea if they work and told me when they got offloaded, that's where they've sat since. I asked if he'd be interested in selling any and he jokingly said "bring a trailer and load one up". We talked a while and he asked me what they are worth. I told him I'd have to do some research. Looked on the web and found bumpkiss and thought of this forum.

I like the leblond, just because I learned on one. I like the size of the goodway, but think it's too big for my garage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Acra has always been an import brand correct? And the Gorton has the plate saying it was made in Racine, WI so there's no question there.

From what I'm seeing on here is offer to take the leblond and the gorton for scrap pricing and hope for the best...??

Again, thanks for all the input and willingness to put up with the noob guy.

I bet he would be happier if you took all of them. Probably buy the two you want get the others free, Then you can sell or part out the other two to pay for the keepers. If they move free and run someone will be able to use them.

Back