What's new
What's new

FS: 12” Pratt & Whitney Model C Lathe

adh2000

Titanium
Runs great, under power, everything works. Some wear but not worn out. No ridge on the ways, spindle bearings run smooth. Comes with Cushman 3 jaw chuck with reversible jaws, 4 jaw chuck, taper attachment, genuine Aloris toolpost, operation manual. Has new Baldor single phase 3HP motor perfect for home shop. Located in Waukesha WI, loading no problem. Email for more info or video. $2,400. [email protected]
1dfbf505729b6299cc7dbb6bcded3892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parts book scan can be emailed f the buyer likes - though this may be on VM

(and it might already be included as part of that manual):D

I'm interested in hearing more about your lathe. I've been interested in picking up a lathe for my garage shop and as my father spend 30 years working in the P&W engine plant, I have a soft spot in my heart this. Can you tell me a little about it's history?

Not a lot to tell. I bought it several years ago in the UP. Guy did some auto restoration and had one too many lathes. My current situation is about the same. No back story I’m afraid. Don’t know how it got there but there are a fair number of shops to support the mining and shipping operations so maybe one of them had it. Best if you buy it and drag it home then you’ll have your own story to tell.

Of course I know nothing about the history of this particular lathe... but if you're considering buying it, do yourself a favor and look into these Model C lathes a bit. They are very nice machines... you could do a lot worse than one of these for a home shop. I have a 16" Pratt Whitney Model C and it's my dream lathe.

Hey Salem. I'm looking hard at it. In it's day it was a Cadillac, and if OP's report about the health/smoothness of the spindle bearings is true, that's one of the biggest question marks about this unit checked off. I'm waiting to see the video of the lathe under power.

Had one for over 20 years (12 X 30) a tired little "school" lathe where the imbeciles ruined the front bearing by over tightening - and for ever after it howled above a certain RPM - so I stayed under that - all those years - and made everything imaginable ANYWAY

Like these - for my '30 Packard

01.jpg

Usually looked like so :D

DCP_0012.jpg

There’s a city street behind me you hear the traffic at the beginning of the video.

Perhaps John can help the lathe clutch wants to fall out sometimes. There must be some way to adjust the clutch or cam so that it stays in gear.

Perhaps John can help the lathe clutch wants to fall out sometimes. There must be some way to adjust the clutch or cam so that it stays in gear.

Manual says:

"The clutch is adjusted as indicated on the instruction plate located on the cover to the clutch A-22"

A 22 (an item on a photo in manual) is on rear of head stock near upper end of the linkage there

The other important thing back there is the sight glass for head stock oil near to lower end of the linkage. What is invisible until HS cover is removed is that you have no idea if pump is functioning in its job of pumping oil up to distribution plumbing in upper head stock. As near as I can recollect, there is no FLOW sight of any kind letting you know this is going on (at least on my beat up 12" which I sold in 2005).

Thanks John. I got the clutch adjusted, much better now. That was dead simple actually should have figured it on my own. As for the sight glass yes it’s there. I guess I’ll just maintain the level. I suppose I could pull the lid on the headstock and look for oil flowing.

Back