What's new
What's new

FS #3 Gisholt Turret lathe interest for guitar or banjo fans

vonblowseph

Cast Iron
Thanks for looking,
I have a #3 Gisholt turret lathe for sale.
It came out of the Stewart-MacDonald Banjo/Guitar factory when they moved off of Banjo Hill last year.
The serial number is 745-35
It weighs about 8K
I have tooling for it and can provide pictures upon request.
I would like to get $800 for it. The price is negotiable though.
They used this machine for years to make banjo rings.
The machine is located in Athens Ohio.
Please email me [email protected] for details.
I check my email every couple of days... so please be patient with my response.
This is my first attempt at selling this lathe and don't have it posted anywhere else.
I've always had great experiences dealing with Practical machinist members :)

Happy Friday,
I know that old turret lathes are basically worth their value in scrap.
Would anyone be interested in this machine if it were free to a good home?
Thanks

Happy Friday,
I know that old turret lathes are basically worth their value in scrap.
Would anyone be interested in this machine if it were free to a good home?
Thanks

You didn't post pix on here.

That's probably 80% of the problem.

Here are some photos...
First time I have peeled the tarp off in a year. A bit of surface rust has appeared. You can see though that there is fresh shiny steel on the ways.
The photo that shows those big tool blocks..next to the speed plate. I have 2 more of those tool blocks. They were buried behind something and not easy to get to.
There are some tools in the tool box photo and some aluminum soft jaws in the orange bucket.(okay sorry, those photos didn't make it on this post.. 5 pictures max :))
To be clear... I don't want to give this thing away. I just want to cover my rigging costs on this thing.
Thanks for looking.

IMG_20210122_123207166.jpgIMG_20210122_123144413.jpgIMG_20210122_123134983.jpgIMG_20210122_123113324.jpgIMG_20210122_130411094.jpg

Here are some photos...
First time I have peeled the tarp off in a year. A bit of surface rust has appeared. You can see though that there is fresh shiny steel on the ways.
The photo that shows those big tool blocks..next to the speed plate. I have 2 more of those tool blocks. They were buried behind something and not easy to get to.
There are some tools in the tool box photo and some aluminum soft jaws in the orange bucket.(okay sorry, those photos didn't make it on this post.. 5 pictures max :))
To be clear... I don't want to give this thing away. I just want to cover my rigging costs on this thing.
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 311345View attachment 311344View attachment 311343View attachment 311342View attachment 311346

calling doc's machine...stat!

Thanks for looking,
I have a #3 Gisholt turret lathe for sale.
It came out of the Stewart-MacDonald Banjo/Guitar factory when they moved off of Banjo Hill last year.
The serial number is 745-35
It weighs about 8K
I have tooling for it and can provide pictures upon request.
I would like to get $800 for it. The price is negotiable though.
They used this machine for years to make banjo rings.
The machine is located in Athens Ohio.
Please email me [email protected] for details.
I check my email every couple of days... so please be patient with my response.
This is my first attempt at selling this lathe and don't have it posted anywhere else.
I've always had great experiences dealing with Practical machinist members :)

Here are some photos...
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 311345View attachment 311344View attachment 311343View attachment 311342View attachment 311346

I'm not seeing the
"banjo making" tooling or workholding...
What I am seeing, is a turret lathe stripped of 99% of it's tooling.

I'm not seeing the
"banjo making" tooling or workholding...
What I am seeing, is a turret lathe stripped of 99% of it's tooling.

That and a high weight to value ratio is an issue. Worth $600 for scrap here, but they would knock off $200 to pick it up if it could easily be pulled up on a flat bed wrecker. If not you would have to deliver it to them.

This is good information.
thanks for the comments.
I'll keep an eye on scrap prices.
I'm not in a hurry to scrap it though.
Just in case the right person wanders past this ad.

This is good information.
thanks for the comments.
I'll keep an eye on scrap prices.
I'm not in a hurry to scrap it though.
Just in case the right person wanders past this ad.

Those type machines have just went the way of the dinosaur. 25 years ago when I bought my first lathe in the area I was at that machine would have fetched at least $1500 and would not have lasted long. The manual turret lathe I bought at the time cost me $3500, tooled up, in the same shape today it is worth $750, if that. Glad I am still using it. After dropping more than 50% a few years ago, scrap prices have came back up to the all time highs in the last few months.

Back