What's new
What's new

FS: Boyer & Schultz Surface Grinder 6X12 Naugatuck , Connecticut

ChrisNCT

Aluminum
FS: Boyer & Schultz Surface Grinder 6X12 $1200 Naugatuck , Connecticut

I have this really nice Boyer & Schultz 6X12 Surface Grinder that works perfectly. I have used it for small gunsmithing, sharpening and odd jobs. Hold tolerances in the tenths for good/accurate work. The table stop is missing and I never gotten a chance to machine a new one. Previous owner also broke the tiny pin on the underside of the table. Not important but I figured I would mention it. Get a make shift stop up and going and the pin on the underside doesn't matter.

It is currently under power and is wired 240-60-3 phase. The motor can be rewired for 480-60-3. The Boyer Schultz dust collector works perfectly. It has a clean out tray in the bottom that I cleaned out. I also installed a work light and switch to illuminate your work while you grind.

The Walker 6 X 12 Chuck is really nice. Strong magnet that holds down good! The grinder comes with 3 wheels, diamond dresser and wrench.

The grinder is about 500lbs so it is movable with 2 guys. I don't have any way lifting onto trailors or trucks though.

Price: $1200.00

Email me at [email protected]

Payments Accepted:Paypal, Postal Money Orders or Cash when picked up. I can't ship!

5Id5L15Ge3Mf3If3Ldc8qdb0e9bd3eff313b2.jpg

5Id5E35M83K83Jf3o9c8q8459305e46851acf.jpg

5K35H75M33E93Id3Nbc8qc7498cb2c5381a51.jpg

5Ed5K15F23G23I13m8c8q65fcf5feb78e17d7.jpg

Last edited:
When I got it. I cleaned it up a bit and lubed it up. I put some way oil in it and been using ever since for small projects. Haven't noticed the 1 spot issue that you are mentioning.

Trevor was referring to the single location of the oil cup, ie. "1 spot" = "1 location".

To answer the question, yes, there is a single cup for way oil. Bring the table to one extreme of travel, fill the cup, send it to the other extreme, fill the cup and you're good to go.

It's been a while since I've used this particular model, but I believe there is access to give the pinion a bit of oil as well (exposed teeth beneath).

Trevor was referring to the single location of the oil cup, ie. "1 spot" = "1 location".

To answer the question, yes, there is a single cup for way oil. Bring the table to one extreme of travel, fill the cup, send it to the other extreme, fill the cup and you're good to go.

It's been a while since I've used this particular model, but I believe there is access to give the pinion a bit of oil as well (exposed teeth beneath).

I have an old 6X12 with the same lubrication cup in the front. I am in the process of cleaning it up, and don't see how the way oil gets to the rear way (not sure that is what it is called). The V grooved one. Perhaps I over looked something. Thanks.

Hello Todd,

I don't have the machine in front of me, but I've made many sets of parallels on one, and I cannot remember ever oiling any cup other than the one that's front & centre on the table. The ways are ball-bearing, so I would imagine the method of lubricating is meant to be obvious.

You might try looking behind the rubber way-cover (not to insult your intelligence) on the back of the table, but I really doubt anything is there.

The cup in the front oils all the table ways.
Flat and Vee and the cross ways as well.
If you pull the top table, there are little wire mesh filters in the drain transfer holes.
They have a little copper washer of top, and they are not obvious to see.
Have to fish them out with a dental pick. They catch the sludge.

Don't forget the oil cup for the column. It is that plastic thing on top.
It lubricates the bevel crank gears and the vertical slide ways.
There are no gibs on the grinding head, just a tight scraped fit.
So make sure you oil them.

The motor has 2 oil caps. One in the front with an extension tube
and one in the rear. Be sure to oil the motor, as it has only
bronze bushings. It has lots of felt wicks in the motor to hold oil
be be sure and oil it anyways.

I use way oil (vactra #2 or vacuoline 1409) on the vertical column.
I use red ATF on the table oil port. Less stiction and easier to crank
with ATF instead of way oil. It was like a new machine when I switched.
No my left hand does not hurt so much.

Motor use non-detergent 20 wt. 30 wt makes the motor bushings run
a but too warm.

The spindle has to be taken out to grease the ball bearings.
It should be good for many years, but if it sat unused for a while,
best to take it apart and clean and re-grease.
Only fill the bearings HALF way with grease. Too much grease
makes them run hot. I use #1 grease if I have it. #2 seems
to not flow as well. Get Kluber grease if you can. Very pure.

--Doozer

Back