What's new
What's new

FS: Darex E-90 End Mill Sharpening Grinder

mTeryk

Hot Rolled
Includes a radius attachment for sharpening ball and bull endmills. Comes with factory stand if you want it. I took the stand apart and disassembled it to save space in my shop. I don't think it has had much use. I bought it from a guy who never used it and I have probably sharpened less than 100 end mills with it.

Only two things wrong with it. One is that the lampshade is broken and taped back together. The lamp droops a bit. It was like that when I bought it, kind of annoying but never to the point that I felt the need to fix it. The other is that the shaft for the longitudinal feed is bent a bit so the handle wobbles slightly when turned. Once again, it was like it when I bought it and I have neve been motivated enough to fix it as it works as is.

I bought this along with a mill figuring I would give it a try and never developed a real love for it. Easy enough to sharpen endmills over half an inch diameter but I don't wear out large endmills that often. I also don't feel that I get as nice of a surface finish from the face of resharpened endmills as a new endmill gives but maybe I just never got the hang of it.

I'm asking $500 if you pick it up at my place or I meet you a short distance away. $600 if I have to ship it because it is going to need to be attached to a plywood base and a very sturdy box constructed for it.

It's in Corvallis, OR

IMG_20191216_200114041-X2.jpg

IMG_20191216_200104090_BURST000_COVER_TOP-X2.jpg

Would you consider splitting off the radius apparatus? I just picked one of these up and it was not so equipped.

Would you consider splitting off the radius apparatus? I just picked one of these up and it was not so equipped.
I'm going to try and sell everything as a group first. If I have trouble selling it as a group, we can discuss the radius attachment separately.

Fair warning, I haven't used the radius attachment. There's a bit of corrosion as you can see in the picture. I cleaned it up and everything seems to move as it should. I believe all the parts are there minus maybe a bolt and t-nut to hold it to the table but not 100% on that.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I bought two or three of these grinders on eBay some years ago. Two of them arrived with the motor base casting broken. The motor is of normal, heavy steel construction. The tilting motor base is aluminum, 1/8" thick and totally incapable of withstanding the stress of a drop, a normal event in the hands of most shipping companies. One of them also had the main base casting broken. Bolting the grinder to plywood and enclosing it in a wood box will not protect the motor base.

I suppose Darex had some sort of shipping container that supported the motor and kept the load off the base. I decided the motor had to be removed for shipping in a normal box with foam or bubble wrap. The catch is that you have to cut some wires to remove the motor and lamp and then provide connectors for the cuts and a wiring diagram.

Bottom line is, hold out for pick up or hand delivery.

Larry

I bought two or three of these grinders on eBay some years ago. Two of them arrived with the motor base casting broken. The motor is of normal, heavy steel construction. The tilting motor base is aluminum, 1/8" thick and totally incapable of withstanding the stress of a drop, a normal event in the hands of most shipping companies. One of them also had the main base casting broken. Bolting the grinder to plywood and enclosing it in a wood box will not protect the motor base.

I suppose Darex had some sort of shipping container that supported the motor and kept the load off the base. I decided the motor had to be removed for shipping in a normal box with foam or bubble wrap. The catch is that you have to cut some wires to remove the motor and lamp and then provide connectors for the cuts and a wiring diagram.

Bottom line is, hold out for pick up or hand delivery.

Larry

Thanks for the advice Larry. Just took a look and the motor mount does look to be cast aluminum. My plan was to build a box around it and fill it with spray foam. You could be right, however, in that the best course of action might be to remove the motor for shipping. Luckily the wires for both the lamp and the motor feed into the base and plug into a distribution block with push-in connectors. All that would need to be done is clip a few zip-ties and unplug the connectors. If in fact I did have to cut a wire or two, it wouldn't be that hard to use a crimp connector to rejoin them upon re-assembly.

I would really rather sell this locally as I don't want to go to all the trouble of boxing it up. I'm about to post it on Craigslist as much as I hate dealing with that. Worst case scenario, I end up keeping it and start using larger roughing endmills so I have something to use it for.

Teryk

i-XXX4Rxf-X2.jpg

Back