What's new
What's new

FS: Graziano SAG 17 Lathe

ewlsey

Diamond
I have a Graziano SAG 17 lathe. I don't know a whole lot about it. It is running but has a few issues.

This is a long bed version, 60" between centers.
I believe it can swing 22" in the gap section and 17" beyond it.
1500 RPM spindle. 6 hp.
Inch/metric/whitworth threading.
3 jaw, 4 jaw, steady rest, tool post.
Coolant pump.
Chip tray.

The ways are in good condition.

Some of the handles and knobs are broken or missing. Steady rest has been adapted from another lathe (it works, but it's not original). Motor wiring needs to be cleaned up. Wiring to the coolant pump is missing, but starter is there.

Previous owner had some issue with with the finish and suspected the spindle bearings. I'm not sure that is the case, but I haven't investigated too closely. Spindle uses double tapered roller bearings and new bearings are available. Also, the head stock leaks some oil. I think it's just the input shaft seal. I will try to fix that before selling.

This is a sweet lathe. I really want to keep it, but I don't have time to fix it up.

Asking $2500 but I'm open to offers. I want to sell it before the end of June. I can load (about 3000 lbs). I can deliver within a reasonable distance of Peoria, IL. I prefer not to ship.

[email protected] if you prefer.

Sale 6-5-19 010.jpg Sale 6-5-19 011.jpg Sale 6-5-19 012.jpg Sale 6-5-19 013.jpg Sale 6-5-19 014.jpg

Oh man I don't know why but I really want this lathe... how long is the total gap section? From the headstock to the end of the gap. This would be perfect for wheels.

Update:

I have replaced the wiring to the motor and converted the machine to 240 volts. The heaters are correctly sized for 240V, so no changes are needed there.

I ran the machine and everything seems to function. The clutches work, the power feed works, the spindle sounds fine.

I took some test cuts in mild steel with a cermet insert. The surface finish looks pretty good considering the machine is just sitting loose on my floor.

You can inspect under power.

015.jpg

I have a Sag14, when you connect the power to the machine, you have to make sure you can feel pulsations in the clear window of the lube indicator (top right hand side of headstock). That means the lube pump is turning in the correct direction. If it isn't pulsating you have to swap 2 incoming leads.

Outstanding lathes, not going to hog like an L&S but capable of great finishes, with a good selection of speeds and feeds.

Plus their light enough you can get them into/out of a hydraulic trailer without a forklift.

Picked up the lathe yesterday and got home more or less problem free other than a tiny spot of rain. Was nice to meet Wes, very envious of his new shop... can't wait to get this thing installed and rocking.

Gotta ask, never seen ways designed like that.
Saddle rides on the "lower" ways, and tailstock on the raised section?

What is the advantage to this type of design?

Gotta ask, never seen ways designed like that.
Saddle rides on the "lower" ways, and tailstock on the raised section?

What is the advantage to this type of design?

The ways for the carriage are protected by covers, that's why the tailstock ways are raised above the carriage ways, in the 3rd picture on the first post you can see the way covers. Very clever design.

Picked up the lathe yesterday and got home more or less problem free other than a tiny spot of rain. Was nice to meet Wes, very envious of his new shop... can't wait to get this thing installed and rocking.

The resevoir for the carriage waylube is under the carriage between the ways. If you pump way lube and it comes out anything other than clean then drop the resevoir and clean it out. It seems that soluble cutting fluid gets in there easily and mixes with the way lube.

The resevoir for the carriage waylube is under the carriage between the ways. If you pump way lube and it comes out anything other than clean then drop the resevoir and clean it out. It seems that soluble cutting fluid gets in there easily and mixes with the way lube.

This thing needs a top to bottom cleaning and going through. It seems to be solid iron but neglected. There isn't a control on the thing that isn't damaged in some way. But thats trivial compared to bed wear.

Back