What's new
What's new

FS Hammond Trim-O-Saw

adh2000

Titanium
These were designed and built for trimming lead type in the printing industry. Very well made heavy duty but small. This one works great, table glides super smooth. Everything works. Original 110v motor plugs in to standard outlet. $400. Located in Waukesha Wisconsin.
37695e12bdd5c365a908e9de358268b9.jpg

275c8572f139598fa6f4ea0a6a748fa4.jpg

6cbebb3f0c9eb7d0a25fdb24381766d9.jpg

3203074795f155b0bb04ffad9d4c3795.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a table saw to me. If I didn't have data capped internet I would be curious enough to try to find video of it used for it's intended purpose.

They are a small sliding table saw like some Euro wood saws for fixed 90deg cuts. If standard pullies, they are slow sfm for wood but easily modified. From memory, 7" diameter blade? Don't recall the arbor tilting but did have adjustable depth of cut. Nice machine, been years since I've seen one.

L7

I have one of these and love it, they are great little saws, and thats a very good price. Very smooth and accurate, great for cutting tiny stuff.

They use a strange system to secure the blade to the arbor, I remachined the spindle and shrank on a 5/8" arbor so I could use stock 8" Forrest blades. Also upped the speed and cut some metal away to clear the blades, originals were something like 7-1/4".

The fine adjustment on the x-cut fence is in picas, a real brain twister. Crazypete has info on replacing the acme leadscrew with a 10 tpi to make life easier, plus lots of other stuff:
MachineJunkie :: View topic - Hammond Glider Saws- My Incomplete Guide.

They are super nice. As far as I know none of them had a tilting arbor, this one does not. That is a limitation. I forgot to mention as an added bonus this machine comes with original TrimOSaw tool board:
8cca97cc9bd1c7ca613d27684916dd01.jpg

Ferrous Antiquos had one of these for sale when I had the good fortune to buy a South Bend Heavy 10 from him in about 2006. I paid him $750 for the lathe, which needed some tender love and care. I traveled from Western Wisconsin to his place in Long Island, NY, pulling a 2-wheel trailer. Sorry if I hijacked your post. I don't remember what he was asking for the Trim-o-saw.

I also have one of these with the original 3 phase motor and pulleys. I use it for a repeat job cutting some delrin and the rpm has been fine for that job. Every time I use it I am tickled with how nice and how well built it is. I have made some semi permanent clamping fixtures to go on mine, but I know a lot of people use them as Richard said to cut small wood parts. I think a person that did alot of segmented glue ups like turning work would want one.

As for the original use, they do have a weird blade mount with a 3 hole pattern in them to mount with and also another 3 holes in the body of the blade for cutters to protrude from for trimming lead. To use the trimming cutters you have to raise the blade so the arbor is higher than the table, but they are made to do that. They also came with a grinding stone on the outside end of the blade arbor. The rolling box in the base was to catch the lead. That's why it has wheels and a longer handle, if you let it get too full you weren't picking it up.

We also have one of these saws. They're limited on how big a piece they can cut, but are excellent for small precision work. Ours gets used for making small cutting pads for die machines, and for blanking out plexi-shield pieces.

As stated above, the blades are proprietary, but you can modify other off-the-shelf blades to work with them.

These were originally developed for cutting lead linotype to width. There were several models. See:

Hammond Machine Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

for several PDFs of dirty paper on these beasts. I have one and for precise, 90 degree cutting of small pieces it is suburb.

The blades indeed are 7" and they have an arbor mount that requires three flat head screws to hold it in place. Forrest can supply them for woodworking purposes. I suppose you could have steel muncher blades modified by a sharpening shop without too much trouble or cost if you don't want to do it yourself.

Would like to know, if this saw is still for sale.
I just joined this forum and it is the exact saw I am in the market for...
Please get up with me if it is still on the market !

Thanks

It sold about a year ago. New owner is happily sawing I hope. You’ll find one, they’re out there.

Back