What's new
What's new

FS: Hardinge HSL with Tailstock Project

adh2000

Titanium
f849e36cc4446e128c9cba8f19a0cd8f.jpg

6a662e7538d1263eea21fb637c591669.jpg

If you've ever wanted an HSL with a tailstock this is your chance. A machinist friend of mine had a partner who was putting this together when he passed away unexpectedly. He extended the base with ground plate, very nicely fitted up. I think the bed must be from a DV59 or equivalent. Spindle bearings are new. Before installing the spindle he installed the test bar, shown laying in the chip pan, and had the bed ground parallel to the test bar. LA Grinding did the work. The headstock and draw bar and motor were restored and professionally repainted with data plates from Hardinge. Not sure where the cabinet came from. The machine runs great, smooth and quiet. I'll try to post a video later. Tailstock needs restoration and paint although works fine as is. Has been sitting in this unfinished state for years. Price is $1,400. I'm sure he had much more into it. Actually this could be turned back into an HSL easily and might make it more desirable. Machine is located in Woodland Hills, CA (Los Angeles area).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not one iota of interest in this cool project with lots of new components? What am I supposed to do scrap the thing?

If it had the 4 degree taper nose (so I could use my existing Hardinge spindle tooling) and if it wouldn't double the cost to have it shipped out to Oregon, I'd be on it. But not, and not, so not.

Well that' a unique piece for sure.
Seems like a hellava lot of work to get a "Franken'59" given the real ones are available out there, sometimes
for a lot less than $1400. And are complete and working units not a "major" project.
Be kinda a shame to scrap it.........why not just try lowering the price incrementally first?

I know, it would suck to scrap it. I’m not sure when this was done, it’s been sitting around at least since the 90s so maybe 80s. How about $1,200?

Back