What's new
What's new

FS: Hardinge Toolroom Mill with Bridgeport Head

J-Head

Hot Rolled
I have a Hardinge TM horizontal mill equipped with a Bridgeport head for sale. The machine came out of an laboratory that made special photography equipment and it has had little use. The spindle tapers are mint (like they never held anything).
Unfortunately, when things were slow they went and slathered paint on machines that did not need painting. The original Hardinge paint (lighter gray) is in good condition and I think the dark gray can be removed with a little plastic scraper as the paint did not stick well and it is chipping off.

$2600 loaded on your vehicle

Will consider shipping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 921
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,073
I forgot to mention that I have collets, ball bearing drill chuck, horizontal milling arbor, and vise which are included with this machine.

Just a shot in the dark here, would you sell the J head with collets but without motor? Thanks for your time, Ed J. in KS

I think I found the motor - big thing hanging UNDER the belt housing on the left in the picture.:D:D
Also I think it is an M head not a J

Looks in decent condition - good luck on the sale.
Paul

I don't think it's an M head. They have the motor on top,as far as I've ever seen. And,I have one. It has a handle for slowly lowering the spindle.

I don't think it's an M head. They have the motor on top,as far as I've ever seen. And,I have one. It has a handle for slowly lowering the spindle.

"H" head maybe? IIRC Bridgeport supplied heads for retrofit on other machines so I imagine there were some variations provided. And I see a quill handle on this one too FWIW.

Thats what I saw to - M in front of serial number when you zoom in.
In any case it is obviously equipped with a motor.

Checking the UK lates site - fairly certan it is an M head - speed plate matches the speeds listed for a M head equipped with a 1200rpm motor (interesting it could also be fitted for a 3600 rpm which lists a max speed of 12k rpm).

So M head with weird upside down motor pulley housing - obviously uber rare and worth thousands (call Christy's auction house). More seriously, the head would probably be valuable to a hobbyist with low celiing height (basement) installation.
Paul

Dont have an M head so I go by the pictures that are out there. Search the web and it looks like it should have a lever on the right side, and a round handle in front (to right of spindle center - J head is on left of spindle center).
Lever is there and round handle is missing but looking at the pictures it appears the fitting is there. 4 studs sticking out the front with nuts on them to hold the head in place - one fitting on the right between two of the studs would be where the round handle should reside.

So still looks like an M head with mystery upside down drive.

Paul

The shaft for the front pulley is right there, between the two right-side mounting bolts.

The head is definitely an M, but the motor mount / pulley housing mounts the motor upside down from the usual configuration.

Steve

The motor is inverted, so it's a W head.

That's a joke, in case someone was about to take me seriously.

This is clearly a special head designed to mill *up* rather than down. The photo
shows it mounted wrong - the motor is supposed to point up as usual.

Run in reverse it's a primitive rapid prototyping machine. Adds stock back onto the
part instead of removing it.

And, yes, the fine feed handwheel for the quill is not in place on the shaft on the
front of the head. But it could be put on in an instant!

a friend of mine has one of these hardinge mills, i think he paid 1,000 for it without the bridgeport head. nice little mill, not much distance from table to spindle.

Back