What's new
What's new

FS K & T 4K universal horizontal mill

gbent

Diamond
This big mill is now surplus to me. I've used it for roughing stock to near size. Works good, worst feature is every fourth gear is missing on the feeds. The front of the table has a few apprentice marks. The fixture plate on the table also has a squaring rail for working the ends of stock. There are two arbor supports and a couple of arbors I have never used. The overarms are free. It can be seen under power as long as you want to pick it up at a later date.

I would like $2,000, and that includes the 8" Kurt II, the tee nuts, face mill, and the step blocks shown. I can load a suitable trailer. She is a heavy girl, about 13,000#.

K&T mill 1.jpgK&T mill2.jpgK&T mill3.jpgK&T mill4.jpg

TTT There are also a number of end mill holders and some other 50 taper tooling. $1500 without the vise. Its a model K, so it has rear controls. You can drive it like a boring mill.

These are outstanding machines. Last shop I worked at had a beautiful looking example but it was all worn out. We tore it apart and had the ways ground then fitted Turcite. Nice and tight after that, a pleasure to run. Some of the quietest machines I've used at top speed too, very smooth running.

I think the every 4th feed not working sounds familiar too. If I recall correctly the feed gears need to be "timed" correctly or this happens. I think it may have happened to me when I reassembled the rebuilt machine and re-timing fixed it.

Does anyone have any interest in this machine, or need any parts? The high price of scrap and the high value of the square footage it requires is going to send it to the scrap yard otherwise.

We all turn to rust/dust eventually. Or ash if your a corvette in a Museum.

She’s had a hell of a run, hope someone can get use from it but alas of not she might live on as a new set of axles in a Toyota probably.

Maybe one day you’ll be riding in said car thinking about that mill that you couldn’t save, not realizing part of it is just under your feet with a new life

You might not be that far away. I maybe could deliver if you could unload it from a dock high truck.

Currently my shop is in a 20'x20' space and I have barely enough room to squeeze between the machines I already have (no dock either). If I could figure a way to pull if off I'd take it in a hot minute but unfortunately the timing is awful. If by some miracle I come up with some way to do it in the next few days, I'll let you know but it doesn't seem likely.

Thanks much for the offer, best of luck,

-Ron

Still available? As eKreutz says the feed box needs to be “timed” 4 stack cone gear is missing mesh on the spin around. Feed wheel needs pulled and countershaft off of feed input need to to be timed. Rotated to timing marks on idler. Relatively easy job 1-1.5 hr front cover needs to be pulled but can be done with cover stood off about 3” knee casting riding on dowels. Assuming the timing marks are factory 3of3 of my 3Ks have them in largest stack gear. Basically timed for topend feed backwards. Find the high side and the low side transition and stab her back together. Sounds like someone was in The knee and found a mesh and just buttoned her up. Screwed up on time putting knee front cover back on ‘44 3K and stabbed it. .25 ipm was running about 15-17 ipm. Pulled front cover and went around some got it lined up. Only after saw timing marks as snugging cover. The order of assembly is obvious deductive reasoning once peering at the gear train. Those little feed gears are harder than a coffin nail. Really a beautiful machine. Seen if you pull up knee cover. Brought it out to front. Good engineerin

Yes, its still available. Been to busy to move all the machines in front of it out of the way.

Back