What's new
What's new

FS Large power / forging hammer Lobdel / Nazel #5

The Extractor

Cast Iron
Hi all, My employer is selling our large forging / power hammer. It is a Lobdell / Nazel #5.

Located in Basalt Colorado. Price is $60,000 OBO

It was in service until somewhat recently.

It is partially disassembled in the photos to remove it from our building.

It was re sealed in the last 15 years I am told.

I believe it uses 480 volts.

Here is a link with some specs for it.

Nazel - United - New England Blacksmiths

We have cranes to load onto a truck.

Please PM with any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_8752.jpg
    IMG_8752.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • IMG_8750.jpg
    IMG_8750.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_8749.jpg
    IMG_8749.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_8751.jpg
    IMG_8751.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 957
Last edited:
May I ask what you made/reworked that required such a large hammer? To bad its currently decomissioned, it would be fun to take for a test drive.

I think that price is much closer to practical. It's still not a sell-it-right-now price, I'd bet... and it's not going to help that it's not under power and is partly disassembled. For $25K a hammer is a risky bet if unproven to run...
But that's a beautiful beast, I hope it finds a quality home hitting steel for someone.

I don't know the power hammer marker at all...............or much about them either............but what makes this thing worth that kinda coin? They hard to come by?

Yes they are hard to come by... and pretty sought after by smiths right now. This is quite an enormous hammer for any small operation to own and operate... just the rigging and installation costs with power and suitable foundation could run $10K or more. And that's if the hammer runs fine right away. Machining costs can be daunting if parts need reworked. Typically the smaller (still big) hammers such as Nazel 2B and 3B command the higher prices in the market, as they are easier and less expensive to deal with logistically.

Reviving this thread and adding another smaller power hammer and videos of both hammers operating.

New asking price for the Nazel is $15k OBO

The Reiter KB1 75lb Asking price is $5500
Includes large lot of dies.

I have video of both hammers that will be uploaded soon.

Please PM with any questions!

One more hammer to add.

Beche & Grohs 50kg

We are asking $5500 OBO

All the dies shown on the shelf in the photo are included.

We have machinery to load.

Please PM me with any Questions!

IMG_9807.jpg

Yeah...not an expert by any means but when I would regularly visit the blacksmith websites....any power hammer is hard to find. They do show up occasionally....but not that often. And trying to do smith work without a power hammer is real work. Blacksmithing is hard work. Doing it for making a living is damned near impossible without a power hammer. Kind of like trying to be a machinist for hire without a lathe.

Back