FS: Lincold SA-800 submerged arc welder
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MI USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default FS: Lincoln SA-800 submerged arc welder

    I picked up this thing at an auction, never used it and it's getting in the way.

    Good condition

    Input: 220/440V 160/80A
    Output: 40V 700A 100% duty cycle

    $250

    Located in Manchester MI

    You can PM me or, if not a member, use the craigslist email from this ad:
    Lincoln SA-800 welder - tools - by owner - sale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sa-800.jpg  
    Last edited by amaranth; 07-23-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: fixed typo in subject

  2. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    566
    Likes (Received)
    4178

    Default

    Thats about a 75 horse electric motor. I have a couple SA 400 welders and they will strike an arc and make a bead with 1/2 bare steel electrode. I wonder what size that 800 would handle? Its quite the welder if someone has the power to feed it.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    20,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Thats about a 75 horse electric motor. I have a couple SA 400 welders and they will strike an arc and make a bead with 1/2 bare steel electrode. I wonder what size that 800 would handle? Its quite the welder if someone has the power to feed it.
    "Sub-arc"...I was in a shop using 3/8" solid wire and 1500 amps....makes the nicest 2 1/2" wide weld you've ever seen, along with a 5" long puddle.

    Pretty much every one I know that does sub arc runs transformer types, ESAB makes (maybe the rest doo as well by now) an A.C. output model that runs on 3-phase.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    255
    Likes (Received)
    76

    Default

    I had one of SA600 that used for carbon arc gouging
    it would light up a 1/2 carbon like a match stick
    I used a track burner with the gouging rig I would have to run it at max.
    machine would never even slow down
    Great piece for HEAVY work

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MI USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    I did a little research on this thing and, since it's pretty much an antique, I am adjusting the price to $0. Yes! FREE!

    Looks like I would barely cover the diesel hauling it to the scrap yard and it would be nice if someone could use it.

    Paul

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6188
    Likes (Received)
    3062

    Default

    If nothing else, that would make a fantastic phase converter. Pull the brushes and whatever else out of the DC side and use the cabinet for the start and balancing components.

    I wonder if you could use the DC side as a motor to spin it up? That would be pretty cool.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    1,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    514

    Default

    Strip out the copper and forget it, the cost of electricity to run it with demand would make the nat. dept look good,and the noise, ugly.There 250.00 in copper hiding in there...Phil

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6188
    Likes (Received)
    3062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    Strip out the copper and forget it, the cost of electricity to run it with demand would make the nat. dept look good,and the noise, ugly.There 250.00 in copper hiding in there...Phil
    If that's all you got going go for it, but man that is a shitload of work for a little pile of copper. Last I checked clean copper price sucked too.


    A good condition heavily built 75HP 3 phase idler motor is exactly what you want for a nice RPC to run a 3 phase shop from a 400 amp single phase service. I can't imagine it's all that loud with the brushes taken out.

    That thing would run 100 amps @ 240 without breaking a sweat.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    20,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    If that's all you got going go for it, but man that is a shitload of work for a little pile of copper. Last I checked clean copper price sucked too.


    A good condition heavily built 75HP 3 phase idler motor is exactly what you want for a nice RPC to run a 3 phase shop from a 400 amp single phase service. I can't imagine it's all that loud with the brushes taken out.

    That thing would run 100 amps @ 240 without breaking a sweat.
    Or…..cut off the a.c. motor side, make a flat plate with a 4 bolt flange bearing, and attach a tractor PTO....seen the amish doo it a few times.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    1,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    514

    Default

    A little pile of copper it is not, and for 2 hrs work at would come in at 125.00/hr at crap prices, hold on to it and you might get 500-750 for the copper and then there is the steel . You would not get rich stepping or dollars to pick up dimes... If it was in Montana I would be there...Phil

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6188
    Likes (Received)
    3062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    A little pile of copper it is not, and for 2 hrs work at would come in at 125.00/hr at crap prices, hold on to it and you might get 500-750 for the copper and then there is the steel . You would not get rich stepping or dollars to pick up dimes... If it was in Montana I would be there...Phil
    I HAVE cut one of these up for the copper. I got like 60 pounds of copper out of the entire thing. Even at $3 a pound that isn't shit for the time and bloody knuckles. Two hours my ass.

    I have dealt with 240,000 pounds of DC motor scrap at one time. Loaded into gaylords packed into 20' sea cans 40K per can and off to crushscrapistan in some Eastern Eurpoean shithole. But they paid 27 cents a pound.

    The big trick my friends is not to spend your precious time doing the scrap processors job. The trick is to get the buyer's cell numbers at your local yards and text him pictures of the copper bars inside the DC end of that thing. He'll be all giddy and offer you 20 cents a pound or so for the whole thing after some back and forth.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    20,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I HAVE cut one of these up for the copper. I got like 60 pounds of copper out of the entire thing. Even at $3 a pound that isn't shit for the time and bloody knuckles. Two hours my ass.

    I have dealt with 240,000 pounds of DC motor scrap at one time. Loaded into gaylords packed into 20' sea cans 40K per can and off to crushscrapistan in some Eastern Eurpoean shithole. But they paid 27 cents a pound.

    The big trick my friends is not to spend your precious time doing the scrap processors job. The trick is to get the buyer's cell numbers at your local yards and text him pictures of the copper bars inside the DC end of that thing. He'll be all giddy and offer you 20 cents a pound or so for the whole thing after some back and forth.
    Eggzachary !

    Was in a local scrapyard, used to have guys with a burn out oven, and pulling coils from motors and transformers.

    Chinese buyer shows up, looks over motors & stuff, gives price.

    In they go to 40' conex boxes complete.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    1,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    514

    Default

    Only 60 lbs?? 75 hp motor plus motor leads 1 lbs / hp= 75 lbs probly light but ok, dc field poles, inter poles, sires fieds maybe 70/80 lbs, comm and arm windinds 60/80 lbs, brass brush holder 10/15 lbs, dc leads 25 lbs ( have to be good for 900 amps... 185 lbs or better, spot copper price today 2.85 X 75%= 2.13lb scrap if next to a big city, less if in northwest so call it 2.00/lbs x 185= 370.00....Phil

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    3,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    1426

    Default

    Gotta be careful with Lincolns....surprising amount of aluminum windings in them.....best to let the scrappies find out when the attack it with the shear....Last SA 800 I sold ,think I got $800 even for it ,with just the tin covers removed.....But scraps been up and down since then.......Scrappin Lincolns is a nightmare,epoxy everywhere ,ally windings,coil yokes pressed into the casing ,did I mention epoxy everywhere.?......Far as I know the SA800 is 100hp DOL start............pretty sure weight was 3/4 ton....Didnt half bend the tray of my pickup down.

  16. Likes Garwood liked this post
  17. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    566
    Likes (Received)
    4178

    Default

    I was guessing 75hp based on 80 fla on 440V. Your weight is probably pretty close, or even light. I had a SAE400 motor drive that, IIRC, weighed 1200#.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MI USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I HAVE cut one of these up for the copper. I got like 60 pounds of copper out of the entire thing. Even at $3 a pound that isn't shit for the time and bloody knuckles. Two hours my ass.

    I have dealt with 240,000 pounds of DC motor scrap at one time. Loaded into gaylords packed into 20' sea cans 40K per can and off to crushscrapistan in some Eastern Eurpoean shithole. But they paid 27 cents a pound.

    The big trick my friends is not to spend your precious time doing the scrap processors job. The trick is to get the buyer's cell numbers at your local yards and text him pictures of the copper bars inside the DC end of that thing. He'll be all giddy and offer you 20 cents a pound or so for the whole thing after some back and forth.
    That sounds like a plan to me. I'll give that a shot in a week or so after I get some truck repairs done.

    The RPC idea was nice but I only have 200A service to the shop and I do have a 25HP motor for that. Everything except the Wasino will run off of a couple of 7-10 HP RPCs I have.


    Paul

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    566
    Likes (Received)
    4178

    Default

    The last I heard China wasn't buying much scrap. Don't get your hopes very high.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MI USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    The last I heard China wasn't buying much scrap. Don't get your hopes very high.
    Since I was offering it free here, it doesn't have far to go to exceed expectations. I need that space to move in some machinery anyway. The important thing is to get it out of the way.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    ny usa
    Posts
    728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    327

    Default

    No idea why someone has not rolled up with a bottle of jack for you, and a drop deck trailer for the machine. I'd take it and fire it up, just because.

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MI USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Well, it found a new home. I had a local guy who collects M/G welders come and get it. I got at least scrap value, it found a new home (#31 in his collection) and it didn't get to the scappers.

    Put it in the bed of his S10 pickup. Sure made it easier to close the tailgate. I'm going to have to go over and see his collection one of these days.

    A win all around. Thanks for the comments.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •