What's new
What's new

FS: Lincold SA-800 submerged arc welder

amaranth

Aluminum
FS: Lincoln SA-800 submerged arc welder

I picked up this thing at an auction, never used it and it's getting in the way.

Good condition

Input: 220/440V 160/80A
Output: 40V 700A 100% duty cycle

$250

Located in Manchester MI

You can PM me or, if not a member, use the craigslist email from this ad:
Lincoln SA-800 welder - tools - by owner - sale

Attachments

• sa-800.jpg
    sa-800.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Thats about a 75 horse electric motor. I have a couple SA 400 welders and they will strike an arc and make a bead with 1/2 bare steel electrode. I wonder what size that 800 would handle? Its quite the welder if someone has the power to feed it.

Thats about a 75 horse electric motor. I have a couple SA 400 welders and they will strike an arc and make a bead with 1/2 bare steel electrode. I wonder what size that 800 would handle? Its quite the welder if someone has the power to feed it.

"Sub-arc"...I was in a shop using 3/8" solid wire and 1500 amps....makes the nicest 2 1/2" wide weld you've ever seen, along with a 5" long puddle.

Pretty much every one I know that does sub arc runs transformer types, ESAB makes (maybe the rest doo as well by now) an A.C. output model that runs on 3-phase.

I had one of SA600 that used for carbon arc gouging
it would light up a 1/2 carbon like a match stick
I used a track burner with the gouging rig I would have to run it at max.
machine would never even slow down
Great piece for HEAVY work

I did a little research on this thing and, since it's pretty much an antique, I am adjusting the price to $0. Yes! FREE!

Looks like I would barely cover the diesel hauling it to the scrap yard and it would be nice if someone could use it.

Paul

If nothing else, that would make a fantastic phase converter. Pull the brushes and whatever else out of the DC side and use the cabinet for the start and balancing components.

I wonder if you could use the DC side as a motor to spin it up? That would be pretty cool.

Strip out the copper and forget it, the cost of electricity to run it with demand would make the nat. dept look good,and the noise, ugly.There 250.00 in copper hiding in there...Phil

Strip out the copper and forget it, the cost of electricity to run it with demand would make the nat. dept look good,and the noise, ugly.There 250.00 in copper hiding in there...Phil

If that's all you got going go for it, but man that is a shitload of work for a little pile of copper. Last I checked clean copper price sucked too.

A good condition heavily built 75HP 3 phase idler motor is exactly what you want for a nice RPC to run a 3 phase shop from a 400 amp single phase service. I can't imagine it's all that loud with the brushes taken out.

That thing would run 100 amps @ 240 without breaking a sweat.

If that's all you got going go for it, but man that is a shitload of work for a little pile of copper. Last I checked clean copper price sucked too.

A good condition heavily built 75HP 3 phase idler motor is exactly what you want for a nice RPC to run a 3 phase shop from a 400 amp single phase service. I can't imagine it's all that loud with the brushes taken out.

That thing would run 100 amps @ 240 without breaking a sweat.

Or…..cut off the a.c. motor side, make a flat plate with a 4 bolt flange bearing, and attach a tractor PTO....seen the amish doo it a few times.

A little pile of copper it is not, and for 2 hrs work at would come in at 125.00/hr at crap prices, hold on to it and you might get 500-750 for the copper and then there is the steel . You would not get rich stepping or dollars to pick up dimes... If it was in Montana I would be there...Phil

A little pile of copper it is not, and for 2 hrs work at would come in at 125.00/hr at crap prices, hold on to it and you might get 500-750 for the copper and then there is the steel . You would not get rich stepping or dollars to pick up dimes... If it was in Montana I would be there...Phil

I HAVE cut one of these up for the copper. I got like 60 pounds of copper out of the entire thing. Even at $3 a pound that isn't shit for the time and bloody knuckles. Two hours my ass.

I have dealt with 240,000 pounds of DC motor scrap at one time. Loaded into gaylords packed into 20' sea cans 40K per can and off to crushscrapistan in some Eastern Eurpoean shithole. But they paid 27 cents a pound.

The big trick my friends is not to spend your precious time doing the scrap processors job. The trick is to get the buyer's cell numbers at your local yards and text him pictures of the copper bars inside the DC end of that thing. He'll be all giddy and offer you 20 cents a pound or so for the whole thing after some back and forth.

I HAVE cut one of these up for the copper. I got like 60 pounds of copper out of the entire thing. Even at $3 a pound that isn't shit for the time and bloody knuckles. Two hours my ass.

I have dealt with 240,000 pounds of DC motor scrap at one time. Loaded into gaylords packed into 20' sea cans 40K per can and off to crushscrapistan in some Eastern Eurpoean shithole. But they paid 27 cents a pound.

The big trick my friends is not to spend your precious time doing the scrap processors job. The trick is to get the buyer's cell numbers at your local yards and text him pictures of the copper bars inside the DC end of that thing. He'll be all giddy and offer you 20 cents a pound or so for the whole thing after some back and forth.

Eggzachary !

Was in a local scrapyard, used to have guys with a burn out oven, and pulling coils from motors and transformers.

Chinese buyer shows up, looks over motors & stuff, gives price.

In they go to 40' conex boxes complete.

Only 60 lbs?? 75 hp motor plus motor leads 1 lbs / hp= 75 lbs probly light but ok, dc field poles, inter poles, sires fieds maybe 70/80 lbs, comm and arm windinds 60/80 lbs, brass brush holder 10/15 lbs, dc leads 25 lbs ( have to be good for 900 amps... 185 lbs or better, spot copper price today 2.85 X 75%= 2.13lb scrap if next to a big city, less if in northwest so call it 2.00/lbs x 185= 370.00....Phil

Gotta be careful with Lincolns....surprising amount of aluminum windings in them.....best to let the scrappies find out when the attack it with the shear....Last SA 800 I sold ,think I got $800 even for it ,with just the tin covers removed.....But scraps been up and down since then.......Scrappin Lincolns is a nightmare,epoxy everywhere ,ally windings,coil yokes pressed into the casing ,did I mention epoxy everywhere.?......Far as I know the SA800 is 100hp DOL start............pretty sure weight was 3/4 ton....Didnt half bend the tray of my pickup down.

I was guessing 75hp based on 80 fla on 440V. Your weight is probably pretty close, or even light. I had a SAE400 motor drive that, IIRC, weighed 1200#.

That sounds like a plan to me. I'll give that a shot in a week or so after I get some truck repairs done.

The RPC idea was nice but I only have 200A service to the shop and I do have a 25HP motor for that. Everything except the Wasino will run off of a couple of 7-10 HP RPCs I have.

Paul

No idea why someone has not rolled up with a bottle of jack for you, and a drop deck trailer for the machine. I'd take it and fire it up, just because.

Well, it found a new home. I had a local guy who collects M/G welders come and get it. I got at least scrap value, it found a new home (#31 in his collection) and it didn't get to the scappers.

Put it in the bed of his S10 pickup. Sure made it easier to close the tailgate. I'm going to have to go over and see his collection one of these days.

A win all around. Thanks for the comments.

Back