What's new
What's new

FS: Monarch Series 60 16x54 Lathe (and additional machinery)

Halcohead

Stainless
The time has come to sell off some of the less-used machinery in the shop. Things are too crowded.

For sale Monarch Series 60 16x54 lathe, made January 1949, serial # 32039.

The machine is running and can be inspected under power. 3-phase of course. I believe it's 220, but may be 440 (it's labelled, but been a while since the machine has been used).

18.5" actual swing, 54" between centers. D series spindle nose (D1-6", IIRC).
Taper attachment
16 speeds, 12-472 rpm
Includes 3-jaw chuck with reversible top-jaws, two steady rests, 4-position toolpost, live center, two micrometer stops.

The machine has the typical rough paint but no known mechanical issues. It has been idle for the past 4 years, but now occupying space better suited to a CNC lathe. I'm in no huge rush to see it go but certainly don't want to see it get scrapped.

$2000 for the lathe. I can load onto any trailer shorter than 20 feet with the bridge crane. A longer trailer would require a forklift. I estimate machine weight of 6000-8000 lbs.

There is also a Cincinnati horizontal mill with an adapter for a bridgeport vertical head (I can also throw in a taiwanese bridgeport knockoff head in need of a rebuild), a Van Norman #16 (14x60 table) horizontal/vertical mill, a Cincinnati 24" universal shaper, and a Reed-Prentice 18x54(?) toolroom lathe for sale. If there is any interest in any of these machines, let me know and I'll post some photos and specs. All machines (possibly excepting the Cincinnati mill) can be tested under power.

My apologies for the poor photos.

Tooling, including bed bracket for taper attachment:

If you can get quality pictures of the lathe, specifically of the ways, carriage, etc, any damage, and more info, like confirming electrical, I have a friend that may just be wanting that lathe. Its a long haul though, so he would need a lot of detail before making the trip.

How much are you asking for the Cincinnati shaper? I the guy from Sacramento ( different sign on name ) who bought the Gould and Eberhardt shaper from you a couple of years ago and really liked the universal table on that Cincinnati. I was going to buy that Cincinnati horazontal from you back then but I ended up with a K&T 2k horazontal. How about that monster radial drill you have in there, interested in selling that to?

Thanks for the interest guys. The machines are located in Oakland, California. Please let me know if these prices are absurd. None of these machines are boat anchors, but I understand it takes unique work to find a use for them. All of these machines are within the capacity of the bridge crane for loading.

Cyclotronguy, I will get you some photos of the Cinci mill as soon as I get back to my shop, hopefully this weekend. I can tell you it's a 40-taper machine (as is the bridgeport knockoff head I'd include). I'm not sure if there are any arbors that go with it, but I can check. I believe it has a problem with some of its power feed, but I'm not certain (this machine I have never personally run). The vertical head is an Edelstaal. Its bearings and spindle seem fine, but has an undiagnosed problem with its backgear. I was thinking $500 for the mill or $700 for the mill+head. I also have a few misc NMTB40 toolholders I can include with the mill.

Fal Grunt, I'd be happy to get you more detailed photos as well, and can take video of the machine operating if need be.

I'm not in a hurry to see the Cincinnati shaper go (I still have pretentions of finding work for it), however $800 seems like a fair price, including two toolholders and the vise.

No radial arm drills for sale. Both of ours see very regular use.

I found some photos of some of the machines in my archive. The Van Norman is a no. 38 (NMTB 50 Taper), and was professionally rescraped on all axes soon before its retirement. It has back and front controls. The dividing head is not included. There are a few 50 taper toolholders to go with the machine.

The Reed-Prentice lathe. Similar speeds to the Monarch (~12-500 rpm). Taper attachment, steady rest (maybe two), 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks and QC toolpost included (with 2 or 3 holders). L series spindle. Appears to have an automatic leadscrew disengage, however this machine I have never personally run. Navy tags, manufactured April 1941(!). I was thinking $1500 for this machine, partly because it is almost fully tooled although it is probably a little less lathe than the Monarch. It can be tested under power:

The Cinci shaper, which I have personally run within the last year. 220V 3-phase:

My apologies for the slow reply.

All machines are still available. I will post if any of them disappear.

A photo of the Cinci horizontal mill:

Another view of the shaper:

The nameplate on the Reed-Prentice lathe, showing the speeds, date of MFG (3-1-1941), USN tag, and mention of the leadscrew reverse feature. I also found a ~17" faceplate for this machine.

Lastly, for those of us who view FS threads just so we can dream, a photo of an abandoned ~48"x120' Niles lathe nearby. Neither this building nor the machine are mine (if only). I expect this machine will be going to scrap eventually. If someone actually has a use for it contact me via PM and I can refer you to the person I know who took this photo. The machine has a 4-jaw and something like 5 or 6 fixed steadies.

Find someone who wouldn't charge a Dumas amount for shipping and I will take it all!
I see lots of stuff for sale in Cali... But shipping quotes for cross- country have caused some heart problems!

I really want that monster Niles, tho I have no practice place or use for it:bawling:

Lastly, for those of us who view FS threads just so we can dream
No, now I'm going to have nightmares seeing another piece of big machinery gone to scrap.

Both the Cinci and the VN mill have power feeds in X and Y. I'm not sure about Z but I wouldn't be surprised.

The big lathe is about 25 yds from a two-lane wide street-level door with 30+ feet of overhead clearance. The building used to be a shipyard machine shop. I count 5 bridge cranes (or pieces of them) in that photo. The lathe is in the large bay with four 30 ton overhead cranes, so I'm sure they could have just craned it directly off of the truck (or railcars) without much hassle.

The Cincinnati mill and Reed Prentice lathe are both still available, all other machines have been sold. I ran a job consisting of a couple 12" OD aluminum parts on the Reed Prentice. It hogged like a champ and left impressively impressively fine surfaces on finishing cuts.

PM me if you're interested in the Cinci or Reed Prentice. $650 buys the horizontal mill and a 40-taper Taiwanese knockoff bport head that fits it (I believe it needs some work, but it also comes with a few toolholders).

$1400 buys the Reed Prentice lathe.

I believe the Niles lathe was scrapped by the organization refurbishing the building, alas.

I believe the Niles lathe was scrapped by the organization refurbishing the building, alas.

Wow what a flashback. I've still got a copy of the picture of that big Niles on my computer.

I think I'd only gotten my first lathe a few months before post 10 and 15, a 10x36 Sheldon. It would still be a few months before I moved my first "big" lathe, the 30x168 1904 L&S. Now I think I'm up to 6 lathes... Up late studying so I've actually lost track due to mental drain.:D

But I've learned enough and moved enough that I think I theoretically could handle something the size of that Niles. I'm sure the bed would be modular so it would just be a mater of busting it apart and rigging the sections. Fortune in haulage miles and crane fees, but I've been wanting my own crane and semi for a long time anyway.:D

Not trying to steal your thread Halcohead, it's just you bumping this thread has reminded me how much I've learned and how much iron I've moved in the last two years. It's quite humbling.

Last edited:

Back