What's new
What's new

Fs: Okuma Howa Millac 40v 30x16 VMC, running well with tooling in Atlanta GA

upthebikes

Cast Iron
Okuma Howa Millac 40v vertical machining center. Original owner was an aerospace 2nd tier shop, I bought it running parts off their floor.

30x16 table.
22.8 X 15.74 Y 17.71 Z travels.
Sidemount 20 tool changer

787 ipm rapids x and y, 630 ipm z
Feed rate .039 - 196.8 ipm

Spindle 50 - 10000 rpm, stepless spindle
5.5/7.5 peak kW spindle
Max power (every motor on at once full blast) 19kVa. I’ve never even come close.

Cat 40, standard MAS (haas style) pullstuds
200/220/240 tapped power supply, the internal transformer can be tapped for what you have. I run this on a rotary phase converter, and that works fine as well.

Spindle Chiller, works well
Central Lube system
Full Enclosure
Dual coolant tanks
Does not have air blast turned on, but it can be changed in ladder logic. I’ve not tried this.
Fwd and rev auger
“tap oiler through spindle” (not TSC, but hey it helps)

Fanuc OM-C with options:
Upgraded memory
Rigid tapping
Helical
Ramping with plane selection
Simultaneous 3-axis control
.0001 programmable resolution
G53-G58 work offsets (1 global, 1 machine and 4 work offsets)
Tool Length Compensation and 1-99 TLO storage
Tool Pre-select (can call tool magazine and load tool in low-pot position while program is running)
Macros unlocked by previous owner
4th axis can run on this machine, and the owner provided notes on the i/os necessary for this, but it is only 3 axis simultaneous in the control so only z/y/4th would work, etc.

RS-232 port, native to the machine, works fine for dnc/drip/transfer

I’m including:
all original manuals (operation, ladder diagram, parameter book)

13 YG-1 cat 40 holders w/ Maritool studs. These holders are made in Korea, and are fantastic. 1 shell mill arbor, 6 er-16 and 6 er-32 in near new condition.

1 yg-1 45* face mill w/ one pack of inserts for steel and one for stainless

Full set of yg-1 er-16 and er-32 collets (also korean made, standard precision but very nice) with wrenches.

About 2 dozen Garr solid carbide 2 flute endmills.

Well worn, but functional 6” kurt w steel jaws.

Asking $10k, tooling and loading on your truck or trailer included with asking price.

In preparation for selling, I’ve cleaned the machine pretty darn well. Enclosure has to come off for load out, so I took it off and low-pressure washed every panel and all the coolant tanks with simple green and then a rinse. It’s in pretty good cosmetic shape for how old it is. Fit into an 82” wide door with the enclosure off.

I rebuilt the auger motor, cleaned out the solenoids on the tool changer, rebuilt the tool arm, replaced the bellevilles and have the air pressure in the machine right on. A large compressor is not needed for this machine, which is a huge plus. I run an old single stage 3hp compressor.

No tripped relays, no alarms, just a good but older machine.

Spindle runout less than .00015” and tool holder runout less than .0002. Holds large bores during interpolation well under .001 with no chatter or witness marks at n/s/e/w.

Located in Atlanta GA 30318

I have about a dozen or so videos I am glad to email (or text, even easier), showing power on / start / home from cold, 50-10k spindle run, sample program, spindle run-out, face milling, tool changes, etc. Just let me know if you want them.

This machine is ready to make chips and can still make somebody a good living.

Thanks

01313_4mfKqqvxO3Vz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_5QVNSWNaEDz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00404_dlGKUjA1GPUz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00f0f_9Ija0Ina2xAz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_2UmuUFZXn24z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_eXluXOnx8hCz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I thought this was a fair price for a good running vmc, but judging by the lack of response perhaps not.

$7500 and I’m happy to answer any questions, take photos or do a video inspection for you.

I suspect if the machine's appearance matched it's capabilities you'd have an easier time selling.

I love machines like yours. They're usually a great investment when nobody else bids.

I wouldn't dare buy a Haas or Fadal that looked like that, but a Japanese machine is built to look like that.

Update: I’m pretty motivated to sell this. $3500 for the machine. tooling and loading is negotiable. Any questions or to take a look at it, just let me know.

You dropped your price a week late for me. I just bought a nearly identical machine.

Somebody's going to get a deal. That's a money maker!

Let me know if you want to sell the tooling separate, I have a friend who just bought a mill, dont know if he needs more tooling or not. Located near you in Stone Mt. Good luck selling the mill, I have a smaller 2000 model with Fanuc 21i control, they are nice simple machines.

Charles

How tall is it in the transport position and what does it weigh?

89” tall to the top of the z motor with the spindle down and mounted on a wood block for shipping. Weighs right about 9000 total (that was with full coolant tanks and fluids, now drained and cleaned out for transport).

Let me know if you want to sell the tooling separate, I have a friend who just bought a mill, dont know if he needs more tooling or not. Located near you in Stone Mt. Good luck selling the mill, I have a smaller 2000 model with Fanuc 21i control, they are nice simple machines.

Charles

Thanks Charles, I’ll probably keep the tooling for now. I have some other 40 taper machines, but I’ll let you know. Hope you are doing well.

89” tall to the top of the z motor with the spindle down and mounted on a wood block for shipping. Weighs right about 9000 total (that was with full coolant tanks and fluids, now drained and cleaned out for transport).

I was hoping the 3016 sized machine would be a little shorter, I'm pretty sure I could take enough stuff off to get though the door but the ceiling is only 95" where I'd like the machine to go.

The sheet metal covers, z axis motor, and tool changer motor are the only things up there all pretty easily removed. The cable carrier track is about a foot under, maybe a bit more. I will gladly take some more detailed measurements for you if that helps.

Back