What's new
What's new

FS: Rebuilt Delta Milwaukee Surface Grinder

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
Newly rebuilt Delta Milwaukee Toolmaster 6" by 12" Surface Grinder. Includes new import 4" by 7" fine pole magnetic chuck and basic tools. One wheel hub and a few extra good used wheels. It's not a high production machine IMO, but 110v power and simple compact build make it perfect for a home shop or space starved machine shop. The original cast iron legs are gone, but can be replaced by welded steel, OR throw it on a sturdy bench and save floor space. One unique feature on these grinders is that the round vertical column can pivot the head around so that you can set the grinding wheel at an angle to your feed. It's also designed with a course down-feed moving the whole head assembly close to your work first, then a separate fine feed adjusts the spindle alone.

The rebuild included re-scraping the ways (see pictures) and surface grinding the gibs. All electrical was replaced with new or good used original Delta/Rockwell components. Everything is snug and moves well. The motor is missing it's original 2 step pulley and is instead setup with a single speed pulley, but they come up on online auctions occasionally. Some minor parts still have cosmetic or superficial wear, but nothing effecting the accuracy or utility of the machine. The motor and it's pulley have not been dynamically balanced as would be the case with the OEM set, but this doesn't seem to be effecting the surface finish of the grind.

Prior to scraping, all the sliding surfaces had .03-.04 grooves worn into them. The saddle and table were scraped flat using a grade A inspection plate to an average of 20 PPI and the top and bottom surfaces are parallel within .0005". The base casting I scraped to be flat using a 24" straight edge. The top of the table was ground on the machine itself and came in evenly without one corner hitting first or needing a lot of material removed. I also cut some additional oil lines into the gibs to help keep oil in between the surfaces. Like other grinders, it's set up so that you oil the table and the run-off from that drips through the saddle and oils the other ways under it.

I believe the Rex Machinery tag is the company that sold it new back in 1966, so it's a native Houston machine. After getting into this it, I found some places full of water and think it was a Hurricane Harvey victim, but rest assured I was very thorough in drying, cleaning, and oiling every individual part. Some parts had some heavy pitting but none on the critical moving surfaces. All electrical was replaced, new rear spindle bearing, cleaned and adjusted front tapered spindle bearing. It's ready to make parts for plenty more decades.

I took this project on for the experience and know I'll never get all my time out of it, but I'd like to get $3500. I'll gladly consider other offers too. At this point I just need it out the shop for a fair price.
00K0K_bexCVaHBLdf_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_fWMS9kvknC7_1200x900.jpg
00v0v_cqpsAM5xVvK_1200x900.jpg
00G0G_iyctel7fXob_1200x900.jpg
01010_8Bl5Aau3uLa_1200x900.jpg

Forgot to add that the grinder is located in Conroe Texas (north side of Houston). I'll box it up for shipping too if needed. I'll get some weight/dimensions estimates together, but it's "light" enough to go via LTL carrier. Or you can PM me your address and any preferred carriers and I'll shoot you back a quote.

Not interested in this grinder, because I bought one from Mr Naegle last year, but I would confidently deal with him again. Communication was clear and easy, the machine was exactly as described and he was a great help with loading.

To a perspective buyer- proceed with confidence.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That looks like a nice machine. Not in the market at this time but it would be perfect for a home shop.

MB, I think it’s too rich for my blood but would like to at least come take a look. I saw your ad on CL as well. I’m over in Magnolia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

around here KY you can not give a manual grinder away lucky to get an offer of 500. plant flowers around it and call it STEAM PUNK art

FYI: I'm looking for the 2 step motor pulley but haven't been able to find an original. I have some dimensions and am going to see about making one. If I can and can find a local motor shop that can balance the set, we'll see how much it effects the surface finish.

Are there any other thoughts on what would make this machine more appealing (other than being an entirely different one;))? Not to get maximum value on my side, but just what would make it a fair trade? Any other parts you'd be concerned with? Big thanks to TDegenhart for PM'ing me some thoughts.

I'm going to make a video of it in a little while.

I think the problem is obvious, this is simply not a surface grinder that people are willing to pay around $3000 for.

I'm not bashing the op's work or the value of his work. I have no reason to believe he didn't do an outstanding job of rebuilding it. I'm just saying no one will pay that price for this kind of machine.

I have one that I paid $165 a few years back. I spent another $70 or $75 for some extra parts from someone who was parting out his on this forum. It is not in the best of conditions, but it is functional. I also saw another one locally a couple of years ago that was all set up with VFD and in very good condition that I could have had for $900. I think that anything much over $1200 is very optimistic.

But I understand that it only takes one buyer and that, for now, the owner has the last word. I'm only posting this because the OP is asking "how can I make this grinder more attractive?". That's my answer, a price more inline with the market for that machine. Maybe slash that last price in half? Maybe you'll start to get some nibbles then.

Good luck anyway.

Jacques

Just cleared some space. Only lets me have something like 3 emails in my inbox it seems!

That’s the million dollar question. I’m in Magnolia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question for the OP.

In the third picture from your second post, there are 2 1/2" holes. I believe those should be filled with felt cord to hold and distribute oil on the ways under the table. I think there may be a couple other locations that require the same too. But I'm not certain as I am at work now. I can check at home tonight.

If the OP or the eventual buyer wants some, it can be ordered from MCMaster. I did order some for mine at the time (3 feet minimum I think) and I'll gladly send a sufficient length for the price of shipping in a large envelope. Probably less than $3.00.

Jacques

I actually ordered some of that felt cord for my Rivett from McMaster. Don’t recall the diameter. Think 3/8”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for the OP.

In the third picture from your second post, there are 2 1/2" holes. I believe those should be filled with felt cord to hold and distribute oil on the ways under the table. I think there may be a couple other locations that require the same too. But I'm not certain as I am at work now. I can check at home tonight.

If the OP or the eventual buyer wants some, it can be ordered from MCMaster. I did order some for mine at the time (3 feet minimum I think) and I'll gladly send a sufficient length for the price of shipping in a large envelope. Probably less than $3.00.

Jacques

Thanks for catching that, I'll see about adding some felts. There wasn't anything in them when I started, but the previous owner had pumped grease into the ways which likely contributed to their wear.

Back