What's new
What's new

FS - Van Norman 16S Milling Machine

Dick Streff

Aluminum
For sale a horizontal/vertical Van Norman 16S milling machine. This is the older version of the 1R3 machine I am also selling but this particular model includes a quill in the head also. I think the quill has a 4" travel. There is 14 1/2" of daylight between quill and table in vertical mode and about 23 1/2" to the spindle centerline from the tabletop in horizontal mode. The spindle nose is NMTB 30 taper. Includes the factory Type A arbor support for the overarm. No tooling is included.

This particular machine was purchased by me years ago and has been in storage since. I did take the head off one winter years ago and refurbished it. The photo with the head painted gray is the after shot. There were several small helical gears missing from the quill power downfeed and I machined new ones. It has been tested under power and the quill feed works as designed now. Powerfeeds on the x-axis worked correctly also. Y and Z axis are manual operation.

The machine is dirty and greasy and needs some TLC. Note the crank handle for the z-axis is missing. The hub is still installed though. Currently wired for thee phase 480v but could be rewired for 240V. Electrical controls as added by some previous owner in the large box on the left side. The riser shown under the base is a heavy channel fabrication made by some previous owner.

Here is a download of the instruction and parts manual:

Van Norman Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Van Norman No. 16 Instruction Manual and Parts List | VintageMachinery.org

Asking $975.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more photos. Can be seen under power. Have forklift to load with onsite.

Dick

vn-16s-front-2749.jpgvn-16s-knee-front-2760.jpgvn-16s-overarm-2762.jpgvn-16S-quill.jpgIMG_0694.jpg

Back