What's new
What's new

FS: Warner & Swasey NO.3 Turret Lathe in Michigan

red beard

Cast Iron
For sale:
Warner & Swasey No 3 Turret Lathe
$500.00 OBO

We just bought a Turning center and need to make room.
I'm not exactly sure of the year, but I would guess 1940's. (Serial# 518984)

The only real problem with the machine is the low range clutch is weak. It has very little torque in the low range, but the high range seems to work fine.

It includes all of the tooling attached to it in the pictures except for the turning tool in the toolpost:
-4 Position tool post
-single, rear tool post
- 3 jaw chuck
- two long turret nose extensions
- one short turret nose extension
- two drill chucks

It was set up with a collet chuck originally. The lever and draw-tube are still attached, but I haven't been able to find the chuck. If I find it, I will throw that in with it too.

You can email me at: aaron(at)randalltool.com

100_0070.jpg100_0073.jpg100_0074.jpg100_0076.jpg100_0077.jpg

I would take that in a second if you were local.I cut my machine shop teeth on #3's and #5"s lots of good memories and a lot of great learning. You could get very creative and knock parts out like crazy with good tools and the right set up.

I hope you find a good home for it, Good luck.

Make Chips Boys !!

Ron

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but Ron, I tried PMing you, your inbox is full. If you, or anybody else is interested, a friend of mine is downsizing his shop in Providence, and has two #3's and a #5 for sale. I've been meaning to get some pics and post them for him here. They are all seventies vintage square heads, and I believe one or two have bar feeders and all have a ton of other tooling. Not sure what he's asking but if interested, I can get more info/pics ect.

The last example of high volume machining before the advent of cnc. Still brings fond memories to mind and I still miss my #3!

Lee (the saw guy)

Price Reduced to $350.00.

The new machine will be here next week, so I need to find a buyer, otherwise it's heading to the scrap yard. I really don't want to scrap this machine. It's still usable. I'd much rather see it go to a good home.

One thing I should add to the description that I didn't know when I started this thread: if you're going to use this for turning, that it cuts with a significant taper. I didn't have that in the original listing because we never did any turning on it, just facing, cut-off, and turret operations. Someone who stopped in to look at it asked about turning, so we did a test cut. It tapered about .004" per inch near the chuck.

Back