What's new
What's new

Graziano Sag12s Lathe

rpseguin

Stainless
This lathe is very clean and the ways are in great shape, no scoring or pitting.
The carriage and cross slide both move very smoothly.

I bought this lathe as a project, but I don’t have time and space to fit it in my garage.
I haven’t tried powering it up yet, but I’ll try to get to it soon.
The spindle does turn fine by hand.
The lathe should be considered a project, but I think a pretty good bet to get a nice condition Graziano without too much work.

The cross-slide/carriage feed interlock needs looking at. Probably a simple fix; the carriage and cross slide both move smoothly.

fa8068cb3d0a1b46ffc6631eb4382a17.jpg

6673b4ea4650a7b995c13c68184b8f2c.jpg

f2ef6e2bcce142e364a32c76885f2806.jpg

d8f0fc102ed92ae9d995c942c5ee34b6.jpg

I have a 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck and a faceplate that will fit it.

Last edited:
So, I’m going to have a huge garage sale this Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
I’m in Napa, California, so if you’re nearby, I’m going to have a lot of good stuff for sale:

Huge Garage Sale, Tools, Bikes, Machinery - garage & moving sales -...

Huge garage sale Friday, Saturday, 8am-3pm
NO EARLY BIRDS!!
Cash only!
I don’t have time to respond to the MANY messages I’m receiving.
Just show up after 8am, bring cash, find great stuff!

Nice Kenmore Elite grill with side burner and side fridge
CharBroil grill
Tools, power tools, hand tools
Bicycles
Bike parts
Mitutoyo, Federal, Starrett, indicators digital and dial,
Mitutoyo Digimatic
Drill press
Diamond tooling
Grinding tooling
Graziano Sa12s precision toolroom lathe
lathe
Hardinge HLV-H Super Precision toolroom lathe
Hardinge Omniturn CNC lathe
Spinner SB ultra precision CNC lathe
Sharp CNC/manual mill
Surface grinder
CNC mill
Kurt vises
neighbor has a 4ftx4ft Torchmate CNC plasma table
GMC K2500 truck
Carbon fiber road bike, Ultegra
Bike lights
Computers
LCD monitors
Mac Pro computers
Telescopes
Binoculars
Kids clothes, toddler clothes
Bicycle trailer
Starrett 24”x36” granite surface plate on metal stand with casters and leveling feet
Tubing bender
Trampoline
Weed wacker
HDMI cables, DVI cables, power cables
Transformers, 1ph and 3 phase
Carts/dollies
Servo motors and drives
Stepper drivers
Copper wire
Heavy duty casters
Glass cutter
Brand new in the box leaf blower
Ceiling fans

Free stuff too.

Last edited:
I edited the original post, as I forgot to mention that I have a D1-4 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck and a faceplate that will fit it.
I also have a spindle MT to 5C adapter that will fit

I am interested in the lathe. I know the brand name, but not much more. What is the swing and the center distance, weight, power requirements, and when you call it a project, can you be more specific? The meter to the right of the carriage and the controls; what are they for? Will the bed require regrinding to repair what appears to be rust at the headstock?
Thanks,
Bob Johnson

I am interested in the lathe. I know the brand name, but not much more. What is the swing and the center distance, weight, power requirements, and when you call it a project, can you be more specific? The meter to the right of the carriage and the controls; what are they for? Will the bed require regrinding to repair what appears to be rust at the headstock?
Thanks,
Bob Johnson

Bed is in beautiful condition and definitely does NOT need regrinding.
Stated in original post that the feed interlocking between the carriage handwheel and the cross needs some looking at/fiddling with, but I think it’s a simple fix (couple of hours?).

What you're seeing as rust is a sheet metal cover over the rear way. The front piece is missing. The picture of the front way, which looks fine, shows the empty screw holes for the cover. The main cover is just visible in the upper right corner of the pic. It's a much heavier piece running all the way to the end of the bed, visible in the picture of the serial number.

The ones near the headstock are thinner and only extend to the tailstock ways, leaving a 'gap bed' of sorts.

The feed lever has an overload adjustment on it. A knob at the bottom of the housing. It might be backed out, or screwed all the way in. I don't remember how it reacts in each. It also has the feed stop accessory.

The meter is an analog spindle RPM gauge, varied by the 2 buttons beneath it. The rotary switch to the left engages an electric brake for threading.

It weighs about 2200 lbs. Swing is 6-1/2" over the carriage, 17" in the gap. 32" C to C. D1-4 spindle, with a #5 Morse taper, 1-5/8" bore. No 3 Morse in the tailstock.

Roughly 4 HP, 3 phase. Mine runs on 220. I don't know if they're switchable between that and 440. They also had an option of spindle speed range. Standard was 55-2000. Option is 80-2600. The pulleys from the main gearbox to the headstock are different.

What you're seeing as rust is a sheet metal cover over the rear way. The front piece is missing. The picture of the front way, which looks fine, shows the empty screw holes for the cover. The main cover is just visible in the upper right corner of the pic. It's a much heavier piece running all the way to the end of the bed, visible in the picture of the serial number.

The ones near the headstock are thinner and only extend to the tailstock ways, leaving a 'gap bed' of sorts.

That’s correct, although I do have the front covers as well, I just removed them for way pictures.

The rear covers are indeed much heavier.

The feed lever has an overload adjustment on it. A knob at the bottom of the housing. It might be backed out, or screwed all the way in. I don't remember how it reacts in each. It also has the feed stop accessory.

The meter is an analog spindle RPM gauge, varied by the 2 buttons beneath it. The rotary switch to the left engages an electric brake for threading.

It weighs about 2200 lbs. Swing is 6-1/2" over the carriage, 17" in the gap. 32" C to C. D1-4 spindle, with a #5 Morse taper, 1-5/8" bore. No 3 Morse in the tailstock.

Roughly 4 HP, 3 phase. Mine runs on 220. I don't know if they're switchable between that and 440. They also had an option of spindle speed range. Standard was 55-2000. Option is 80-2600. The pulleys from the main gearbox to the headstock are different.

Thanks for the great summary!! :-)
You should come to my garage sale tomorrow and sell my lathe! :-)

The lathe will include:
-3 jaw chuck
-4 jaw chuck
-faceplate
-5C taper adapter

And I’ll throw in the quick change toolpost I have listed on Practical Machinist.
a755d1fe95a458d2f5b5797167e8edfc.jpg

While the power was out yesterday, I fixed the carriage/cross slide interlocking lever. It took 5 minutes, so I overestimated the work needed.
Works great!

Back