What's new
What's new

Levin Cabinet Watchmakers Precision Lathe 8303

Urdaco

Plastic
I bought a Levin lathe as a project and I didn’t realize how delicate and costly they are to accessories. I hope to sell it. And reinvest in a small mill.

I bought it from a second owner, who ran a medical equipment manufacturing. He used it to create prototypes for heart implant components. And interesting enough it used to belong to Doctor William P Murphy. According to the owner that I bought it from, the machine was purchased from his state sale in the late 80’s. William P Murphy won a Nobel price for medicine and he was a hobby machinist. So it’s a cool backstory to the machine.

The machine runs, the bearing runs smooth and the motor has a surprising amount of torque even at low RPM’s. It’s an original permanent magnet motor. The slide works smoothly, it does have backlash and I don’t know if there’s a way to adjust it out. But again due to its high level of precision and cost, I don’t feel qualified to adjust it. All components work as they should although it needs some TLC.

The base and the lathe weight around 300 pounds. Well mostly the base, the lathe should weight more than 30pounds and I believe I’m being quite generous. Of someone is interested I see how it’s attached to the cabinet and can manufacture a crate and bolt it. This would allow regular shipping. Of not a freight might be necessary otherwise.

I’m hoping to recoup the $1500 dollars I purchased it for. But I’m willing to hear offers.

The component that comes with it are:
The lathe
The cabinet
1 collet size 71 type D Aka 10mm
The motor control
The motor
The Cross slide

Let me know if you need any further details.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 46
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 51
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg