What's new
What's new

Haas TM1-P For Sale. Very Low Hours

ASD Motorsports

Plastic
Hi All,

Been lurking on and off here for years, never joined until now.

I purchased a brand new TM1-P for prototype work, to shorten our R&D lead times and for our motorsport program very short runs and quick turn around times. It made sense to bring that in house so we could develop quickly.
There were also confidentiality advantages on some projects.
The machine has never run a production job of more than 10 parts at a time, and it has only ever machined 6061 aluminum.

We used the machine very sporadically over about four years for this purpose, then stopped using it. It would sit for months at a time until we needed it to develop something new for the race cars. It probably only has 300 hours on it, best guess, and is like brand new.

In the end we developed a trusted and mutually beneficial relationship with a local job shop, so stopped using it completely. I then took it to my house hobby shop for personal projects, but never wired it into the panel. So its been sitting in the corner for about three years.

It's not the first Haas I've owned, so it wasn't used as a learner machine. Never crashed, has some 40T tooling (about 10 tool holders). Has the chip auger, large coolant tank etc. No probe as we weren't doing production and set-up time didn't bother us.

It's like brand new and hasn't got a scratch on it. The machine bed has never seen anything on it as I had a blanchard ground set up plate bolted to the bed before we ever started using it, and a brand new Kurt vice bolted to one end of that.

As its not wired in, I can't fire it up to confirm accurate hours - and won't bother unless someone is interested in buying it and unless I have to.

I'm open to offers... it can keep sitting there doing nothing but that's kind of dumb and the space back would be good. Don't need the money, but also happy to give someone a good fair deal and I don't think it's gold plated.
Paid about $40k for it at the end of 2009, plus the tooling, blanchard ground plate on the bed, Kurt vice etc.
I spend my life now running three businesses, and don't ever see me machining my own stuff ever again - not even for my personal stuff.

If you have an offer, or want to know more shoot me an email at [email protected].
Machine is located in Charlotte North Carolina. My home hobby shop has full size truck access inside with 14 foot roll up doors for rigging access.
If anyone is keen I'll take the time to get some photos.

If you Google or search social media for ASD Motorsports / Ian Stewart / Hoonicorn Mustang it should give you enough verification that I can be a trusted seller.

Have a great day guys!

- Ian.

What options does it have? I imagine not many at that price.

Rigid tapping is enabled, I think we may have added some others but can't find the order sheet.
Pretty sure we didn't add the 4th axis card.
It does have the large coolant tank and pump, chip auger, like brand new Kurt vice, the 10T changer, and about 10 tool holders. And of course the blanchard ground fixture plate on the bed which allows using maximum travel without hanging parts off the side of the bed.

Can provide the serial number if someone knows how to get the build info from Haas? Build date was December 2009, but we didn't receive and install it until 2010.

It looks like with current Haas discounts, this exact machine could be purchased brand new for around $33k, from a retail price of close to $40k, plus the extras above.

I think a buyer for this machine would be someone who would like a brand new machine (because this one basically is) but would want to save a bunch of money on the brand new price. And realizes that even though its a build year 2009, there are probably a lot of 1 year old machines out there that already have more hours on them than this one.
I mean... even the button faces on the control look like they have never had a finger on them and we all know what they end up looking like with not much use.
So its kind of a Unicorn I guess... which makes it harder to put a price on it I think.

So how's this for a best guess. If a new machine exactly the same can be purchased from Haas right now with all the current discounts Haas is offering with warranty for around $33k, does that make this one worth $20k to $23k with the tooling and extras?
I seriously don't know. Obviously Ebay has them listed occasionally for a lot more but that doesn't mean anyone is buying them.

I think reality is, if its worth less than $20k I'll likely just keep it in case I wanted to use it one day.

Anyone else have any thoughts on if my price thinking is crazy or realistic?

Just wanted to say hello, Ian. I remember exchanging 3D files with you on the steering for the Hoonicorn project. Subsequent projects executed by others don't hold a candle to ASD's creation.

Hope you can sell that machine, but agree if the resale is under $20K it's worth keeping it around for your own amusement.

Just wanted to say hello, Ian. I remember exchanging 3D files with you on the steering for the Hoonicorn project. Subsequent projects executed by others don't hold a candle to ASD's creation.

Hope you can sell that machine, but agree if the resale is under $20K it's worth keeping it around for your own amusement.

Is that you Tony? Wonderful to hear from you again sir. And thank you much for the kind words!

Yes... we had some fun with that Hoonicorn creation for sure :-)

Apologies to all who have been emailing with request for photos.

Work has been incredibly busy, and I was trying to get these done but just running out of hours every day. I also went off to get married last weekend, so that also slowed me up for a few days.
Getting this machine up for sale has not been the highest priority.

As you can all see, the machine is in like brand new condition and has done very little work.

Please email me at [email protected] with any further questions. I promise I'll reply more promptly going forward :-)

Word of caution- I am not familiar with the TM line of Haas mills.

It does indeed look great, but it is still a 10 year old machine. :o I hope you can sell it, but I suspect you would be better off keeping it and getting a little use out of it, even intermittently...

Word of caution- I am not familiar with the TM line of Haas mills.

It does indeed look great, but it is still a 10 year old machine. :o I hope you can sell it, but I suspect you would be better off keeping it and getting a little use out of it, even intermittently...

I've realized that I'll never use it Mike. So its a waste of a good machine to just sit doing nothing.
And you are right that it's close to 10 years old of course. But it has almost no hours on it, and its not the price of a new one from Haas that are still exactly the same machine today :-)

Back