What's new
What's new

Hands-on Machine Shop course in central NJ

Ken Klose

Plastic
Would anyone be interested in attending an 9 week hands-on machine shop class at Middlesex County Vo-tech in East Brunswick? It's Tuesday evenings from 7 to 10 starting on 4/5.

There are currently 9 registered students, but we need 10 or else the class will be cancelled. The price with materials would be about $82.50 for people claiming to be in-county (Middlesex, NJ). Some minimal machine shop experience would be required (if you can perform simple operation on a mill and/or lathe that's enough). Its not necessary that you reside in NJ, one student is a retired gentleman who drives in from Staten Island, NY. They charge you more if you tell them that you are from out of the county though.

I attended the fall semester of this course and it was good. Historically they don't offer a spring semester due to low interest, however I've spearheaded an effort to round up enough interested students and get the course added. The school has had their open registration nights and came up one student short and is now threatening to cancel the class. All we need is one more interested student for it to run.

The class is very informal. Most everyone has their own project, or project plans can be provided by the instructor. The instructor then assists each student with the skills needed to complete the project. There are plenty of mills and lathes. There is also a large shaper, grinders, EDM and other equipment that I haven't learnt about yet.

You can find more information about the school here http://www.mcvts.net/adult/Adult_eve.htm. Unfortunately they don't list the machine shop class in the course catalog since it was a late addition. You can register in person at the school on most evenings (although not next week due to spring-break). If you are interested please contact the school (phone or in-person) tomorrow so that they will know not to cancel the class.

Ken

Hello,
You guys wanting to take the class might just chip in all together and buy the last spot just to keep the class from being scrapped. I've seen this done before just to keep the class going.

Thanks
Richard

Middlesex County might be the only Vo-Tech left in the area that actually offers a machine tool class now.

Somerset County Vo-Tech ceased theirs from what I'm told and I know Union County is done because we bought equipment there when they did an auction.

Also there was a Vo-Tech in New Brunswick that sold off the equipment, we were there for that one too and bought a lot of equipment.

The amazing part about the Union County Vo-Tech is that they had expensive equipment there and seemed to spare no expense. We bought 4 Pro-Light bench top CNC machines there that had a new value of over $120,000.

There seems to be little interest in machine tool courses these days, especially in the younger crowd. There's no younger generation coming in to take over for the older guys.

TK

EarlyPearl, Congratulations on your company's buy of the machineshop equipment for pennies. But when your company needs to hire machinests or operators, where will they come from? The Eastern Block countries perhaps?? They won't be local trained as the Vo-tech schools will no longer have the equipment to support these programs. Kind of like shooting yourself in the foot isn't it??

We buy & sell equipment, we are not in manufacturing anymore.

If I don't buy the equipment for "pennies" someone else will.

The equipment we sell goes back into manufacturing in the USA as we don't sell overseas.

Don't blame me for Vo-Tech schools shelling out $$ for equipment when nobody is taking their classes.

TK

The word "blame" did not appear anywhere in my post. I guess that no one can "blame" students for not taking up a profession that seems to have little or no future in the U.S.A. The county was foolish to purchase the equipment with the idea that, "If we build it (the machine shop), they will come (students).

Lack of good employees might be why they decided to become tool dealers. This is not a new problem, getting good help to do the jobs that are out there. The future problem is more of a concern. What are we to do, when another world war starts, and we can't build a .22 bullet, much less a warship. Things just don't look good for our futures.
I do appreciate his not selling outside the USA, despite the huge market out there. If everyone took that approach, we would be in a lot better shape.
Hopefully didn't step on too many toes...
David from jax

Hey, can you tell me when this class begins. I'm really interested in learning more about general machine shop work...kind of an extension of my welding hobby. Also, what time does the class begin/end?

Thanks man, please let me know ASAP.

Back