What's new
What's new

Hardinge BB2V Milling Machine + Collets

fishiganmichigan

Aluminum
Hello all,

Hate to have to part with this little Hardinge mill but it's been a tough year.

IMG_5655.jpg

She's in good shape & comes with the following:

Original Hardinge lamp
New polyurethane spindle belt
A set of (very rare) Hardinge 2VB collets (sizes 1/16", 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2")
An original low-profile Hardinge swivel vise (not pictured)
All parts needed to convert to lever feed on the X-axis (designed & made by me)
Spindle speed range 300-5000 RPM

IMG_1285.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1286.jpg

The previous owner swapped the original motor over to a 120V motor. I had planned to put in a VFD & link it to the levers eventually, but never got around to it. Works fine as is, but adding a VFD would give you easier speed changes.

Located in SW Michigan. Looking for $2500 for the machine & all accessories.

-Rick

Email: [email protected]

Cute, I assume the "very rare" collets are an issue vs. having R8 or 30 taper? Are any other tapers reasonably retrofittable or is rare as good as it gets? Have a few friends who may like it, they're afraid of big CNC iron.

Forget my friends, I want this for my "office". I'll just put down double sided tape so I don't track chips into the kitchen.....

*edit* don't tell work, but I have been sitting at my kitchen island for the last 9 months due to Covid, so my kitchen is my office.

The Hardinge BB2V mill is quite small, with a table about 3" x 12". It takes Hardinge 2VB collets, designed around 1935 just for that mill. In the 1940's, Bridgeport made a model H vertical head for the larger Hardinge horizontal mills and made it take 2VB collets. Both the Hardinge BB2V mills and the Bridgeport H heads are rare, so the collets are rare. The collets have a female thread and a max order hole size of 1/2" and were made in 1/64" increments. They bring pretty high prices from people who need them.

I have a BB2V mill made in 1936. I also have some spare 2VB collets if anyone is looking. The picture shows a few of the collets.

By the way, the original vises for the Hardinge bench mills are very rare and worth hundreds by themselves. They also made cute little indexers and swivel and tilting bases for the indexers.

Larry

2VB 6pc 3.jpg

Forget my friends, I want this for my "office". I'll just put down double sided tape so I don't track chips into the kitchen.....

*edit* don't tell work, but I have been sitting at my kitchen island for the last 9 months due to Covid, so my kitchen is my office.

Haha. Sounds like a great plan to me. Please see Larry's post for more details on the collets. He probably knows more about these little mills than anybody here.

It's all good. My very first lathe (round about 1982) was an atlas TH54 which I put on its bench, in the little hallway going to my apartment's kitchen,
in somverville, MA.

Dang, that little guy is real cute. Its a good thing you are 1000 miles away. Compared to everything else I have, I could put that one in my shirt pocket.

Dang, that little guy is real cute. Its a good thing you are 1000 miles away. Compared to everything else I have, I could put that one in my shirt pocket.

Hahah. That is a great visual. This mill is indeed tiny, but I was very surprised by its stoutness. The beefiness of the castings make for an extremely rigid little machine. This was made back in the era when the answer to "how much cast iron do we really need here" seemed to be "...more."

It's all good. My very first lathe (round about 1982) was an atlas TH54 which I put on its bench, in the little hallway going to my apartment's kitchen,
in somverville, MA.

Can't imagine how my fiance would react to a lathe in the hallway. Might be fun to find out.

Yeah, there was one of these came up for sale a few years back. Absolutely flawless, gorgeous, restoration. I had mixed feelings it was far away.

Was it this one? It was mine. I sent pics of mine to Lathe.co.uk, where you can view it.

It was in mind condition. Bought it from a PM member who had it professionally restored. Sadly I think my brother in law threw it away when I was out of the country, atleast that's what he told me.
Had the original Hardinge BB2 vise also. Super clean machine.

My thread on the machine from way back
Selling Hardinge BB2V vertical micro milling machine

... B-in-law threw it away, along with lots of other cool and desirable machine tools I had.

Can you divorce a brother in law and still keep the wife?

Reminds me of one of my best friends whose brother-in-law sold his rare vintage Gibson SG he had owned since he was a kid to cover the rent.

Steve

Back