What's new
What's new

Hardinge hlvh

Hutterwill

Plastic
Hi everyone, I’m kinda new to PM, finally fingering things out, I’m planning to start a home work shop, I’m looking at a hardinge hlvh that’ll need to be restored that’s in supposedly good shape, problem is the compound slide seems to be missing and am wondering if there’s any chance that anyone would have one for sale or know where to source one, used,can only imagine new price??thanks.

Last edited:
Not sure about the market, but IIRC the used hardinge stuff usually goes fairly high.

Depending on your needs, you may be able to get by without a compound for the majority of stuff. Robin Renzetti did a video on YouTube last year, talking about the benefits of removing a compound from his hardinge, and how he did it. It's worth a watch, at least from my rookie perspective

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The OEM compound has a retracting feature that is essential for cutting threads on this lathe. A compound is also the most practical device for turning short steep tapers that cannot be done with a plunge with a form tool or with a taper attachment.

Hardinge made a very solid four-tool turret tool post that replaces the compound on the HLV-H and TFB-H lathes. They are precisely repetitive and can take heavy use. They are easily available (I will sell one) and a lot cheaper than a good used compound. But I would not want to cut threads with one.

Many years ago, I was able to get a fairly nice used HLV-H compound on eBay, but I have not seen another one for sale.

I have seen some 1950-1960 era HLV lathes (5" bed width) falsely described as 1960+ HLV-H lathes (7" bed width). It is easy to tell the difference from a picture of the headstock.

If the bed is worn, it can still look like a nice lathe, but be incapable of precise work, and that precision is the reason for spending the big bucks, you know.

Larry

Thanks for the info guys, can get one from a fellow in Columbus, Ohio for 1250, gonna be close to 2 grand Canadian by the time it’s up here,so not really knowing the bed condition I’m abandoning this plan, I’m currently dealing on a DR.1LS hembrug in nice shape, been in 1 family all it’s like,hardened bed,45-4000 rpm,3 jaw/4jaw/4 jaw scroll?
quick change with holders and tooling, follow rest, etc.$2800 for all, what’s your opinion on this Dutch tool room lathe,research kinda suggests it’s and awesome machine, am mostly going to do hobby stuff, steam engine etc. I’m trying to get hold of an online manual for it, doesn’t seem to be a lot of info around on it. Tony’s got a good write up on it,can’t find no sites with serial numbers to date it?? If anyone could share a manual for it would really be appropriated. Thanks in advance.

I purchased an HLV-H last year, it had a good bed and no noise from the spindle. But needed leadscrew, nut, pinion, rack, and handwheel shaft. Of course it need almost all the bushing in the apron. Don’t forget to go into the electrical cabinet and check things closely. There is not anything cheap in that list of parts. The compound you are looking at is hard to find, new they are expensive plus need a eccentric pin. It needs to be scrapped to your compound crossslide. If you don’t have a clean scrapped surface then the upper portion of the saddle will need to be scrapped. It what I went through with mine, nothing from the good folks at Hardinge is inexpensive. Even used parts are expensive, look at prices if your bed is bad.

A lot of people recommend the imports. The paint on mine looks like crap, but it sure works great.

I’m currently dealing on a DR.1LS hembrug in nice shape, been in 1 family all it’s like,hardened bed,45-4000 rpm,3 jaw/4jaw/4 jaw scroll?
quick change with holders and tooling, follow rest, etc.$2800 for all, what’s your opinion on this Dutch tool room lathe,research kinda suggests it’s and awesome machine,

The Hembrug gets a very good write up on Lathes.co.uk

Obviuosly you need to check the condition of the ways, do a test cut etc etc, sounds like a winner to me.

I have an HLV-H but that Hemburg sounds like it's the equal to a Hardinge.

I’m looking at a hardinge hlvh that’ll need to be restored that’s in supposedly good shape

I don't like the sound of "supposedly". Those are incredibly expensive machines to restore/fix-up. Every little part, etc. I was looking at an HLV a couple years ago at auction as a fixer. But as I looked a bit closer, it had a busted half nut and just so many other problems. At first glance it looked like a good project, but I'd say it was badly abused.

My point is you need to develop the skills (or get help) to really check the machine over carefully and know that the price reflects the condition.

Also, lifting the machine incorrectly can damage it. The correct way is not obvious. I think there is a mailing list on yahoo or similar that focuses on the HLV&H series. Lots of good help there, and here, but maybe more there.

Of course you're in a really challenging area for machinery, though we don't know for sure where specifically, which is important. Whether you're willing to drive to the states could make a big difference.

The way to lift one is with straps on each mend of the bed. Usually on older lathes you can see wear spots on the underside of the bed where the straps would be.

Lifting is from under the chip pan on a hardinge, one strap or bar under each end, then straps that meet in the middle over the lathe pick up from that point. There is pictures and descriptions in the manual

Back