What's new
What's new

Heald NO 72A grinder Cincinnati Horizontal Mill

restore49

Aluminum
Scrap Yard Find - I know nothing about these machines and scrappers know even less - just thought someone may be interested. MSR Recycling Central Maine. BobIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0168.jpgIMG_0171.jpg

The Heald has the cross-sliding head and the face grinding attachment. Looks to be in reasonable shape, too. It's actually worth some money. Those are nice, and functionally the same as the newer ones that look more square and bring the big bucks.

If I wuz nearby I'd grab it. Anyone who wants to do id grinding, snatch it up. Should be about 10,000 lbs.

Nice find.

Thanks I hate to see these get chunked up. Only information Fred has was they were running machines. Think may be 6,870 lbs. I can go back (10min.) and try to get more pictures or numbers if someone is serious. Bob

I had a Heald like that. Hooked it to power to find it needed workhead bearings and all the ID spindles were junk. It went to scrap, but I saved all the D1-6 fixtures and chucks for my lathes.

I had a Heald like that. Hooked it to power to find it needed workhead bearings and all the ID spindles were junk. It went to scrap, but I saved all the D1-6 fixtures and chucks for my lathes.
Jeeze, Gar. Workhead bearings are simple. Red Heads are available, or if you are cheap, it's not impossible to change bearings. A little expensive but not prohibitive.

If you want to do i.d. grinding, these are fine. 273 looks cooler but the 72 is the same machine under the covers. From the photo, controls on this one haven't been bashed or hacked, either. Looks to be all there.

I see this as an opportunity for a hobby shop. CNC mills in the garage are a dime a dozen, every one of them is trying to cut prices to where you make no money, but i.d. grinding, thread grinding, cam grinding, maybe bevel gears ... choose something no one else does and you are not competing with every tom dick and harry who read on a website how much fun it would be to have a cnc machine.

Jeeze, Gar. Workhead bearings are simple. Red Heads are available, or if you are cheap, it's not impossible to change bearings. A little expensive but not prohibitive.

If you want to do i.d. grinding, these are fine. 273 looks cooler but the 72 is the same machine under the covers. From the photo, controls on this one haven't been bashed or hacked, either. Looks to be all there.

I see this as an opportunity for a hobby shop. CNC mills in the garage are a dime a dozen, every one of them is trying to cut prices to where you make no money, but i.d. grinding, thread grinding, cam grinding, maybe bevel gears ... choose something no one else does and you are not competing with every tom dick and harry who read on a website how much fun it would be to have a cnc machine.

I have taken on a few project machines in the timespan I've been in business. They have a way of wearing me down. Taking the fun out of whatever I bought them to do. I didn't buy that Heald as a project. It was a "bonus" machine a shop threw in to sweeten a deal on a VMC so I would bite. It was supposed to run good, but it didn't. Nobody was interested in the machine on craigslist for scrap price so off to scrap it went.

There might be one or two in there somewhere, but for all that I can remember I do not have any regrets about scrapping a project and moving on.

At this point in my life I regret not avoiding more projects in general. Without a doubt I would be better off today if I had more patience when I was younger and simply saved money while looking for just the right machine. Not settling on some junker that needed a mountain of sweat equity.

At this point in my life I regret not avoiding more projects in general.
Normally I'd agree with you. if it was some old South Bend "heavy ten" or other piece of junk, to the dumpster with ya !

But a 72A is a great id grinder, very versatile, not common anymore, worth keeping around if possible. If you put it on Craigs and no one took the bait, I can understand your dumping it. We can't be expected to store good stuff forever in case someone wants it some day.

(You'd have found uses for it if you fixed it. They'll do faces, tapers, bores, harley flywheels, spindles, you name it. Great machines)

But if you ever throw out an SH-45 Maag, I'ma gonna kill you :D

Back