Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ozmaniac
    The flack you are getting is due to #1 your non descriptive title, #2 you posted in the buy/sell category, WTB=want to buy, WTS=want to sell.

I turn south at Clines Corner and avoid the Lubbock route, the lathe I picked up in ABQ is of the specialized variety, doubt anyone here would be interested in it, and some would probably give me grief on my price, but its one of those good luck finding another one deals, and this one is cherry.

The area you are in is going to be slim pickings, but if you watch Craigslist religiously you might find one, and since you seem to travel a bit, search CL anywhere along the way, I've found some great deals doing that.

Small fit in a garage lathes are at a premium right now, best bang for the buck is one that is too heavy to pick up by hand or even an engine hoist, that is the point most hobbyists start getting shy. If you have 3/4 ton or larger truck, a good stout trailer, a 5K or larger forklift, and a big garage, there are some real deals out there if you are patient.

Tooling has everything to do with price of a lathe, tooling can easily exceed value of a bare machine. Good luck with your hunt!

2. Likes Ozmaniac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Ozmaniac

I turn south at Clines Corner and avoid the Lubbock route, the lathe I picked up in ABQ is of the specialized variety, doubt anyone here would be interested in it, and some would probably give me grief on my price, but its one of those good luck finding another one deals, and this one is cherry.
    No fair!!!!!!! Tell us what you found. It can't be more weird than the frazing lathes you had. BTW, had a guy in Maine express an interest in them. He's trying to put together the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now you *have* to tell us about this lathe. Chances are that I saw it if it was in an auction since I live just south of Abq.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I warn them, but they just don't listen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ozmaniac
    The flack you are getting is due to #1 your non descriptive title, #2 you posted in the buy/sell category, WTB=want to buy, WTS=want to sell.

The area you are in is going to be slim pickings, but if you watch Craigslist religiously you might find one, and since you seem to travel a bit, search CL anywhere along the way, I've found some great deals doing that.

Small fit in a garage lathes are at a premium right now, best bang for the buck is one that is too heavy to pick up by hand or even an engine hoist, that is the point most hobbyists start getting shy. If you have 3/4 ton or larger truck, a good stout trailer, a 5K or larger forklift, and a big garage, there are some real deals out there if you are patient.

Tooling has everything to do with price of a lathe, tooling can easily exceed value of a bare machine. Good luck with your hunt!
    DalmatianGirl61,

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I've written a direct message to Doug Digger asking for forgiveness and a do-over, and explaining my situation, but I haven't heard back from him yet. To anyone else I offended, I'm sorry. I don't frequent forums like this at all, and that was my very first post. The forum is great, but vast and quite daunting to a new comer, it took me 10-15 minutes just to figure out how to start a new thread, and still wasn't sure of the best place to do so. I am actively looking to buy a lathe, so this seemed like the right channel, but I have a million other questions as well, so "help" seemed like the most concise title. I'll be sure to be more specific next time. I had spent a few days searching the forum on information specific to that model lathe, but the only mentioned Logans, were 9 or 10" swing where values topped out at $600-$1500, and being the novice I am, I don't yet have a feel for how quickly the price increases as the size of the lathe goes up, so I was seeking some advice on the value of that specific lathe as I wanted to buy the one I found on CL.

I've been really stressed lately as I'm working my job and trying to start a business (what I need the lathe for), to seize a once in a lifetime opportunity that could chance my entire life. Time has been of the essence as the company I work for is trying to take away my the other opportunity. I'm barely sleeping at all, so again, I apologize if I didn't have a complete grasp of the rules, but I'll try to do better going forward. I didn't mean to flaunt the rules, I just needed some help!

Again, I thank you for your understanding and assistance Dalmatiangirl61.

7. Likes ferretlegger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct me if I missed where you listed max diameter and length of parts you want to make. I also don't see a budget. Lathe prices can vary greatly by region and supply.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Correct me if I missed where you listed max diameter and length of parts you want to make. I also don't see a budget. Lathe prices can vary greatly by region and supply.
    Dualkit,

That's kind of the issue, as I don't have any specific part or parts in mind. I can say that nothing will weigh more than 50 lbs., so pretty small stuff really. I'm a physical therapist that does injury prevention services at large industrial sites. I've currently got the ear of some corporate level safety engineers for some of my early inventions and am trying to develop that relationship further. The client is one of the largest companies in the world, and implemented an ergonomics campaign to eliminate of manage all tasks requiring a lift or carry over 50 lbs., or a push pull force over 70 lbs.

So in general, everything I make is going to be less that 50 lbs., and of a diameter for the human hand to grip, as all items will be directly human operated, nothing being driven by a huge electric motor or gearbox. So it's all small stuff compared to what I'm sure you guys make. Additionally, I'm only building the prototypes, not mass producing the final products, as I have a manufacturer that does that. The client has identified almost 200 tasks around their business unit that exceed their STOP criteria and need solutions developed. In some cases it's as simple as making the task a two man lift, in others, simply introducing some leverage or mechanical advantage lowers the task below the threshold, changing the shape of or extending the length of a handle. My job is to make tasks safer, easier and/or more efficient for the workers I try to keep safe.

I've been researching different options for a couple of months now, trying to be "sensible", but the other side of my brain is constantly telling me, "OMG, imagine what you could build with that monster lathe!" In reality, I'm sure I need just a nice hobbyist size lathe. I've talked the guy down a little with the Logan 1940-2, and feel it will be a good starting point for me, so I'm going on a road-trip tomorrow to pick it up. It's quite possible, I'm still paying a little too much, but it's one of the best options I seen, it appears to be pretty clean, there are few options around West Texas and 350 miles is relatively close, and it comes with some nice tooling. It should at least get me started. I'm excited to get it.

Thanks to all, especially DalmatianGirl61 for any and all input. I'm sure I'll have many more questions to follow, but as I learn more, I'll get better at asking more specific questions and will make every effort to follow the forum rules.