What's new
What's new

Hendey Tool and Gage lathe for sale

shapeaholic

Stainless
Hendey 9x24 Tool and Gage Maker’s lathe in good running condition. It all works as it is supposed to. The machine has been converted to a single phase 240v VFD, as the original DC drive was beyond economical repair.
The only tooling with the lathe is a 3 jaw chuck.

Asking $1500usd or best offer.
Located in Kemptville Ontario.
Local pick up preferred
Delivery possible for a fee
IMG_2673.jpgIMG_2672.jpgIMG_2674.jpg

And now the rest of the story

This is the lathe I had posted several months ago, and one poster had some issues with the history.

As I understand this lathe came from a government auction, probably in minimally useable condition.
At some point it was either dropped, tipped over or had some thing dropped on it. (depends who you get the story from)

I bought the lathe for parts, as it had some unusual accessories that a friend and I wanted. I dragged it home from Chehalis WA (Road Trip!!) Once I got home and stripped the bits we wanted I started to look over the machine, and as I had some of the parts needed I decided to give it another chance.

The headstock had a substantial crack and a bunch of bits were missing here and there. The original DC drive had been butchered to the extent that it was beyond economical repair, so it was replaced with a VFD and 3ph motor.
I had a spare headstock casting so I changed that out and fixed the other busted stuff. It now works fine and is reasonably accurate ( for what it is)

IMG_2629.jpgIMG_2676.jpg
The first pic shows the cracked headstock on the tailgate of my truck headed to the scrap yard. the second shows the new headstock installed. you can see it doesn't line up well with the other castings, but it is aligned and it functions sit should.
The bed is a little worn near the headstock, but no worse than most lathes of it's vintage.
The biggest thing wrong with it now is it needs cleaning and paint.
Please feel free to ask any questions about the machine, and I will try my best to answer

Peter

Back