What's new
What's new

HES 20" x 65" Lathe

wayne43

Plastic
I have a HES 550 lathe 20" swing 65" between centers 12 Hp 3-phase motor, and coolant pump. It has rapid traverse in both feeds. It cuts inch and metric threads. It has a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate and a live chuck for the tail stock, 2 live centers for the tail stock, 2 dead centers for the head stock.
It also has a 40-position tool post, and a tru-trace hydraulic tracer.
Can anyone tell me where to get a value on this lathe?

Thank you.
Wayne

The large components of value are condition of the ways, condition of the spindle bearings, overall appearance, your ability to load a truck/trailer, and location. Give us some information on these items. While HES were good lathes, they didn't have much of a presence, and sold out to Toyoda back in the '80's.

The ways and spindle bearing are in excellent condition. It also has a steady rest and a follow rest.
I am located in Yuba City CA. (50 miles north of Sacramento) I have a forklift I can load it with.
The lathe is in good condition, but it does need paint.
Thank you.
Wayne

The ways and spindle bearing are in excellent condition. It also has a steady rest and a follow rest.
I am located in Yuba City CA. (50 miles north of Sacramento) I have a forklift I can load it with.
The lathe is in good condition, but it does need paint.
Thank you.
Wayne

Well that makes it much clearer....I'll guess scrap + 10%

Digger
What is it that you need to know? I am just trying to get an idea what to ask for this lathe.
With an offer like yours I would be tempted to deliver it and install it for you.
Thank you.
Wayne

Digger
What is it that you need to know? I am just trying to get an idea what to ask for this lathe.
With an offer like yours I would be tempted to deliver it and install it for you.
Thank you.
Wayne

Simply post some pix of these excellent ways, maybe make a leetle video of you making a test cut, show us the spindle running in all the speeds....You know like any dealer does.

Look, you say it's in very good shape, and (I think that) you should get top dollar for it.
But no-one is gonna take your word for it, and will want to buy it cheaper.
If it really is in very good shape, simply prove it and you'll get more money.

Hes pictures

I am trying to post pictures, but I am not very computer Savey so we will see what happens.IMG_1273.jpgIMG_1274.jpgIMG_1275.jpgIMG_1276.jpgIMG_1277.jpg
If this works out, I will try some more tomorrow.
Thank you.
Wayne

More HES pictures

IMG_1271.jpgIMG_1272.jpgIMG_1270.jpgIMG_1269.jpg
I hope these help. I don't know how to post a video here.
Let's just pretend I am telling the truth and give me an idea what this lathe is worth in good condition.
If someone wants to buy it, I will supply what pictures or videos they want.
Thank you.
Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 57
You gentlemen may be correct, but if I sell this lathe for scrap price it will be SCRAP! I will totally destroy it before it leaves.
Thank you for your help.
Wayne

You gentlemen may be correct, but if I sell this lathe for scrap price it will be SCRAP! I will totally destroy it before it leaves.
Thank you for your help.
Wayne

Don't be to hasty. If it's in the condition described it should bring 5k with out to much trouble. Probably more to a interested party or near shops, industrial work.

Sounds like it has decent tooling with it.

What size is the through hole in the headstock?

Hodge

I would say $2500 maybe upwards of $3500 if you sit on it awhile.

It is a lesser known brand, it has a larger swing than most want or need and it has a bed on the short side. 20" swing and bigger lathes are worth significantly more when they can handle 10 foot parts.

There's no "It's not a CNC so it's not worth much". That's not a thing. I have 3 CNC lathes in the medium to BIG range and I have two heavy engine lathes. They do completely different work and use entirely different tooling. Virtually nothing whatsoever in common except they are all lathes.

I would say $2500 maybe upwards of $3500 if you sit on it awhile.

It is a lesser known brand, it has a larger swing than most want or need and it has a bed on the short side. 20" swing and bigger lathes are worth significantly more when they can handle 10 foot parts.

There's no "It's not a CNC so it's not worth much". That's not a thing. I have 3 CNC lathes in the medium to BIG range and I have two heavy engine lathes. They do completely different work and use entirely different tooling. Virtually nothing whatsoever in common except they are all lathes.

It cuts inch and metric threads, that makes it a little more attractive. I've got 5 lathes and not a darn one has metric cutting ability.
Hodge

.02¢
They (figure it out) haven't great cars or many distinct manufactured items, do OK on food, well known for dorky fashion most don't like, the military uniform is said to have larger cut sleeves (for surrendering in comfort, lol).....you get the picture.

Despite that unfortunate family background, the HES lathes are terrific! 'My' brands center on American's, Monarch's and certain Lodge & Shipley's, so appreciation toward HES has some foundation.

Thank you for your help.
Wayne

Sounds like you have an emotional problem to lash out like that.
Trying to get back at the world for your perceived misfortune
is not a rational thing to do.

-D

Back