What's new
What's new

Holbrook model C ($4500 Washington)

alcro1998

Cast Iron
I have no affiliation with the seller but just randomly came across this Holbrook model C lathe for sale. I would LOVE to go look at this machine but I am in Ohio. I have heard of them and it looks like an awesome beast! Figured someone on here might be in the area and want it. Not sure if posting Craigslist links in allowed but I have seen them in the past.

Holbrook Lathe 12"x20" - tools - by owner - sale

Only an hour away from me, but she might be a little portly for my garage. I've been reading up on them all morning, tho -- very interesting. And I'm still getting over my last lathe 'upgrade' (Feeler cabinet under my heavy ten).

BTW, she's marked C13, not a 12 as advertised.

Only an hour away from me, but she might be a little portly for my garage. I've been reading up on them all morning, tho -- very interesting. And I'm still getting over my last lathe 'upgrade' (Feeler cabinet under my heavy ten).

BTW, she's marked C13, not a 12 as advertised.

They look like amazing machines. Id love to just see it in person but its an entire country away practically. Looks to have decent tooling as well with an aloris post and what looks to be all aloris tool holders. Also appears to have the steady rest and follow rest!

alcro you can just stop complaining right now -- Ohio! Do you have any idea what it's like in the West?

If you leave out S.California, 90% of the machinery is between Ohio and the Atlantic beaches!

Machines like the one here will show up maybe once in a short lifetime. Which makes it very hard to forget. If you haven't already, read the C-series pages in Machine tool archives. Awesome machine.

Ah, rustytool, Collector’s Holbrook was a C10 (that I knew from when Collector owned it) and I thought you bought his. Did you have two Holbrooks? Because the one in this thread is a C13.

L7

I guess it's not my old C10.
When I saw a Holbrook for sale in Spokane I figured it had to be mine because how many Holbrooks could be in Spokane.
Turns out at least two.

I’m amazed at how many high end tools show up for sale near Spokane. Nearby nuclear labs? Boeing? Other reason?

L7

One word: wow!
I hadn't heard of Holbrook until I saw this thread. I just spent about four hours reading about the company and the machines they produced. I own two South Bends (neither of which is currently running) and it will be awhile before I have the need for a machine of this accuracy. But when I do I may end up with a Holbrook. Thanks for posting this, alcro!
For those who are interested, this is worth a little time:
An Apprentiship at Holbrook

Hanford is indescribable, what it was or what it is now, like a city in the middle of nowhere. There were countless shops filled with the best machines available at the time. I have 7 machines from there.
Up to around 10 years ago there was George Washington Machinery, at Moses Lake one of the largest surplus machine dealers in the country, members here would complain constantly, about the owner, because they didn't do their home work, and could not cope in a fast moving situation like that. The best machines were sold before they were unloaded at the facility.
Also there is the Umatilla Chemical Weapons depot, that also had Defense Reserve storage, where like new, rebuilt, or new machines filtered out over the years.
Poorly listed sales, auctions, and good old theft, there are many machines tucked into potato sheds, barns and garages still.
As the locals here that hoard this stuff die off, their family wants to get rid of it, and they will pay to have it hauled off!

Back