How to not get ripped off on ebay? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rbahr View Post

That said, as a buyer, it can be a real hassle to return stuff - you need to pay for shipping and now ebay makes you use their shipping (or at least tries to), the reviews you see are all designed to make the seller look good...

It is possible to get good deals, but it is not easy, craigslist is generally better...

Ray
    If a buyer files a case, the cost of return shipping is on the seller. How not to get ripped off on ebay? Don't buy name brand stuff from China! If you get something you are not happy with, just file a case and make up an excuse like "not as described" or "does not work", ebay will side with you and seller pays return shipping or you get to keep it for free. About the only way I can think of to get ripped off on ebay is to sell something...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just some info specific to Albrecht chucks (which is where I bought a couple); I may have posted this info previously --

Royal Products does refurb/repair and sells new Albrecht chucks in the US. I bought a couple off eBay, for minimal dollars, found them somewhat usable but not great. Beginning of last year, I decided to see what Royal would charge for refurb on both. They quoted me replacement chuck costs, as they stated the chuck repair would cost more than replacing. So the nice part was the actual cost, about $230 plus/minus for each, and they kept the junky ones. I had spent $50 on one from eBay, and I think $60 for the other. Good deal as I saw it compared to new price from distributor.

3. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by specfab View Post
    Just some info specific to Albrecht chucks (which is where I bought a couple); I may have posted this info previously --

Royal Products does refurb/repair and sells new Albrecht chucks in the US. I bought a couple off eBay, for minimal dollars, found them somewhat usable but not great. Beginning of last year, I decided to see what Royal would charge for refurb on both. They quoted me replacement chuck costs, as they stated the chuck repair would cost more than replacing. So the nice part was the actual cost, about $230 plus/minus for each, and they kept the junky ones. I had spent $50 on one from eBay, and I think $60 for the other. Good deal as I saw it compared to new price from distributor.
    Now that's something worth looking into! I have a couple smaller Albrecht's that I would like to rebuild, if they're doing a good job at a decent price then I'll give them a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

USPS tracking says the chuck has been delivered to the OP.

Edit: And he's got it, and states that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

OK, he didn't say that. He does like it though.
    Last edited by Milland; 04-18-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And the second, used chuck I pictured has been shipped, tracking info sent.