What's new
What's new

Induma "Supermill" universal horizontal mill PROJECT for sale

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
I'm going to get some more recent pictures as the mill is cleaner and more in one piece than pictured.
Induma Supermill.jpg
DSC01633.jpg
I was never able to find much info, or even a manual, for this one. It's a Universal (swiveling table) horizontal with a 7 HP 50 taper spindle and all the XYZ feeds and rapids mills like these typically have. Made by Induma in Italy, who are still around but no apparent representation in the USA anymore.

We got it in our shop merger back in 2006 and I'd put a bit of work into bring it back to life, but I've decided to let it go. I've cleaned most all of the dried cutting oil out of it, flushed the lubrication reservoirs and cleaned out oil lines, sorted out the electrical (started as a bad hack job), and did some other minor repairs.

Now the reason it's a PROJECT. The biggest issue is that the power feeds don't work in some speeds/directions, and work intermittently in others. IMO there are some damaged gears inside the knee that will need to be repaired or replaced. I never got deep enough into it to confirm where the issue(s) are. The feed is controlled by it's own reversing motor which works, but the contactors don't always latch so you'll need to replace those as well. The cover panel for the electrical box is missing and you'll need to fab a new one.

SO, those issues aside, the spindle runs fairly quietly in all speeds, but I never had a chance to test it for run-out. All the axis work manually (just no power feed). It has an integrated coolant pump that works fine. It includes 1 arbor support and the ram braces, and a swiveling vertical head with parking attachment (50 taper, no quill) that drives off of the spindle keys (no missing drive gear). No vise or arbors.

$300 OBO. The mill is currently sitting in a warehouse in Yoakum, TX, but will likely be moved here to Conroe, TX in the coming months.

If no one takes the whole machine, I'll hang onto the attachments in case someone needs them and scrap the machine. I'll see about getting dimensions off of the attachments too in case they'll fit other machines. Damages aside, It's a heavy well built horizontal, so hopefully someone would like the challenge of fixing it.

As it currently sits (not as clean as I remember, but this is it's "as-is" state).

20180908_021513.jpg
20180908_021525.jpg
20180908_021612.jpg
20180908_021539.jpg
20180908_021619.jpg

Note the work lamp and stack lamp I added while updating the electrical. The feed limits work by interrupting the feed motor, so I added the stack lamp so you could keep tabs on whether the mill was still cutting from across the shop.

20180908_021602.jpg
Serial number 1124767
20180908_021551.jpg

These are the only tags on the machine. The top one indicates that the machine was built to "Stanimuc" standards, which seems to be some kind of European industrial standard. The bottom tag indicates which oils to use and also is the only place the "Induma" name and logo still appear.

I've seen Induma horizontals that were similar to this one but different enough to be newer/older generations, and never one just like it. On the others, the cast cover below the tags had the "Induma" name and origin info cast into them, but this one looks like they were ground off, perhaps by the dealer in the previous photos (I've seen dealers do things like that trying to protect their sources).

I picked up the mill this weekend and brought it too our main shop in Conroe. Before bringing it out of the building I hooked it back up and tried to get it running.

The contactors actually seems to be working, but I think the feed motor is physically held back by the gear train which is keeping it from coming on and blowing the thermal overload. A couple times I was able to get it running and the rapid is dead, vertical and cross travel won't go, and the table feeds but is jolty at times like there's a bad gear or something. These issues were all compounded when it took a spill while loading and one end of the table was damaged. If this was the only problem, I'd say i got off lucky as one hand-wheel will need to be welded and the lead-screw end might be bent (nothing else broke), but everything together is making me call the curtain on this one.

So this afternoon I pulled off all the salvageable items, like the new parts I had put in and any generic components that might be useful elsewhere.

I'm saving the vertical attachment, parking arm, arbor support, ram, and ram support brackets. I'll post picks and dimensions in a new thread in case the'll fit someone else's Horizontal.

Sad to see it go, but I think this one had had it with the rough American manufacturing it saw. It's time to go into the melting pot....

Any parts left?

I have a working induma supermill not far from you. You have anymore parts leftover? I may be interested.

I picked up the mill this weekend and brought it too our main shop in Conroe. Before bringing it out of the building I hooked it back up and tried to get it running.

The contactors actually seems to be working, but I think the feed motor is physically held back by the gear train which is keeping it from coming on and blowing the thermal overload. A couple times I was able to get it running and the rapid is dead, vertical and cross travel won't go, and the table feeds but is jolty at times like there's a bad gear or something. These issues were all compounded when it took a spill while loading and one end of the table was damaged. If this was the only problem, I'd say i got off lucky as one hand-wheel will need to be welded and the lead-screw end might be bent (nothing else broke), but everything together is making me call the curtain on this one.

So this afternoon I pulled off all the salvageable items, like the new parts I had put in and any generic components that might be useful elsewhere.

I'm saving the vertical attachment, parking arm, arbor support, ram, and ram support brackets. I'll post picks and dimensions in a new thread in case the'll fit someone else's Horizontal.

Sad to see it go, but I think this one had had it with the rough American manufacturing it saw. It's time to go into the melting pot....

Back