What's new
What's new

ISO 7x12 Horizontal Bandsaw

TripleCautionMW

Plastic
Hi Everyone - I am looking to add larger saw capacity in my small home shop. I currently get by with a cheap Harbor Freight saw that is driving me absolutely insane. I don't often do anything over 6" in diameter but I would like to have some additional capacity for growth. I am looking for a good used 7" x 12" horizontal band saw with hydraulic feed and coolant. I am located in central Maine but I don't mind traveling to NH or MA for a good deal. I have searched Craigslist and FB Marketplace religiously for the past few months and all the good deals are gone a few hours before I get to them. That is why I am turning to the PM audience for some assistance in locating a good saw that may need a little love but overall works as intended. Let me know if you have something you're looking to get rid of or may know of one tucked away in another member's back shed. Thanks everyone!

-Jon

I think you need to just hover over E-bay like a vulture. The good deals are quickly snatched up. I have a old Kysor-Johnson that had a fried motor I bought for $300, 20 years ago, it is still rolling along. Be warned those things are heavier than they look, probably 900-1,000 pounds.

The Kysor Johnson is on casters, that is handy. I think I would try to get him down to $750 and take it at that price. Like I said that thing is 900-1000 pounds. Unlike the 300 pound HF model.

Yep, not HF prices but not HF metal either. Couple good saws.

This is tempting because 1 it’s local and 2 it’s cheap. Does anyone have experience with these saws? I know it’s not a Kysor but will it perform and last.

It most likely has Chinese motor on it which will either die and or catch fire sooner than it should. Also it only weighs 337#. There are a lot of cheap plastic parts on it that a good saw will have made of metal.

This is tempting because 1 it’s local and 2 it’s cheap. Does anyone have experience with these saws? I know it’s not a Kysor but will it perform and last.

I bought one years ago mainly for hacking up rems for tooling. I once used it to cut 8" dia 4130 into 1" thick slugs. They came out straighter and squarer than from Fry steel, and that one job alone paid for the saw.

I bought one years ago

I think that is the key, a lot of the Central Machinery branded stuff has went way downhill quality wise. I saw one in the mid 90's a shop was using and it didn't look too bad. I allowed a fellow machinist friend use some of my shop space to set his dad up to do some work his employer allowed him to take home. He brought a Central Machinery horizontal bandsaw this was about 2008 or so. I don't think it was a year before it caught fire, worse thing it was parked next to an open bin rolling rack of hardware supplies. I had to unload a fire extinguisher on it, filling all the bins of nuts, bolts, air fitting etc with dry chem. Every time I hear Central Machinery saws I think of fire.

I would do the HFT and use my 20% off coupon. If it doesn't perform you can always tweek it to your liking. Buy it in NH and save the sales tax :)

I am looking to add larger saw capacity in my small home shop. I currently get by with a cheap Harbor Freight saw that is driving me absolutely insane.
-Jon
And your still talking about getting the one from HF, when you stated the above in the original post. What makes them any different now?

the two mission critical points on a saw are guides and vice- that saw has neither.
An good abrasive saw with coolant is a better option than a poor scissor saw.
A single horse is not enough for 4 inch material if you run sized blade. A portaband has more umph...a portaband. A porta band also has better quality vice.

And your still talking about getting the one from HF, when you stated the above in the original post. What makes them any different now?

I think he has the small 4 x 6 HF saw and he is talking about buying a 7 x 12. It is more than just a bigger piece of junk, they are considerably sturdier. The 4 x 6 my friend bought was so flimsy it was easy to tip over if you had it in the vertical position. The legs were made of very thin sheet metal that folded under easy. The 7 x 12 is made better than that.

Back