What's new
What's new

J. S. Wheeler & Co., Iron Planer

JGard911

Plastic
Any interest in this iron planer? It is located in Waltham, MA in the machine shop of the Frank E. Randall Company.
Would probably be willing to sell it for the cost of moving it out of the basement where it is located.
IMG_7852.jpg IMG_7853.jpg

I will take a guess that the table is about 20 inches wide and 8 feet long. The vise jaws might be about 12 inches wide. The owner can provide a better measurement now that he knows what dimensions are wanted.

What do you think about weight? Maybe 10,000 pounds?

I recognize the back of a Brown & Sharpe No. 2 surface grinder like mine to the left of the planer.

Larry

I have been away on vacation for a couple of weeks. I will post the dimensions of the table in the next couple of days.

according to Cope, JS Wheeler made planers "until 1905".
That machine looks like a late one.
(The sole illustration in Cope is based on a Wood & Light early planer. So weights posted in Cope would be suspect)
If Larry is correct that it has an 8' table, then there's no way it is 10K lbs. Even the later JS Wheeler planers are up on legs, and not exactly heavy pattern, though heavier than the early machines. That is a curious and nice looking table casting.

Most planer weights are listed without the drives, so add some back on.

I'm going to guess it is a 6' rated planer about 25" or 26" wide between columns with a table slightly shorter tnan 8', and weighs about 6,000 lbs. :)

OTOH, 22" x 22" x 5' seems to have been a popular size, so if the table is shorter than the perspective makes it look, the machine might weigh only 5,000 - 5,500lbs.

Does it look like this one from the side?

Inland Massachusetts Illustrated: A Concise Resume of the Natural Features ... - Google Books

smt

The bed of the planer measures 18" wide x 48" long (not measuring what looks to be oil reservoirs on each end). Hope this helps.

That sounds correct. I visited the shop yesterday and saw the planer- It appears to be in good shape. Very little rust, no obvious issues, the vise is present. It has a newer Baldor motor powering it but otherwise seems to be intact/original.

It is in an awkward spot in terms of getting it out- picture a residential basement with only the hatchway for access (unless I missed something). Would likely need serious disassembly. But very worth it!

Thanks so much for visiting yesterday Burton. I was really amazed with your level of expertise, but even more importantly, your passion and integrity. I did laugh when your buddy suggested it might be hard to find someone more passionate about the older machines than you. :)

Thanks so much for visiting yesterday Burton. I was really amazed with your level of expertise, but even more importantly, your passion and integrity. I did laugh when your buddy suggested it might be hard to find someone more passionate about the older machines than you. :)

Not difficult as one may think; but vintage machine tools aren't a goldmine, once employed a ROI is lengthy. That said, I continue my toolroom project and a planer would be an asset; though short table is NOT a good selling point.
I'll PM my contact details. Rigging it out will be a serious undertaking, very likely the structure was built around it, not moved into it.

Back