What's new
What's new

L+S powerturn FS

What's the weight on that ?

BTW nice looking, have driven one a time or two.
Like it above an American.

Price seems very good as well.

I used one of the 1610s for over 20yrs in my hydraulics shop, the machine really did a great job. They have the ball stop device for threading, the carriage is the definition of heavy, the head stock 48" long!
I bought it in the late or mid 80s for $10000, that was a bargain back then.
I didnt find the 2000 rpm top speed usable, just too much metal moving too fast in a big machine.
The machine is classed as a mid size heavy duty engine lathe, like a model B American.

The little center knob on the head stock is turned to the speed you want, then through the miracle of ancient optical tubing, little dots light up, and you move the headstock shift levers to the lights, and all your shifting worries are solved!
If you have to deal with special leads, or metric threads, the rear cover comes off and there is the "pick off" end gear train, huge compartment unlike American or Monarch.

What's the weight on that ?

BTW nice looking, have driven one a time or two.
Like it above an American.

Price seems very good as well.

Galis had but the one that "new". ISTR it had a 12 foot bed? We had one 8-footer, ALL the others were ten or twelve.

"Time or two" was about it, though!

Clay S__ was the only "Machinist First" on 2d shift, so it was "HIS" lathe unless a really gnarly tasking was up.

Then he and foreman George A_ would have a chat. And it was mine for the night! Tough jobs weren't really so "tough" on a lathe that good.

Sure was nicer than one of the older 1930's L&S, and waaaay to HELL and gone nicer than a Niles!

:D

Mining, rail, heavy equipment, heavy marine, mill support? This size is yer meal ticket!

Looks good enough the price could be pure philantrophy, too. Somebody should grab it!

I stopped in to look at the lathe and meet Mebfab. The lathe is awesome, great condition. Mebfab is a very straight forward and great to talk to. Lots of cool machinery in his shop.

Unfortunately, I am passing on the lathe as I am winding down in my shop and doing more consulting work. Otherwise I would make the trip to pick it up.

Thanks for taking the time Mebfab, I had... still have a hard time saying no to the lathe.

Back