What's new
What's new

Landis 36" cylindrical grinder

Lock

Aluminum
Any interest, was mid resto when old man passed has been painted but isn't fully assembled. Tired of it taking up storage. What kinda value do these have?

regards,

Lock

Where is your location? Might be interested if all of it is still findable, and a reasonable price set. Does it have an ID attachment?

Where is your location? Might be interested if all of it is still findable, and a reasonable price set. Does it have an ID attachment?

Kalispell area, pretty sure it has id attachment. Going in am to take some pics for a few others and will post them here aswell

IMG_7721.jpgIMG_7722.jpgIMG_7722.jpgIMG_7723.jpgIMG_7729.jpgIMG_7730.jpg

hopefully this works... there's a box full of hardware and parts, not sure if there is an id attachment or not...

hopefully this works... there's a box full of hardware and parts, not sure if there is an id attachment or not...
Looks like a 6 x 18 C or CH. Had one very much like that, nice grinder. It's partially disassembled, hope all the parts are there. Most likely no ID attachment, it'd be a swingdown, the wheelhead doesn't spin around. That's pretty much a production grinder. (Doesn't mean you can't use it for one-offs, just that it is more of a plain cylindrical than toolroom universal type.) It'll hold tenths all day long.

Get real folks... dump it
That's about as stupid a statement as I've seen you make, and that's going some. It's a great cylindrical grinder. Decent size for a small shop. Accurate, and nice to run, and this one doesn't look all rusty. Unfortunately, they don't bring big bucks (sorry, OP) but well worth having. Not as sexy as a 1R but a damn good grinder.

I bet even the Buckster backs me up on this one.

That's about as stupid a statement as I've seen you make, and that's going some. It's a great cylindrical grinder. Decent size for a small shop. Accurate, and nice to run, and this one doesn't look all rusty. Unfortunately, they don't bring big bucks (sorry, OP) but well worth having. Not as sexy as a 1R but a damn good grinder.

I bet even the Buckster backs me up on this one.

I hooked you...

I knew that within 10 minutes that I would have distracted you out of your "busy schedule".

The fact is; the photos show a grinder in complete disarray with major parts missing.

Who is going to buy this POS?

Good night Goldfinger, you need to save for the shipping cost of your beloved boat anchor.

I hooked you...

I knew that within 10 minutes that I would have distracted you out of your "busy schedule".

The fact is; the photos show a grinder in complete disarray with major parts missing.

Who is going to buy this POS?

Good night Goldfinger, you need to save for the shipping cost of your beloved boat anchor.

not that I give a poop what you think but I bought a wf wells w9 bandsaw in similar disassembly for $500 the po had lost interest and I got a great deal and had it running and back together in less than a day. I suspect the same could be said for this and could be a great addition to a repair shop working on hydraulic cylinders and such. Also you being from CA you have no shortage of machines floating around, here in MT its not so easy to go grab x from the next town over... we just don't have the industry here.

Loch, You might buy a decent 6" 8" or large honing stone and hone the top with the fine flat side and oil hone the top with making figure 8s, with the stone coming 1/4 off the top as you go/hone about the top, with turning the stone 180* often, careful to hold down the stone dead flat. It is an important job and perhaps you will find a top not pitted. You hone evenly with counting your figure 8s as you keep even honing, wipe clean the table often, rinse your stone often in spirits, trying to get to the original manufactures surface with trying to not change the flatness.

Find the headstock and tail centers, set out parts, and take/post a photo.

Good that things are tightened properly so if you are not a machine mechanic it might be good to find help putting things back together. *Don't wire brush and number dials.

For now, you might wipe all the bare metal with lubrication oil (not automotive crankcase oil)

This stone (using the smooth(fine grit) side.)
Norton Abrasives - St. Gobain 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India Combination Oilstone, Red, One Size: Sharpening Stones: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

not that I give a poop what you think but I bought a wf wells w9 bandsaw in similar disassembly for $500 the po had lost interest and I got a great deal and had it running and back together in less than a day. I suspect the same could be said for this and could be a great addition to a repair shop working on hydraulic cylinders and such..

Not the in the same league as a horizontal bandsaw.....sorry.

Where is the headstock & tailstock ?

It might still be a good deal, it all comes down to price.

Don't neglect the handling side of the equation. OD grinders are heavy. Even if its only a 6 x 18 like EG suggests its probably still 4500#, if its a 12 x 36 its probably over 8,000. If its a production grinder add 20%. Then add in the fact it is in an area with very low population density.

Free, you remove, may be the best possible deal for the seller. The cost of keeping the house off the market for 1 month will be far greater than the extra dollar the seller may be able to get from the grinder by working hard to market a pig in a poke.

Don't neglect the handling side of the equation. OD grinders are heavy. Even if its only a 6 x 18 like EG suggests its probably still 4500#, if its a 12 x 36 its probably over 8,000. If its a production grinder add 20%. Then add in the fact it is in an area with very low population density.

Free, you remove, may be the best possible deal for the seller. The cost of keeping the house off the market for 1 month will be far greater than the extra dollar the seller may be able to get from the grinder by working hard to market a pig in a poke.

Yup, like I've said before. I gave my Landis away with an ID grinder attachment. It could split a tenth all day.

alright so the tag confirms its a 6x30, has a 7.5hp spindle. I found the belt drive and tailstock today and will work with the owner to locate headstock and wheel arbor.

Back