Landis 36" cylindrical grinder
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Landis 36" cylindrical grinder

    Any interest, was mid resto when old man passed has been painted but isn't fully assembled. Tired of it taking up storage. What kinda value do these have?

    regards,

    Lock

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4902
    Likes (Received)
    5205

    Default

    In mint, it is worth much
    Landis 3R Universal O.D. Grinder - tools - by dealer - sale

    You might ask 10 or 12k and find that you cant give it away.

    14281 Landis 14” x 36” Universal ID/OD Grinder, Model 2R Universal | eBay

    A world-class grinder. A few are as good but none are better IMHO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    55

    Default

    Pictures and price will help a lot, also loading requirements? Any other details you have will help.

  4. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post

    A world-class grinder. A few are as good but none are better IMHO.
    Unless it was left outside for qty (20) years, and dragged home with a logging chain down a dirt road....

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    257
    Likes (Received)
    169

    Default

    Where is your location? Might be interested if all of it is still findable, and a reasonable price set. Does it have an ID attachment?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronf View Post
    Where is your location? Might be interested if all of it is still findable, and a reasonable price set. Does it have an ID attachment?
    Kalispell area, pretty sure it has id attachment. Going in am to take some pics for a few others and will post them here aswell

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    32,466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Going in am to take some pics for a few others and will post them here aswell
    One of the how-to threads if needed

    Posting Pictures on the South Bend Forum

    ph

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    img_7721.jpgimg_7722.jpgimg_7722.jpgimg_7723.jpgimg_7729.jpgimg_7730.jpg

    hopefully this works... there's a box full of hardware and parts, not sure if there is an id attachment or not...

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    9,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lock View Post
    hopefully this works... there's a box full of hardware and parts, not sure if there is an id attachment or not...
    Looks like a 6 x 18 C or CH. Had one very much like that, nice grinder. It's partially disassembled, hope all the parts are there. Most likely no ID attachment, it'd be a swingdown, the wheelhead doesn't spin around. That's pretty much a production grinder. (Doesn't mean you can't use it for one-offs, just that it is more of a plain cylindrical than toolroom universal type.) It'll hold tenths all day long.

  11. Likes Lock liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,249
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    245
    Likes (Received)
    348

    Default

    Get real folks... dump it

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    9,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Get real folks... dump it
    That's about as stupid a statement as I've seen you make, and that's going some. It's a great cylindrical grinder. Decent size for a small shop. Accurate, and nice to run, and this one doesn't look all rusty. Unfortunately, they don't bring big bucks (sorry, OP) but well worth having. Not as sexy as a 1R but a damn good grinder.

    I bet even the Buckster backs me up on this one.

  14. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,249
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    245
    Likes (Received)
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    That's about as stupid a statement as I've seen you make, and that's going some. It's a great cylindrical grinder. Decent size for a small shop. Accurate, and nice to run, and this one doesn't look all rusty. Unfortunately, they don't bring big bucks (sorry, OP) but well worth having. Not as sexy as a 1R but a damn good grinder.

    I bet even the Buckster backs me up on this one.


    I hooked you...

    I knew that within 10 minutes that I would have distracted you out of your "busy schedule".


    The fact is; the photos show a grinder in complete disarray with major parts missing.

    Who is going to buy this POS?

    Good night Goldfinger, you need to save for the shipping cost of your beloved boat anchor.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    I hooked you...

    I knew that within 10 minutes that I would have distracted you out of your "busy schedule".


    The fact is; the photos show a grinder in complete disarray with major parts missing.

    Who is going to buy this POS?

    Good night Goldfinger, you need to save for the shipping cost of your beloved boat anchor.
    not that I give a poop what you think but I bought a wf wells w9 bandsaw in similar disassembly for $500 the po had lost interest and I got a great deal and had it running and back together in less than a day. I suspect the same could be said for this and could be a great addition to a repair shop working on hydraulic cylinders and such. Also you being from CA you have no shortage of machines floating around, here in MT its not so easy to go grab x from the next town over... we just don't have the industry here.

  17. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
  18. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4902
    Likes (Received)
    5205

    Default

    Loch, You might buy a decent 6" 8" or large honing stone and hone the top with the fine flat side and oil hone the top with making figure 8s, with the stone coming 1/4 off the top as you go/hone about the top, with turning the stone 180* often, careful to hold down the stone dead flat. It is an important job and perhaps you will find a top not pitted. You hone evenly with counting your figure 8s as you keep even honing, wipe clean the table often, rinse your stone often in spirits, trying to get to the original manufactures surface with trying to not change the flatness.

    Find the headstock and tail centers, set out parts, and take/post a photo.

    Good that things are tightened properly so if you are not a machine mechanic it might be good to find help putting things back together. *Don't wire brush and number dials.

    For now, you might wipe all the bare metal with lubrication oil (not automotive crankcase oil)

    This stone (using the smooth(fine grit) side.)
    Norton Abrasives - St. Gobain 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India Combination Oilstone, Red, One Size: Sharpening Stones: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

  19. Likes Lock liked this post
  20. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lock View Post
    not that I give a poop what you think but I bought a wf wells w9 bandsaw in similar disassembly for $500 the po had lost interest and I got a great deal and had it running and back together in less than a day. I suspect the same could be said for this and could be a great addition to a repair shop working on hydraulic cylinders and such..
    Not the in the same league as a horizontal bandsaw.....sorry.

    Where is the headstock & tailstock ?

    It might still be a good deal, it all comes down to price.

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,797
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    632
    Likes (Received)
    4524

    Default

    Don't neglect the handling side of the equation. OD grinders are heavy. Even if its only a 6 x 18 like EG suggests its probably still 4500#, if its a 12 x 36 its probably over 8,000. If its a production grinder add 20%. Then add in the fact it is in an area with very low population density.

    Free, you remove, may be the best possible deal for the seller. The cost of keeping the house off the market for 1 month will be far greater than the extra dollar the seller may be able to get from the grinder by working hard to market a pig in a poke.

  22. Likes Ray Behner, michiganbuck liked this post
  23. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brunswick Oh USA
    Posts
    4,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5732
    Likes (Received)
    2926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Don't neglect the handling side of the equation. OD grinders are heavy. Even if its only a 6 x 18 like EG suggests its probably still 4500#, if its a 12 x 36 its probably over 8,000. If its a production grinder add 20%. Then add in the fact it is in an area with very low population density.

    Free, you remove, may be the best possible deal for the seller. The cost of keeping the house off the market for 1 month will be far greater than the extra dollar the seller may be able to get from the grinder by working hard to market a pig in a poke.
    Yup, like I've said before. I gave my Landis away with an ID grinder attachment. It could split a tenth all day.

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4902
    Likes (Received)
    5205

    Default

    +The headstock is a huge part, as big or bigger than the wheel head(spindle).so pretty easy to know if you have those (head and tail).

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    32,466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    +The headstock is a huge part, as big or bigger than the wheel head(spindle).so pretty easy to know if you have those (head and tail).

    And as a Universal, the HS will swivel - and maybe even have some dedicated spindle tooling - like chuck, face plate, etc

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    alright so the tag confirms its a 6x30, has a 7.5hp spindle. I found the belt drive and tailstock today and will work with the owner to locate headstock and wheel arbor.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •