What's new
What's new

Lodge Shipley Powerturn - Baton Rouge

tim9lives

Hot Rolled
Looks like a decent price for what may be an awesome lathe.

I have absolutely nothing to do with this. I happened upon it while looking at Craigslist tools.

Powerturns are supposed to be one of the best engine lathes made and according to Lathes.UK.... were manufactured in the 50’s and 60’s

He’s asking 3500.00 but from the pictures it looks like it hasn’t been run in a while. Surface rust on the ways but it’s been inside from the looks of the picture.

Anyway, if I had space and time....and I guess 3 grand to burn... I’d go look at it. Who knows, one might be able to talk down price since it looks like it’s not hooked up right now.

Just thought I’d post it since they are such overbuilt engine lathes which I think ran up to 2000 rpm. Read a few threads and some people were saying they ran about 8000 pounds.

Large Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Ha its actually in Plaquemine which is 10 minutes from me. Ive got a message out to the guy. Id imagine that it came from the old Nadlers foundry that shut down.
fyi on a sidenote, the town of Plaquemine was the test run for the construction of the Panama Canal. It and the Nadler foundry used the large gears to open and close the locks and many were still in use in panama until recently. These large gears were then used in the Sugarmills to drive the crushers and grinders for the cane when that became a mechanized process.

Plaquemine Lock State Historic Site | Plaquemine, LA

Yes...a very sweet machine. Lodge and Shipley had a good rep as being top notch machines. And that's a "late model" version. Really up there with the best.
I hope it goes well for you Akajun. Normally I wouldn't have posted a Craigslist on PM but I was actually hoping someone local would see the listing. Thats why I put Baton Rouge in the heading.

Update, I know the guy selling it, hes selling it for his employer. Im supposed to check it out next week. Ill let yall know.

Oh, man. I've wanted a PowerTurn since I joined here (2 1/2 years). I think you'd have a hard time finding one with that many features and accessories for a better price.
I hope you get it, akajun!

Back