What's new
What's new

looking for 24x36" surface plate near or shipped to Seattle

metalmagpie

Titanium
I see quite a few surface plates come around for sale but they are always on the east coast. Or else they are 5-7X the price and here on the west coast. I can't afford $1200 for a surface plate. I don't need to be told to look at auctions or how a whole warehouse of them went to the dump because nobody would take them. I have a reliable vendor to certify/relap the plate. Don't really want one from Grizzly but would take one if I had to.

I do get around a fair amount. Pretty much anything west of the Rockies is within thinkable range.

Leads welcome.

metalmagpie

I have one that I purchased new in the late 80s, I haven't used it in the last 30 years. Let me get a good look at it, and I will get back at you. I'm located off of HWY 50 in between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe.

You say you have a reliable vendor who can certify and relap the plate In that case, a grade B cheaply plus the relap might get you where you want to go. It's like buying a used plate cheaply that needs work.

I’d avoid B grade plates. Easier to lap an A back to A grade as the plate will start off thicker/stiffer. Talk with your lap/certification guys- many won’t cert a B grade any higher even after lapping due to how thin they are.

Also if possible, get a bigger plate. Amazing how much extra space is needed for measuring gack around whatever lump you’re measuring. My compromise is 30x48 (to go thru doors) and wouldn’t go smaller.

Regards,
L7

Back