What's new
What's new

Looking for a benchtop cnc mill...

Kurt6464

Plastic
I've been a machinist for about 30 years and have programmed and operated just about every cnc machine type around. Now that information is out of the way, I'm in the market for a benchtop cnc mill. ATC is not necessary as this is for in my garage and more or less a hobby machine. It must be able to machine true 3D (mainly for thread milling) but tapping ability would be a big plus as well. Space is limited, so I need to keep a small footprint but I don't want a jewelry machine either. I need 4" drill stroke and around 15" x and 8" y travel with at least 10" of z clearance. What do you have or recommend? Thanks in advance.

Knew two folks that had Tormach machines (a website advertiser, too!) and they were happy enough with them.

If you understand the machine's limitations up front, it goes a long ways towards making for a satisfied buyer, eh.

As long as you understand that the benchtops are not gonna run 30hp, 30K rpms, and 3000 inches a minute feeds, like as not, you can be happy too!

I ended up buying a surplussed out Milltronics knee mill, and quit looking too hard at the various Import and locally modified Import mills about then.

Given the general state of stuff around the planet, if you are in a high turnover machine tool area, you might be better off with an older Fadal or such, if you can spare the space. Have seen the odd used Haas go by for peanuts too.

I started off exactly where you are at 3 years ago, spent a lot of time evaluating many different options including MDA Precision, and many others. Ultimately decided there were too many compromises in the benchtop category and went with the smallest Brother Speedio available, very very happy with my decision...zero compromises and matches my small workpiece (and work space) requirements but with all the quality I could ask for.

Re: dental machine.

My dentist has one. He scanned my tooth before grinding the whole top off. Then again after. The software in this little CNC 5 ax machine is impressive. With just the scans it manufactured a replacement crown. Looked like the operator just had to push the green button.

Back